Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 11-08-2019, 05:37 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Bug in 12.2.0 — Auto Shut Off issue

Every now and then (about once a week) my Vision 4's screen locks up. Everything comes back fine after a quick restart — except there's one change in settings which has bitten me a couple times. The "Sleep & energy saving" mode changes from Shut off "After 5 minutes" of inactivity to "Never" shut off. A couple times I haven't turned off my Vision 4 and I come to it the next day and the battery is dead.

Just something to watch for. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next firmware release. I haven't noticed it in my other Tolino devices, but the Vision 4 gets most of my use.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:49 PM   #2
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I've had to restart a couple of times but I just checked the sleep setting and it's still on 15 minutes, as I set it. Hope it stays that way!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:54 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I've had to restart a couple of times but I just checked the sleep setting and it's still on 15 minutes, as I set it. Hope it stays that way!
I've only noticed this on the Vision 4, so it might something specific to that model — or possibly something specific to my particular unit. Now that I know about it, it's not a big deal. I think I'll try 15 minutes also.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:54 AM   #4
Moonbase59
Zealot
Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Tolino Vision 5, Tolino Tab 8"
Tolino Alliance sucks on user-reported bugs. You have to report bugs to the registered book dealer, and they don’t care much. There is no central service or bug tracker for end users.

FYI, this darn bug is still in my Tolino Vision 5 (software 14.2.0), even though reported many times over the years …

After each crash or restart, the auto shut off time is reset to "Never", often resulting in the reader staying on for days and sucking the battery empty. This happens with both 5 and 15 minutes setting. It also doesn’t help to set Android’s timeout via the Debug Options → AOSP Settings.
Moonbase59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:22 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbase59 View Post
FYI, this darn bug is still in my Tolino Vision 5 (software 14.2.0), even though reported many times over the years …

After each crash or restart, the auto shut off time is reset to "Never", often resulting in the reader staying on for days and sucking the battery empty. This happens with both 5 and 15 minutes setting. It also doesn’t help to set Android’s timeout via the Debug Options → AOSP Settings.
My Vision 4 is finally working right (as of 14.1.0, I believe). I'm not sure what I did now, but it was something more than a Factory Reset. (Does the Tolino have a low-level memory wipe? It seems like that's what I did.) So there must have been some kind of corruption. (Maybe I've got some notes, somewhere — though it was one of those things I didn't think I would forget.)

At any rate there might be hope for you. My Vision 4 is retaining the 5 minute shut off setting now.

EDIT: I remember what I did now. I wiped all files and settings in Recovery Mode. I think I learned how to do it here (a German site)...

https://allesebook.de/anleitung/toli...y-modus-94661/

To get into recovery mode you simultaneously hold the "home" "key" (haptic key?) and the "light on" key, then touch the power key (while continuing to hold the other two keys. One of the options will be to "wipe all data settings" (or something like that). I did that and then upgraded, either to 13.2 or 14.1 (can't remember which) and the Vision 4 has worked right ever since.

(Just realized this will be different in the Vision 5, since it doesn't have these keys.)

Another Edit: Here's a German for getting recovery mode on a Vision 5.

https://papierlos-lesen.de/faq/wie-l...dus-versetzen/

As always, be cautious.

It looks like it's simpler for the Vision 5. Just completely turn it off, then hold the power button until the logo displays and then release it. From there it's supposed to switch to Recovery Mode on its own (takes a few seconds for this step, apparently).

To move in the Menu, you briefly press the power button. To make a selection you hold the power button.

EDIT YET AGAIN: You may know all of this and tried it — it's possible I just got lucky.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-19-2021 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:17 AM   #6
Moonbase59
Zealot
Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
My Vision 4 is finally working right (as of 14.1.0, I believe). I'm not sure what I did now, but it was something more than a Factory Reset. […]
Thanks for your detailed explanations. I’m using software 14.2.0 on my Vision 5, and yes, I did try a lot, even going into debug mode and modifying the AOSP settings, to no avail.

I’m still a little reluctant to do a recovery wipe, out of fear it might lose my eBook.de account and/or Onleihe settings. I also have nearly 900 books on it, many of them highlighted and annotated. (Why isn’t there some standard to get this info back from the devices?! …) So I’d probably lose these, too.

I might try your suggestion, though, whenever I’ve finished at least getting the corrections & annotations for the important books back onto my Linux system. Thanks again!
Old 10-19-2021, 05:44 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I’m still a little reluctant to do a recovery wipe, out of fear it might lose my eBook.de account and/or Onleihe settings. I also have nearly 900 books on it, many of them highlighted and annotated. (Why isn’t there some standard to get this info back from the devices?! …) So I’d probably lose these, too.
That's why I was reluctant to do it. I think it was more out frustration than anything else that I decided to go forward with it. Fortunately I was able to log back into Adobe and my bookstore when the upgrade was complete. But I had a lot less at stake than you do. No annotations and nowhere near 900 books, so it was a lot easier for me to "take a chance."
Old 12-27-2021, 12:47 PM   #8
Moonbase59
Zealot

It finally happened! After having rendered my Tolino Vision 5 unusable (no touch screen input anymore) by playing around with different launchers, OneToucher and Librera reader, I had to recover it today (including "wipe all data"). Firmware is 15.2.0.

The good news: It now keeps the 5 minute sleep timer, even after errors or restarts. Hooray!
Old 12-27-2021, 02:42 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
It finally happened! After having rendered my Tolino Vision 5 unusable (no touch screen input anymore) by playing around with different launchers, OneToucher and Librera reader, I had to recover it today (including "wipe all data"). Firmware is 15.2.0.

The good news: It now keeps the 5 minute sleep timer, even after errors or restarts. Hooray!
I'm glad to hear it. My Vision 4 has worked fine through the upgrades since the reset fixed it. I haven't gone to 15.2.0 yet. I'm still waiting for the new firmware to show up on Tolino's support site.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:29 AM   #10
Moonbase59
Zealot

Shouldn’t this be the 15.2.0 update for a Tolino Vision 4 HD?

For some reason, it only appears on mytolino.de, not mytolino.com.