Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
Lexi Revellian
Groupie
Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Unbelievably dumb question...

Sigil sounds just what I need, as I'm going to publish on Kindle and Smashwords.

I've downloaded Sigil and loaded my novel in HTML form on to it...but...

How do I get to WYSIWYG editing? If I click on Book View nothing happens.

The manual seems to be all general information, rather than step-by-step instructions - how the engine works, rather than how you drive the car.

I admit, this is not my area of expertise...

Last edited by Lexi Revellian; 07-25-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Lexi Revellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
Lexi Revellian
Groupie
Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, all apostrophes and double speech marks have been replaced by question marks in black diamonds. I can't correct them with Find and Replace, as that would remove the distinction between them and I'd end up with single speech marks.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi Revellian View Post
Also, all apostrophes and double speech marks have been replaced by question marks in black diamonds. I can't correct them with Find and Replace, as that would remove the distinction between them and I'd end up with single speech marks.
That *could* be due to an error in your HTML where the document specifies one set of character set but then is actually written in another character set. I have seen one novel where two different character sets were specified, and ended up causing problems similar to yours.
As for your previous question, what generated the HTML that you cannot see in Book View? There is apparently something out of order with the HTML that you imported, because Book View should be your default initial view. During import, Sigil runs the HTML through an HTML cleaner (Tidy), which may have not been able to produce clean HTML for import into Sigil?
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

Thanks, Dave; I wrote the book on Word 2000, then turned it into an HTML document with Mobipocket. (This version looks fine on the Kindle Preview, except it goes right to the edges of the screen.)

As I don't know HTML beyond the most basic how to do italics stuff, I am beginning to think I am totally out of my depth. I'm very concerned with getting the formatting correct for ereaders, and don't know the best way to do this.

Perhaps I should just hope the Kindle Preview is accurate, and that Smashwords Meatgrinder will sort out any problems for me. Or is this too optimistic?
Old 07-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Quote:
Sigil sounds just what I need, as I'm going to publish on Kindle and Smashwords.
For Smashwords, you will need to uplad your work as a *.doc file... which is a shame, because Meatgrinder is still putting "margin-top: 1em" as a paragraph setting in the ePub CSS, which means your first-line-indented paragraphs are all going to have ugly blank spaces separating the paragraphs, in any reader that acknowledges that property (such as the ePub files being sent to Apple's iBookstore).

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
You can try to save the Word document as filtered HTML and start from there. Actually Word is a terrible tool (in the bad sense) for producing HTML.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #7
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Season View Post
For Smashwords, you will need to uplad your work as a *.doc file... which is a shame, because Meatgrinder is still putting "margin-top: 1em" as a paragraph setting in the ePub CSS, which means your first-line-indented paragraphs are all going to have ugly blank spaces separating the paragraphs, in any reader that acknowledges that property (such as the ePub files being sent to Apple's iBookstore).

- M.
I was confident about my nicely formatted Word doc file until I read up a bit about it - the more I read, the more complex the whole business seems. Much harder than writing the novel...
Old 07-25-2010, 09:44 AM   #8
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
You can try to save the Word document as filtered HTML and start from there. Actually Word is a terrible tool (in the bad sense) for producing HTML.
That doesn't seem to be an option on Word 2000, pietvo.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was confident about my nicely formatted Word doc file until I read up a bit about it - the more I read, the more complex the whole business seems. Much harder than writing the novel...
I could not write a novel if my life depended on it, due to a lack of imagination.
As you have already heard, Word may be nice for writing, but it has some serious difficulties in producing clean HTML. The are various HTML repair tools like HTML Tidy for instance, but I have also imported Word docs into the free OpenOffice Writer and exported to HTML from there with passable results. There is also an OpenOffice to ePub export extension that will give you an EPUB ready to be polished in Sigil.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
If your text is in WORD,
why not just cut&paste it into the Sigil Book View ....
and then let Sigil create the ePub ....

Unless there are unforseen issues you won't even need to do any html coding yourself .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

Dave and Geoff, thanks for the good ideas. I'll try them.

(In the unlikely event you ever need help writing a novel, just ask.)
Old 07-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #12
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I could not write a novel if my life depended on it, due to a lack of imagination.
As you have already heard, Word may be nice for writing, but it has some serious difficulties in producing clean HTML. The are various HTML repair tools like HTML Tidy for instance, but I have also imported Word docs into the free OpenOffice Writer and exported to HTML from there with passable results. There is also an OpenOffice to ePub export extension that will give you an EPUB ready to be polished in Sigil.
Sigil uses HTML Tidy as an embedded component ....
Old 07-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #13
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Sigil uses HTML Tidy as an embedded component ....
Yes, I know, and I already mentioned that in an earlier post in this thread. BUT, you can not see what Tidy is doing when it operates inside of Sigil. Since the thread originator is getting nothing when importing HTML into Sigil, it would probably be more beneficial to run Tidy separately to actually see what Tidy is having problems with. Also, the fact that the imported document is cleaned up during import into Sigil is the reason that Valloric has said in other threads that it is a bad idea to cut & paste into Sigil, since that bypasses the import error checking.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Yes, I know, and I already mentioned that in an earlier post in this thread. BUT, you can not see what Tidy is doing when it operates inside of Sigil. Since the thread originator is getting nothing when importing HTML into Sigil, it would probably be more beneficial to run Tidy separately to actually see what Tidy is having problems with. Also, the fact that the imported document is cleaned up during import into Sigil is the reason that Valloric has said in other threads that it is a bad idea to cut & paste into Sigil, since that bypasses the import error checking.

[Okay without checking other threads]
Surely what Valloric is talking about is the import of html coded work into Sigil -

I'm suggesting the import of plain text .... which allows Sigil to "do its own thing" ....
Old 07-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #15
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I'm suggesting the import of plain text .... which allows Sigil to "do its own thing" ....
Masochistic, but at least very little possibility for error with plain text, except for possible character encoding issues. It sure would be a PITA to loose all the formating information and have to start over from ground zero format wise though. I would hold that off until the last resort.

Tags
manual, sigil, wysiwyg