Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
scub
scub began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
v0.6.34 Calibre keeps prompting Windows Defender

I had an unusual issue last night after installing Calibre 0.6.34, Windows kept asking me to allow windows defender to send calibre.exe and calibre-parallel.exe to microsoft for analysis. I hit yes, figuring that M$ had not gotten signatures for it yet or something.

Other strange things were amiss and I ended up having to restore my PC from an image from Saturday night. It was crashing BSOD with BAD_POOL_HEADER errors. I'm just wondering if WD is choking on calibre's background process. I noticed there is not taskbar icon any more - is this normal?

BAD_POOL_HEADER is nebulous and rather elusive but I'm suspecting the Sony reader driver possibly compounded with calibre's interaction and window's defender (and 64-bit wow layer). I'm going to stick with the SD writer to get stuff to my Sony for now. If any of this makes any sense, let me know.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate and I have a Sony PRS-600.

Other than that, my system has been very reliable.
scub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
I can't really help with anything, but just want to mention that I am using the latest version of Calibre and Windows Defender without any issues - however under Windows XP SP3.

Maybe that'll help you pinpoint the problem, hopefully it's not a virus issue :|

EDIT : Okay, scratch that. What I thought was Windows Defender is actually Windows Security Essentials (well, guess Defender is a part of it) and it DID warn me about the executables, however, it only did so when I clicked on its system tray icon to do a scan... But the scan didn't report any problems tho.

Last edited by Squirsier; 01-18-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Disable Windows Security Essentials, and then re-install 06.34. Then open up calibre to make sure the problem is gone, and then close the application and reboot the computer. Then you can re-enable Windows Security Essentials. Same thing happened to me last week.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
scub
scub began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
Disable Windows Security Essentials, and then re-install 06.34. Then open up calibre to make sure the problem is gone, and then close the application and reboot the computer. Then you can re-enable Windows Security Essentials. Same thing happened to me last week.
The same thing happened to you last week, meaning your PC crashed or WSE kept prompting you..?
scub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by scub View Post
The same thing happened to you last week, meaning your PC crashed or WSE kept prompting you..?
WSE kept on prompting me. No BSODs, though --- but I'm not running Windows 7 in a 64-bit environment. If disabling WSE doesn't help --- could your permissions have gotten screwed up? Or could it be a 64-bit issue?

Sorry I can't be more of a help!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 02:28 AM   #6
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
Or could it be a 64-bit issue?

Sorry I can't be more of a help!
It is not a 64-bit Issue. I run Win 7 64-bit and Calibre 0.6.34 without any problem
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bsod, calibre, sony 600, windows 7, windows defender