Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
vbussell
vbussell began at the beginning.

Device: Sony EReader
Adding empty books

I was very excited to learn that calibre supports adding empty books. I keep a separate excel file with all my books listed along with books that I would like to purchase/find. I was wondering if there was anyway to add several "empty" books (maybe from a command line) so that I can copy and paste a list and have calibre create the "empty" books based on that action. This would certainly be a step forward to eliminating keeping a separate record of books in excel.

For example:

copy
Storm Front
Fool Moon
Grave Peril
Summer Knight
Death Masks

result 4 empty books
Storm Front
Fool Moon
Grave Peril
Summer Knight
Death Masks

Thanks in advance!!

V
vbussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can use the calibredb command to interface with the calibre database from the command line
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
vbussell
vbussell began at the beginning.

Device: Sony EReader
So could you give me an example?
vbussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Maybe I'm a dummy but if you created a TEXT file named "Storm Front.txt" and imported it into Calibre woudn't that basically do the same?

Once you got the real ebook, import it and delete the TXT version using the Edit MetaData dialog.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That is what i USED to do. Now it is much easier to use the Calibre facility for creating dummy book entries (initally with title and author set to "unknown") and then edit the title/Author to the value you want. It also avoids having a dummy .txt file around.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert