Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-10-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Marginalia - How do you deal with it?

The thing that I just can't get around regarding superiority of real books to ebooks is marginalia - writing things out on the side, making comments at the end of a chapter and seeing this interspersed with the text.

It is true that the Amazon allows underlining and annotation. Underlining works well - it is apparent when you read the text and is fast and easy to do. Annotations... not so much. I've had all three Kindles but none of them do this quickly or easily (and w/the DX it is almost totally worthless - takes a lot for me to even touch the keyboard).

So what do you do? Or do you at all?

I've been thinking of getting a large moleskine and recording marginalia in it as I read.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I hate reading books that have been written in. I know a lot of people like it.

That being said, one thing I enjoyed about eReader on my Palm OS devices was being able to take notes and export them. It's really nice if you're in a book club. Just print out your notes and bring them along.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
For me it allows me to 'reread' a book very quickly. If I've underlined and annotated well enough I can look through an entire book in about 15 minutes/half hour and it'll completely refresh me to its content.

Just nonfiction though... I don't write in fiction, unless it's something rather heavy where I might underline... Dostoevsky or Hesse, for instance.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I always felt horrified at the mere thought of writing in my books!

When I was using the eBookwise exclusively, I'd use the "markup" (notes) ability to circle errors in the text so I could clean them up later. I miss that with my PRS505 and would consider it a bonus if I could find another Reader that gave it back - as long as I didn't lose clarity (which is why I didn't switch to the PRS700).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I've been thinking of getting a large moleskine and recording marginalia in it as I read.
That's how I do it

(from before ebook days, too - whilst I appreciate the value of marginalia in some old books, the thought of actually writing it myself makes me shudder And at school I hated finding other people's notes in text books. I refused to even underline bits in my own copies!)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
I hate reading books that have been written in....
I am the same, for regular books it's sacrilegious.

But if someone can implement the stickies that Acrobat Pro allows you to place on PDFs (which can be toggled On/Off), I can see the value in it. For textbooks, it'd be a must.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	highlighting.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	31975  
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:32 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I always felt horrified at the mere thought of writing in my books!

When I was using the eBookwise exclusively, I'd use the "markup" (notes) ability to circle errors in the text so I could clean them up later. I miss that with my PRS505 and would consider it a bonus if I could find another Reader that gave it back - as long as I didn't lose clarity (which is why I didn't switch to the PRS700).
That's what I use the highlighting feature for, exlusively. I've never been able to write in books, fiction or non-fiction.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:17 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It sounds as though you need an iRex DR1000S, Gideon. It allows you to "write" on your books, provided that they are in PDF format.

Personally, the idea of writing in books makes me cringe .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote