Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-18-2009, 03:44 AM   #1
Beppo
Beppo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Big problem

Yes, I know, I should search for the answer, but the problem is that I dont know where to begin.
This is my problem:

I have a Sony prs 505. I have a few books in pdf that I want to put into the reader. I used Calibre to do it, but when I read them in the reader there is a lot of problems: breaks in the middle of the line, the original page size doesnt fit into the screen and the begin of the capitel in in the bottom of the page, It lost the original format, etc.

I dont know what to do and how to do it. I hace a mac, so I need a program that can make the right format for my ebooks. Could anybody help me?

thanks
Beppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:35 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42333
and
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=184

Last edited by gwynevans; 03-18-2009 at 05:37 AM.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Not much you can do - this is what PDF is all about.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's really nothing you can do about it. PDF is not a "book" format - the file does not contain paragraphs, lines, or even words, but just instructions of the form "draw a letter 'A' at coordinates (x,y) on the page". It is virtually impossible to get a good "conversion" of a PDF to any other format; they will generally require extensive editing after conversion.

"Don't use PDF as a source format" is really the best advise; regard it purely as a "terminal" format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Try turning the orientation to "landscape."
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Beppo
Beppo began at the beginning.

Device: none
But the problem is that most of the books that I have are PDF... It must be a solution... Maybe if I extract the text from the pdf... I dont know...
Beppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
There's a lot of PDF tools around here, but most are Windows-only. I guess there is a way to get PDFread to work with mac:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...233#post176233
Might be worth a try.

If you have the full or standard version of Acrobat (not Acrobat reader), extracting the text into .rtf or .html and then converting will yield better results.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beppo View Post
But the problem is that most of the books that I have are PDF...
Well, yes, but that won't change the underlying reality that PDF is unsuitable for defices whose size differs from the chosen paper size of the PDF file.

Quote:
It must be a solution... Maybe if I extract the text from the pdf...
Sometimes, it is possible. Sometimes it isn't. Give it a try, maybe you'll get lucky.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
One of the simplest "conversions" for PDFs is to get a gmail account, and attach the PDF, and then open it as HTML.

This will get you an HTML file with the page breaks, and headers & footers as text, but it usually keeps paragraph breaks (depending on how the PDF was made) and can be converted to something else that doesn't have the weird line-break issues that PDFs do in the reader.

Nothing changes the fact that PDFs were designed as a final format, and any ability to convert them to other formats (or view on anything other than Acrobat or the Reader) is secondary, and not guaranteed to work.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #10
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I have spend literally days editing some PDF books. If I can get any other format, then I will, because it is certain to be better.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
One of the simplest "conversions" for PDFs is to get a gmail account, and attach the PDF, and then open it as HTML.
That's a fantastic idea. I need to try that.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #12
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I swear I'm not a blubbering idiot, but I can't figure out how to save the PDF as HTML from Google mail. Anyone willing to offer up the magic steps?
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #13
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I swear I'm not a blubbering idiot, but I can't figure out how to save the PDF as HTML from Google mail. Anyone willing to offer up the magic steps?
I think you compose an email to yourself; attach the pdf (attach file); then send it. When you open the email, you should be able to view the pdf as html instead (look at the bottom of the email).

HTH
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:45 AM   #14
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
I think you compose an email to yourself; attach the pdf (attach file); then send it. When you open the email, you should be able to view the pdf as html instead (look at the bottom of the email).

HTH
Thanks.

Unfortunately I don't get a simple HTML view. I get a view of the document in a Google view application, and none of the Save As options save the book as HTML that is readable.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:43 AM   #15
Juggle4Evr
Connoisseur
Juggle4Evr doesn't litterJuggle4Evr doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beppo View Post
I dont know what to do and how to do it. I hace a mac, so I need a program that can make the right format for my ebooks. Could anybody help me?
Hi Beppo,

I have the same problem with some PDFs when I zoom in on the PRS-505 to the "M" or "L" setting.
What I do is to cut off the margins (including the page number at the page bottom) around the pages so that the full display area is used for the text. This way I can read using the "S" setting (in landscape mode if neccessary) and without the need to zoom in, the formatting is not destroyed.

I also have a Mac and I use Skim (http://skim-app.sourceforge.net/) to cut off the margins. Works for non-DRM files only of course.
Juggle4Evr is offline   Reply With Quote