Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-14-2017, 06:48 PM   #1
deaded
deaded began at the beginning.

Device: iPad/kindle
Problem: Import/export library option gone

I recently updated to 3.9. I was going to back-up my library but realized I couldn't do it. I'm not sure what I did wrong. Normally I'd go to the Library icon at the top, click the arrow, and choose import/export. However, that option is gone now. Very odd. I noticed something too. If I quit Calibre and re-start it, then quickly click the "library" icon the option to import/export is there! But if I wait about 10 seconds before clicking it the icons at the top re-arrange themselves and then the only options I get when clicking "library" are "Show Books in Calibre Library," and "Switch/create library..."

I feel like I must have somehow clicked an option to put it in Kiosk mode or something; something that locks me out of the option to export.

I doubt it's a bug in 3.9 because I'm sure someone else would have seen it first. Therefore I must have done something wrong.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks for any insight!

---edit---
Oh, forgot to mention, I'm using Windows 7, 64bit, up-to-date on all the updates, Calibre 3.9 64bit

Last edited by deaded; 10-14-2017 at 06:52 PM.
deaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:55 PM   #2
deaded
deaded began at the beginning.

Device: iPad/kindle
Oh. I figured it out myself. Maybe it is a bit of a bug, or it's a 'feature'.

Apparently those options go away when the kindle reader is plugged in. I un-plugged it and now those options are back.

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-14-2017 at 07:45 PM.
deaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2017, 07:46 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's by design, when a device is attached a different toolbar is displayed, and some options of some tools are not available when a device is attached - such as import/export

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:59 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Nothing prevents you from adding options to the menu though.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:48 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Nothing prevents you from adding options to the menu though.
I never knew until now that the button named Library with the calibre icon one always gets in the toolbar when a device is connected, isn't the same 'thing' as the Choose Library button with the same calibre icon - i.e. they are not mutually exclusive, you can have both.

I suppose there's a reason they have the same icon

BR
Advert
Old 10-14-2017, 09:57 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OOPS. I forgot this was on the BUTTON and not the menu. You can tailor menus not buttons
Old 10-15-2017, 01:31 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
OOPS. I forgot this was on the BUTTON and not the menu. You can tailor menus not buttons
Really? How pray tell? I'd like to tailor the Preference 'buttons' to a nested menu, viz:

Code:

Interface
         Look and Feel
         Behaviour
         Add your own columns
Advanced
          Plug-ins
          Tweaks
The icon matrix is reminiscent of early Windows Program Manager panels

BR
Old 10-15-2017, 04:39 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

By tailor I meant add your own entries to the toolbars

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
By tailor I meant add your own entries to the toolbars
I wondered if I might have to sit like tailor... or spycatcher style