Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 05:03 PM   #1
sherree_r
sherree_r began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Corrupt Database File opening Ver 3.9

I recently installed Calibre 3.9 (64-bit version) and tried to open it for the first time today. I got a database corruption error and a question about whether to rebuild. I chose "yes" and then got the following error:

Restoring database failed...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\db\restore.py", line 123, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\db\restore.py", line 239, in create_cc_metadata
File "site-packages\calibre\db\restore.py", line 29, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 377, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 1121, in fget
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 834, in conn
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 266, in __init__
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file

Nothing has changed about my computer and I've been using Calibre for at least eight years. I've tried everything I can think of to fix the problem. I've even tried moving all my books to another drive, uninstalling Calibre and trying to re-install and it won't allow it. Any suggestions? I'm fairly computer literate, but I'm at a total loss.

Last edited by sherree_r; 10-12-2017 at 05:06 PM.
sherree_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherree_r View Post
I recently installed Calibre 3.9 (64-bit version) and tried to open it for the first time today. I got a database corruption error and a question about whether to rebuild. I chose "yes" and then got the following error:

Restoring database failed...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\db\restore.py", line 123, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\db\restore.py", line 239, in create_cc_metadata
File "site-packages\calibre\db\restore.py", line 29, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 377, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 1121, in fget
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 834, in conn
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 266, in __init__
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file

Nothing has changed about my computer and I've been using Calibre for at least eight years. I've tried everything I can think of to fix the problem. I've even tried moving all my books to another drive, uninstalling Calibre and trying to re-install and it won't allow it. Any suggestions? I'm fairly computer literate, but I'm at a total loss.
@sherree_r - See ==>> FAQ - calibre is not starting on Windows?

And the next FAQ item - calibre freezes/crashes occasionally?

Added: To get a fresh install of calibre (as opposed to a Repair) you must first uninstall it. When you uninstall calibre your libraries and settings are retained. Might be worth while getting a fresh download too - just in case.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-12-2017 at 05:39 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2017, 12:08 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Something on your computer is preventing calibre from opening the database file. The most likely culprit is an antivirus program.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #4
sherree_r
sherree_r began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Safe List Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Something on your computer is preventing calibre from opening the database file. The most likely culprit is an antivirus program.
Which files would I need to add to my antivirus safe list?
sherree_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherree_r View Post
Which files would I need to add to my antivirus safe list?
Add Calibre2 (the folder)
Add <library folder> metadata.db, metadata_db_prefs_backup
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #6
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Backup software can often temporarily lock your library metadata.db while it is reading it to back up. That happens a few times a week to me due to my NAS WDCloud automatic backup software called WDSmart that is set to run a back up at the top of each hour. I just ignore the error and try again. Ignore and X out of any Calibre message that offers to create a new library due to the corruption. X out; do not answer by clicking any pushbutton or you may regret it "fixing" a non-problem. That is a dangerous dialog if you truly have no corruption.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrupt database