Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-26-2017, 12:07 PM   #1
yogi62
yogi62 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Calibre - really slow to initialize??

I'm using Calibre 3.7 on a windows 7 pro machine 64 bit version and every time Calibre starts it takes at least 7 mins to open. The library is approx 23,000 books.

I also run it on another computer (same library/system) and it opens in approx 90 secs.

On the first machine I can hear the hard drive being continually read during Calibre start up so I'm wondering is Calibre rebuilding some data each time it initializes? which is causing the long delay in opening?

The library is stored on a second internal drive not the primary drive. Shouldn't Calibre remember the location/database details once created?

I have Kaspersky security on my system but I have tried starting Calibre both with and without Kaspersky running so I know it isn't the antivirus software affecting it.

Thoughts anyone?
yogi62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:12 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre does remember. The configuration folder is where.
I suspect issues with that folders permissions.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
yogi62:

Your slower machine might have much less RAM than the faster machine, causing its page-file to be heavily used to initially read your metadata.db. Try physically compressing the Calibre metadata.db via Library Maintenance > Check Library. If that helps, then defragmenting file metadata.db might also be worthwhile.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:11 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@yogi62 - try starting calibre with no plugins see calibre command

Do you have a device attached - if so try un-attaching it.

Do you have any columns built from other columns that involve interrogating the database or file system serially. I recall a v.slow startup issue with displaying the virtual library names in the book list - but why one machine and not the other

How do you synchronise the copies of the library on two machines?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:14 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not rebuild anything on startup. Most likely you just have a bunch of old microsoft updates on your machine. Run the disk cleanup tool (with administrator permissions) and remove them.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2017, 02:42 AM   #6
yogi62

Thanks all for your respones. Update as follows:

kovidgoyal:
I regularly back up my whole primary drive to external drives and clean down the primary drive

Today the initialization took 4min 21 secs. Shutting down and restarting Calibre took 10 secs on two subsequent re-starts.

Betteread:
Two libraries no synchronization
No plugins
Only default columns

Dalton ST
Slower machine loads faster
Faster machine has 12GB pagefile with 32Gb Ram and Microsoft machine base score of 7.9

theducks:
Full permission to ALL users

Last edited by yogi62; 09-29-2017 at 02:43 AM. Reason: typo's
Old 09-29-2017, 10:04 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi62 View Post

Today the initialization took 4min 21 secs. Shutting down and restarting Calibre took 10 secs on two subsequent re-starts.
Something is still wrong. 4min (even if it is just a first start)
Something appears to be caching the program during that first start or you A/V is checking the program, then whitelisting that runtime version.

I run on a slowly , core 2 duo, (16G RAM) and Calibre still starts up in well under a minute.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:23 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@yogi62 - couple of ideas

Have you tried safe mode ?

Have you tried the 32bit version - you can install it alongside the existing 64 bit version, it will use same settings and libraries.

Quote:
On the first machine I can hear the hard drive being continually read during Calibre start up so I'm wondering is Calibre rebuilding some data each time it initializes? which is causing the long delay in opening?
Makes me wonder if the hard disk is failing

Quote:
The library is stored on a second internal drive not the primary drive. Shouldn't Calibre remember the location/database details once created?
Yes is should, and yes it does. If it's not then something is wrong.

Is the library folder a symbolically linked or junction folder, or synchronised to a cloud service, shared, encrypted, or otherwise encumbered? Similarly for the drive.

Calibre starts in the last library used, so try creating an empty library on the same drive at the root of that drive and then start/stop calibre - should be quick, if not then

Quote:
I have Kaspersky security on my system but I have tried starting Calibre both with and without Kaspersky running so I know it isn't the antivirus software affecting it.
Last time I wanted to 'run without' Kaspersky on a visitor's machine (couple of years ago) I had to completely uninstall it - via a separately downloaded, well hidden, utility from K'y. I've had similar problems with other AVs.

BR
Old 09-30-2017, 10:03 AM   #9
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@yogi62 - couple of ideas...
Makes me wonder if the hard disk is failing
BR
My thought as well.

It has now been quiite a while ago, but I had this happen to me back in, I believe, the Calibre 1.x days. Over a period of a month or so, calibre began to take a rather long time to launch. I didn't notice any slow down in other apps, but there were likely some. My HD failed eventually, and when replaced calibre's startup was significantly faster.

Failing HDs return read and write errors. Operating systems simply retry the disk operations multiple times before "throwing in the towel" and notifying the user. When launching an app package like calibre that is comprised of a large number of small files there will be a lot of disk reads and possibly some writes. If the OS is constantly having to retry the disk operations it can add up to a substantial increase in load time.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #10
BaronKrause
BaronKrause began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Sounds like a slowly failing HD.

Also even though you disabled Kaspersky, it still might be Kaspersky. Try adding a directory exception to your calibre library, or uninstalling Kaspersky completely as a temporary test (just reinstall it right after). I've seen many AVs that cause issues with software that don't resolve themselves from disabling it, only removal.

Last edited by BaronKrause; 10-01-2017 at 03:54 PM.
BaronKrause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:11 AM   #11
yogi62

Firstly thank you to all of you who have replied and tried to assist.

The issue is definitely not a failing hard drive. The library is stored on a partitioned separate internal hard drive from the operating system and I have no issues in accessing any other programs/data on that partition. However to be sure I re-installed the library on a third internal drive with similar startup times.

Once Calibre has loaded and I close it, I can re-open it in a matter of seconds without any sounds of the drive 'seeking' information. However if I reboot the computer then the drive can clearly be heard as it seeks something?

Searching for files - rebuilding a cache? who knows.

As can clearly be seen I am no expert in how Calibre works so wondered if there is a cache somewhere that is being deleted on shutting down the computer and which needs to be rebuilt on boot up?

Or if there is a cache has it been created in a separate location and is affected by the re-boot?

As it stand it seems I must simply wait for Calibre to load and be patient.

Thanks to all
Old 10-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Are you sure you shut down calibre and that its not just hidden in the system tray?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:43 PM   #13
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately, you have not yet clearly differentiated your performance data between "Calibre the Program" and "Calibre's Last-Used Library".

Run Calibre. Create a new, fresh, empty Library, and switch to it. It is now your "last-used Library" that Calibre the Program will automatically load upon startup. Exit from Calibre immediately. Reboot your PC. Run Calibre. What happens when Calibre the Program loads your empty Calibre Library? How does its performance differ from that you have stated in your previous posts? If the performance has not drastically improved, then your problem is not with your Calibre Library folder, which is totally new and empty, and therefore is as small as it gets. If the performance is identically awful, then it is either hardware or related to how your Calibre program has been installed, including the temporary file folder that you have told Windows to use in general, or for Calibre to use within Windows. Check your environment variables for Windows for Temp, Tmp, and also any specific to Calibre. Also clean your Drive C: using "Disk Cleanup" within Windows, including all System Files (including Windows Update). Then defragment/optimize C:. Reboot, run Calibre (still with the "empty" Library as the "last-used library" to keep that variable constant for this test), and compare its new performance to the prior performance. What, if anything, has changed?

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:57 PM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Following up on Kovid's post (#5) take a look at this long thread. The link is to the post where discussion of a solution starts. That solution is to run Windows Disk Cleaner as admin, clean Windows Updates, then reboot. The reboot can take a long time.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:15 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
As it stand it seems I must simply wait for Calibre to load and be patient.
@yogi62 - I urge you to follow the advice in post #14, which I also suggested in post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Calibre starts in the last library used, so try creating an empty library on the same drive at the root of that drive and then start/stop calibre - should be quick, if not then
DaltonST has done some pre-emptive chin scratching

And, as he suggests you can also try using dedicated locations for the calibre configuration, temporary and cache data via the requisite environment variables

BR