Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Something Sigil Can't Do?!?

A friend asked me to clean up his 26 MEGABYTE epub!!! I said alright figuring it was just a bunch of enormous images that could be squished down to a reasonable size and some nasty bloat like:

<div class="paragraph"><p class="p"><span><font class="normal">Blah Blah <span class="italic">BLAH</span><span class="normaltext">!</span> And furthermore <span class="boldfont">Blahdy Blah</span><span class="normaltext">...</span></font></span></p></div>

I could easily make into:
<p>Blah Blah <em>BLAH</em>! And furthermore <strong>Blahdy Blah...</strong></p>

But nooooo......what do I find......

307 .png images of each page of a book!!!

I would certainly HOPE that a "reputable" company would not create such a mess....or maybe it was someones miserable attempt at a fixed layout?? In any case, I told him to get his money back and buy a different copy from a different bookseller...maybe one that was a reasonable <1Mb file.

Soooo.....can we get Sigil to add a button/function to OCR all the selected images and put them in proper html/epub-ese??? Pretty Please???
[/sarcasm]
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Regretfully honesty, integrity, knowledge, and workmanship has slipped by the way in our new progressive world.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
When a client has obsessed on getting an absolute fascimile of the printed layout, tested the epub on every possible device and complained about every minor difference...I'm sorely tempted to do just that.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
What is the problem with people not wanting to do pdfs in these situations? Sized for the smaller windows, they will have the exact layout. They sure are a heck of a lot less work...a printer driver will do anything that can be printed on paper.

When making a publication for tablets, why bother with epubs? So much work for so little gain. Must be the fad of the year, I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I love epubs in my Sony Reader whose battery lasts a week or two between charges and is scarcely larger than a trade paperback and holds 300 books. For the others, as I said, why bother?

In the above case, a text pdf would not have been gigantic either, but the disreputable so and so's would have just done what they did to make a giant epub, make an image only pdf.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
In any case, I told him to get his money back and buy a different copy from a different bookseller...maybe one that was a reasonable <1Mb file.
You're sure this was a stock retail epub?

Sounds more like someone took the raw SVG "pages" of a DeDRMed Topaz ebook and tried to make a "quick & dirty" ePub out of it (converting SVG to PNG), if you ask me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You're sure this was a stock retail epub?

Sounds more like someone took the raw SVG "pages" of a DeDRMed Topaz ebook and tried to make a "quick & dirty" ePub out of it (converting SVG to PNG), if you ask me.
No, I'm not "sure". I just opened it in sigil, saw the single XHTML page with links to each of the images and closed it. I didn't waste any time trying to figure out where it came from. I just started ranting about all the evils of substandard/shoddy workmanship and how he shouldn't "buy from that company" again! I told him to return it and buy from a different company.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:03 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Convert all the PNGs to JPGs and you'll probably have a smaller epub
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Nah, jpeg will be larger. Palleted png will be really really light on file size (if it's just greyscale, 8 colour palette is good enough), and gif a few bytes smaller.

But none of those matter as they are always going to be decompressed for reading, and as such eat up a whole load of memory and be generally crap for performance (most 'good' readers cache a few past pages and the next page or two.). Problem readers, webkit-based reader apps/readers(since they don't really paginate) and some ADE bugs however will mean that the images just sit around in memory all the time, and depending on the reader can starve the rest of the OS/framework leading to sudden reboots or hangs. Fun times. Also really bad for load time.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
What is the problem with people not wanting to do pdfs in these situations? Sized for the smaller windows, they will have the exact layout. They sure are a heck of a lot less work...a printer driver will do anything that can be printed on paper.

When making a publication for tablets, why bother with epubs? So much work for so little gain. Must be the fad of the year, I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I love epubs in my Sony Reader whose battery lasts a week or two between charges and is scarcely larger than a trade paperback and holds 300 books. For the others, as I said, why bother?

In the above case, a text pdf would not have been gigantic either, but the disreputable so and so's would have just done what they did to make a giant epub, make an image only pdf.
Probably because PDF's cannot be sold as "ebooks" through any of the major retailers, would be my guess.

I don't know of any reputable conversion house that would have done this, but I do know of several lower-tier scanning houses that would output something like this from Abbyy as an "ePUB" or "eBook" for a client. I could (and won't) name at least two from which I've seen/received/fixed similar work.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote