Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Nook ePubs on Kobo lose ability to change line spacing

I'm trying to convert Nook ePubs to ePubs for use on a Kobo Glo. I'm doing an ePub-to-ePub conversion before transferring the ebooks to the Kobo; I have Calibre 0.9.9.

The Kobo Glo allows me to use on-screen sliders to increase or decrease:

* Font Size
* Line Spacing
* Margins

Font Size and Margins work for my converted books, but Line Spacing stays fixed at some multiple of the font size (which seems to vary from book to book: I've got ones that give a fairly normal 2-point leading when using 10-point type, but also ones that give no leading -- 0-point -- at the same type size).

Obviously, something that should be stripped out of the source Nook ePubs isn't getting removed. I've already selected removing Fonts, Margins, and Padding. Is there something else I should strip out, or something I should add to the custom CSS?

Many thanks!

Rob
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
To fix this on older files converted from lit I convert the file to mobi and back again to epub.

Keeps most of the formatting/graphics but embedded fonts are not kept.

The problem with some files is AFAIK non standard font sizes, things like
font-size:0.77714. This gets changed to small in the mobi file and then changed to 0.75 in the epub converted to mobi.

You can change these manually by using tweak epub and editing stylesheet.css but I had a lot of old lit files so I went with the mobi thing.

You can set font-size:1em in the CSS box but doesn't change them all and all the font sizes it changes to 1 em. For me the mobi result is far better.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Helen, but I don't have a problem with font sizes. I have a problem with line spacing.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Thanks, Helen, but I don't have a problem with font sizes. I have a problem with line spacing.
The basic concept of converting to Mobi then back to ePub may work for line size too. Experiment with a book and let us know the results.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #5
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Use tweak book in calibre open the stylesheet.css file with a text editor. Look for line-height.
It should look like this:
line-height: 1.2;
not like this:
line-height: 1.2em;
if you have the "em" then remove it. I only use line-height in the body style, if the paragraph styles have a line-height then it may override the reader settings.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That is the problem I was having. When the font size was changed, the line size changed with it.

It may seem odd that changing the font size to a standard size fixes the line spacing problem but it does. Try it and see. All of the books worked fine in the calibre viewer and on my Sony, but not on the Kobo.

Helen

PS Most of the problem books had the 1.2 line height already

Last edited by speakingtohe; 12-12-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Remove the line-height from the styles. Remember that the Kobo devices respect the settings in the books and do not over-ride them. The line-height works the same as the margins and font sizes.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
RobertJSawyer
Guru

Helen, my apologies. You were absolutely right. Converting from the original Nook ePub to Mobi to generic ePub did the trick.

gbm, I would have thought filtering out line-height would do the trick, too -- but it didn't. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

You guys rock.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Helen, my apologies. You were absolutely right. Converting from the original Nook ePub to Mobi to generic ePub did the trick.

gbm, I would have thought filtering out line-height would do the trick, too -- but it didn't. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

You guys rock.
No apologies necessary. It seemed kind of odd to me too when I finally figured it out, but I had many, many files like this so I was just happy when it worked and didn't destroy the formatting

Helen