Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #1
dirgeon
dirgeon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Question Newbie guide to actual development?

Hi,

I've been trying to find info on how to actually make an update*.bin file + KUAL, with no luck. Been searching the forums and wiki but either I'm using the wrong keywords, or I missed it.

I've written a couple hacks that run just fine when copied over and manually editing /etc/lipc-daemon-events.conf. I'd like to share them the proper way, but am stumped.

Would appreciate any pointers. Thanks!
dirgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirgeon View Post
Hi,

I've been trying to find info on how to actually make an update*.bin file + KUAL, with no luck. Been searching the forums and wiki but either I'm using the wrong keywords, or I missed it.

I've written a couple hacks that run just fine when copied over and manually editing /etc/lipc-daemon-events.conf. I'd like to share them the proper way, but am stumped.

Would appreciate any pointers. Thanks!
Your searching is probably correct.

The update*.bin file packages are normally used in two cases:
  • Where the installation has to change files outside of the USB storage area (yours does) ;
  • Where the installation procedure is too complex (for the common user).

You don't find much of what your looking for because KUAL uses "Button Code" that is simply copied into USB storage.
(Like copying, I.E: "side-loading", a book - nearly every user can do that.)

But your project seems to meet [1] for certain (changing a system configuration file).

So your on the correct track with this question.
But good design (tm) for the common user can be tricky.

- - - -

We need a bit of clarification before more specifics can be given:

Do you need a modified KUAL or can the standard KUAL package be used?

I will assume the above answer is "standard KUAL" package - - - -

So in this case, you are just adding a set of KUAL buttons not a specialized version of KUAL.

Next question -

Are the changes to the configuration file a "one time" thing?
I.E: When your button set is installed.
(and the changes un-done when your button set is removed?)

OR

Are the changes to the configuration file an "interactive" thing?
I.E: You have button actions that make changes at the touch of one of the buttons.

(yup - that's one question)

- - - -

In either (or both) cases - the implementation of an "end user safe" KUAL extension can become a bit tricky.

But it has been done before (although not written up, because it is a rare case).
And we (I am volunteering the other developers here ) can give you specific guidance.

Last edited by knc1; 08-21-2014 at 09:15 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
dirgeon

Thanks so much for the reply!

1. I was thinking KUAL could be used to adjust/specify the screen coordinates of the hack's output, but from your description, it doesn't seem feasible (at least easily). I'm using (hopefully) sane defaults, so it could be skipped for now. Or maybe some sort of conf file instead..?

2. The configuration file will only change during install/uninstall.

Hmmm... I guess I'd be happy enough with just an update*.bin for now. I actually just found NiLuJe's KindleTool thread so I'll practice that first, and work my way up.

Thanks again!
Old 08-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Do you have your code pushed to a public repository,
where others could help you?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
dirgeon

Sorry for the late reply. I'll put them up on github as soon as I get them somewhat running. Thanks!
Advert