Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-18-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
Brad
Zealot
Brad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3 / EB1150 /iPhone
Losing place in the book.

I know this was talked about months ago, but I got tired of waiting for firmware updates that might fix the problem that I set my Cybook aside for awhile.

My Cybook does not seem to remember what page I was on when I left off reading so it's like starting over every time I resume.

I have looked through the treads and can't seem to find the ones that dealt with this problem. If someone can direct me to the threads I would appreciate it.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The problem is generally caused by a corrupt file system. Do a "chkdsk". Never, EVER, unplug the USB cable without using the "Safely Remove Hardware" tool. Have you been doing so?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
Brad
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The problem is generally caused by a corrupt file system. Do a "chkdsk". Never, EVER, unplug the USB cable without using the "Safely Remove Hardware" tool. Have you been doing so?
I don't think so. The problem cropped up very shortly after purchase which has been some time ago so my memory is fuzzy.

>>chkdsk

I use a Mac to add content, do I chkdsk form the Mac or does the Cybook have this function in the OS?
Old 09-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Use whatever tool you'd use on a Mac to check the integrity of a disk's file system. I'm afraid I don't know enough about Macs to know what that might be.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
If using Mac OS X, which is a BSD derivative, I guess there is a fschk command line utility, don't know if there is a GUI equivalent of it though
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Alternatively, reflash the Gen3 with the "796fmt" version of the firmware reflasher. This will recreate the internal disk partion completely, and will almost certainly fix the problem. Once it is fixed, make sure that you always dismount the disk correctly before unplugging the cable.

The download URL for the full firmware reflasher is here.

Note that this will completely "wipe" the internal memory of the Gen3, so make sure that you have a backup copy of your books, fonts, etc, before using it.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
If using Mac OS X, which is a BSD derivative, I guess there is a fschk command line utility, don't know if there is a GUI equivalent of it though
I think Disk Utility has something to check it. Not sure, I'm not on my Mac right now.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:10 AM   #8
Brad
Zealot

Thanks very much! I ran the Mac GUI disk repair utility and a quick test seems to have done the trick.

Again, thank you very much.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Glad to hear that it's worked. Remember to dismount the device before unplugging the cable from now on .