Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
sandeepp
sandeepp began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Ezreader
Question PDF support & readability on the Astak

I am leaning towards buying an Astak due to the support for various formats. I will use my e-reader 80% of the time to read pdf’s. How is the Astak at reading pdf’s? Any opinions would be really helpful. Now that they have come up with their own book store, wireless access to that would be nice, not a deal breaker though. Dictionary if supported would rock.
sandeepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
My experience with pdf books on the Astak PP, has been OK, mostly. I have read 2 or 3 major books if pdf format. These are reflow-able and aren't too bad, except you are stuck with the horrible Times Roman font that most seem to use, and sometimes you get half pages when page boundaries don't match the size of the PP screen at the current font size.

However, it fails dismally to read pdf files that I have, that have been made up of A4 scanned magazines. It just chooses to not display the large images, so the result, is a blank book
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
EPUB better; but PDF is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepp View Post
I am leaning towards buying an Astak due to the support for various formats. I will use my e-reader 80% of the time to read pdf’s. How is the Astak at reading pdf’s? Any opinions would be really helpful. Now that they have come up with their own book store, wireless access to that would be nice, not a deal breaker though. Dictionary if supported would rock.
Dear Sandeepp:

I work for Astak and I may be a bit biased. Yes, we DO support 20 formats!!

However, the Pocket PRO and EZ Reader BOTH work well on PDF. You have to remember that a PDF is really a photograph. Yes, Adobe Digital Editions does "reflow" and that helps... but some magazines in PDF will not be great.
Our eBook Store sells titles in both PDF and EPUB when available. Most here much prefer EPUB to PDF. BUT, I went and asked our eBook Intern as she downloads (free) about ten books a weekto read. She downlaods some in EPUB and some in PDF. She says she has had zero problem reading in PDF when from our eBook Store.

The key thing, Sandeepp, is that it is NOT Astak that determines how well a PDF reads. It is Adobe Digital Editions. IF a PDF has any problem on an Astak device; it should have the same problem on all Adobe Digital Edition devices. I think you will find the Astak device does extremely well with PDF as the screen is Grade "A" and it has 8 level gray scale, and with the Epson Controller and 400MHz processor... it is very FAST!

Our eBook Store will soon support wireless and iPads and even cell phones. Astak will have wireless devices soon enough; but MOST on here are not huge fans of wireless. One other thing to consider is that the Pocket PRO 5 inch is only 5.8 ounces and comes in six colors. PLUS... the battery is User-Replaceable rechargeable. AND... the SD card slot goes to 16GB... enough for 8,000 novels and your MP3 music!!

You would love the Astak. Go to: www.theEZreader.com/html and look for the FAQ sheet under "support". That will show you just how nice the Pocket PRO really is.

Thank you for posting!!

Last edited by Robertb; 04-12-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you want a preview of how "reflow" will work on your PDFs, download Sony Reader Library for Windows or Mac. This uses a variant of the same mobile Adobe Digital Editions software as the EZ Readers. For a PDF, the "S" font size is the full page view and the other font sizes are reflowed versions of the document. Reflow is essentially extracting the text (and images) out of the PDF and displaying them with different font sizes. This will work if the text and images are placed in the PDF in a "simple" manner. As Robertb says, almost all EInk Reading devices do PDF reflow using the same (mobile ADE) software.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:13 AM   #5
sandeepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Sandeepp:

I work for Astak and I may be a bit biased. Yes, we DO support 20 formats!!

However, the Pocket PRO and EZ Reader BOTH work well on PDF. You have to remember that a PDF is really a photograph. Yes, Adobe Digital Editions does "reflow" and that helps... but some magazines in PDF will not be great.
Our eBook Store sells titles in both PDF and EPUB when available. Most here much prefer EPUB to PDF. BUT, I went and asked our eBook Intern as she downloads (free) about ten books a weekto read. She downlaods some in EPUB and some in PDF. She says she has had zero problem reading in PDF when from our eBook Store.

The key thing, Sandeepp, is that it is NOT Astak that determines how well a PDF reads. It is Adobe Digital Editions. IF a PDF has any problem on an Astak device; it should have the same problem on all Adobe Digital Edition devices. I think you will find the Astak device does extremely well with PDF as the screen is Grade "A" and it has 8 level gray scale, and with the Epson Controller and 400MHz processor... it is very FAST!

Our eBook Store will soon support wireless and iPads and even cell phones. Astak will have wireless devices soon enough; but MOST on here are not huge fans of wireless. One other thing to consider is that the Pocket PRO 5 inch is only 5.8 ounces and comes in six colors. PLUS... the battery is User-Replaceable rechargeable. AND... the SD card slot goes to 16GB... enough for 8,000 novels and your MP3 music!!

You would love the Astak. Go to: www.theEZreader.com/html and look for the FAQ sheet under "support". That will show you just how nice the Pocket PRO really is.

Thank you for posting!!
Thanks for the quick reply Rob. I am pretty close to getting an Astak, but I think I will camp for you guys to release the 16 grey levels reader [EZ Reader Plus?]. I hope they will be available in more than one form factor [5inch,7inch].
Hopefully, most book companies should revert to epub in the future, PDF is really showing it's age here, at least when it comes to books in the electronic format.

Also, on http://www.myezread.com, an introduction section for newbies to the ebooks formats would be really helpful. Google books integration there is awesome!

Now only if EZReader Plus goes on sale...
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
sandeepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If you want a preview of how "reflow" will work on your PDFs, download Sony Reader Library for Windows or Mac. This uses a variant of the same mobile Adobe Digital Editions software as the EZ Readers. For a PDF, the "S" font size is the full page view and the other font sizes are reflowed versions of the document. Reflow is essentially extracting the text (and images) out of the PDF and displaying them with different font sizes. This will work if the text and images are placed in the PDF in a "simple" manner. As Robertb says, almost all EInk Reading devices do PDF reflow using the same (mobile ADE) software.
Yep...tried that...PDF sucks. The entire PDF was like displayed as broken links/texts. Have you tried Calibre at http://calibre-ebook.com/
Really slick software, allows you to convert from pdf to epub, which you can immediately preview in Adobe digital editions.

Tags
astak, ereader, pdf, reader