Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-20-2010, 05:57 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm200 View Post
Never is a long time - but I would say we will never get fonts that support math operations like this. Latex does a great job at it - and the people that need to create formulas probably already know it. Maybe what we need is a good Latex to HTML converter, which plugs the formulas in as SVG.

Robert
I think personally that "fonts" are the wrong approach for complex equations. They are essentially "graphical" objects, and need to be "drawn". SVG seems like by far the best approach.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #17
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think personally that "fonts" are the wrong approach for complex equations. They are essentially "graphical" objects, and need to be "drawn". SVG seems like by far the best approach.
I don't really see what you're trying to say. An SVG is still going to need a font to display the individual symbols making up the equations. (Or else recreate the symbols with a vector graphic commands, which is more or less the same thing, resource wise.) The SVG is going to allow you easily to specify the font to use and the exact location of the character, so the formatting is right. We still need the fonts.

Fonts are one issue, laying out the symbols properly is another.

I really don't think JavaScript is the right direction to go in. Let's not introduce a bunch of security holes into eBook readers if we don't have to. Native MathML or LaTeX support would be much preferable. In the meantime, SVG support is a nice compromise.

It's not 100% clear from the website, but I would expect the STIX fonts to be freely distributable. I assume they'll clarify such matters when the fonts are actually released.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2010, 06:46 AM   #18
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Okay, now for the nitty gritty...
I see instructions for embedding fonts here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61587
But how would I adapt this for the beta STIX fonts? I want to double confirm that previous attempts to use MathML weren't being stuffed up due to a lack of fonts..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #19
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
One can't display math reasonably w/o having fonts for the special characters involved --- using vector objects is markedly inefficient (fonts and their handling are highly optimized) and requires significantly more space.

Placing math fonts into an svg would be reasonable, so long as all svgs in a document would be able to access fonts from a central repository.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote