Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #16
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I switched to the new firmware on both my Basic and my Pocket Pro. They seem equivalent on both. The new font sizes are a big improvement for ePubs.

Hyperlinks work in PDFs (no "go back" key though) but not in ePubs, search does work. Two bugs that were fixed in the BeBook firmware but are still present here are that images get zoomed to larger than the page in ePubs and the ePub page number gets bigger with the zoom size. Overall, this is an improvement.
Is it just me or do the page numbers in ePub seem less intrusive somehow? I think they may be smaller relative to the text even though they're still increasing with the text size.

Some hyperlinks are working in ePub. I'm using Stranger Things Happen by Kelly Link from the Mobile Read library as a test book. I think I downloaded it in mobi and converted to ePub with Calibre. There are a set of links near the beginning to all the stories. They weren't working before the update, but they are now. They're not footnotes or endnotes though.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #17
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
The page numbers are small and have be as of the EZReader firmware that came out on the first of Sept.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #18
jwsheets
Connoisseur
jwsheets began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
I just tested the hyperlink ability in an epub and it worked fine.
I did not find any way to go back.
My PDFs are working, Epubs are not working.
jwsheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #19
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMonkey View Post
Is it just me or do the page numbers in ePub seem less intrusive somehow? I think they may be smaller relative to the text even though they're still increasing with the text size.
Either they are smaller, or the very large font sizes available before made the problem more apparent. I agree that they are less intrusive than before. The latest BeBook firmware keeps the page number (very) small for all font sizes.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #20
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have had a chance to open and read some out of a perfessionally created PDF ebook from Sam's and it is looking great. The TOC looks great and the font size is perfect for me on the 4th level. I am beginning to think that I may not need a larger screen than my 6".
I still am not happy with the epub ebook that I purchased the font size is ok but not the best. But I have to say that the epubs that I converted from mobi to epub using calibre is much better and the links are working for me in both PDF and epubs.

Chuck

Last edited by cvkemp; 09-10-2009 at 11:21 AM. Reason: correct a mistake
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #21
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMonkey View Post

Some hyperlinks are working in ePub. I'm using Stranger Things Happen by Kelly Link from the Mobile Read library as a test book. I think I downloaded it in mobi and converted to ePub with Calibre. There are a set of links near the beginning to all the stories. They weren't working before the update, but they are now. They're not footnotes or endnotes though.
May I make a suggestion concerning footnotes? Jinke seems to be responding quickly, but it may be that they need a specific example to understand the problem. If someone has a public domain file that should have footnotes, perhaps you could send them a file and specifically refer to the location in the file that has the problems.

When I left them a note on their technical support board I noticed that they responded quickly. The board is located at:
http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/d...st.asp?l_id=10

You can attach a file, but it looks like it needs to be in zip or rar format. So you might want to zip it up before you upload it.

Michael
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:58 AM   #22
cvkemp
Loving life

Robert
I take it that our new big firmware update will be the adding of ereader DRM and being able to get books from fictionwise?

chuck
Old 09-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #23
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
Which ePub did you test? One I tried where the links did not work, is Wallace, Lane. Dreams, Hopes, Realities. This has a hyperlink TOC and many footnotes as hyperlinks. It also has clickable image hyperlinks, which are known not to work (i.e. are not a Hanlin-specific problem). I also tried, Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes which has a hyperlink in-line TOC. None of these worked.

I used a news feed created by Calibre, which has a hyperlink table of contents at the back. (I actually used the Wall Street Journal one, FWIW).
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #24
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
I don't have my EZ Reader's with me, so perhaps someone else can compare to paperback and hardback books. I think it does cover that range well though.
Thanks. My concern is that of the fonts currently available, the smallest legible one is so big that one is constantly turning the page.

If you in your non-scientific way are satisfied with the options for normal novel-reading, that's good enough for me.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #25
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Talks this morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
Robert
I take it that our new big firmware update will be the adding of ereader DRM and being able to get books from fictionwise?

chuck

Under the NDA I cannot give much detail>>> but we are actively working with Fictionwise and they with Barnes&Noble to see how we can get a contract that will work for all.

It is a bit maddening as the final wording means EVERYTHING. This could happen in a week or could drag on for months. All three sides feel we are close but specifics are paramount in this. Luckily we are just doing the damned wording.

WE think we are close!

Last edited by Robertb; 09-10-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:16 AM   #26
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
Quote:
Which ePub did you test? One I tried where the links did not work, is Wallace, Lane. Dreams, Hopes, Realities. This has a hyperlink TOC and many footnotes as hyperlinks. It also has clickable image hyperlinks, which are known not to work (i.e. are not a Hanlin-specific problem). I also tried, Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes which has a hyperlink in-line TOC. None of these worked.

I also suggest that Jinke change the software to use the 9 key to activate hyperlinks, rather than the 0 key, because 0 might be your primary page forward key and 9 (page back) is usually less used.
I have tested EPUB on both 6" and 5"

Same Hyperlinks feature EPUB works on 5" but not 6"
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote