Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 05-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Doctorow, Cory: LIttle Brother v1.0 2008-05-09

Here is Cory Doctorow's newest book: Little Brother. It is released via a Creative Commons license.

Quote:
Marcus, a.k.a “w1n5t0n,” is only seventeen years old, but he figures he already knows how the system works–and how to work the system. Smart, fast, and wise to the ways of the networked world, he has no trouble outwitting his high school’s intrusive but clumsy surveillance systems.

But his whole world changes when he and his friends find themselves caught in the aftermath of a major terrorist attack on San Francisco. In the wrong place at the wrong time, Marcus and his crew are apprehended by the Department of Homeland Security and whisked away to a secret prison where they’re mercilessly interrogated for days.

When the DHS finally releases them, Marcus discovers that his city has become a police state where every citizen is treated like a potential terrorist. He knows that no one will believe his story, which leaves him only one option: to take down the DHS himself.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Little Brother.lrf (547.8 KB, 1184 views)
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Thanks Jon
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Thanks for Little Brother

Thanks, Jon!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You are all very welcome!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:07 AM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a note that Doctorow has recommended for those who enjoyed the book and are so inclined to donate a copy of Little Brother to a school or library. Details in the book itself, and at http://craphound.com/littlebrother/donate/

I have no need for the paper based book, and so I sent a book through Amazon to a local school library.

Does this make me feel all warm and fuzzy... yeah, just a little. But I am a sucker for Karma!

Thanks again, Jon, for the eCopy!

Last edited by Donnageddon; 05-10-2008 at 01:08 AM. Reason: grammar, damn you!
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
stevejay
Enthusiast
stevejay doesn't litterstevejay doesn't litterstevejay doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500 prs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Just a note that Doctorow has recommended for those who enjoyed the book and are so inclined to donate a copy of Little Brother to a school or library. Details in the book itself, and at http://craphound.com/littlebrother/donate/

I have no need for the paper based book, and so I sent a book through Amazon to a local school library.

Does this make me feel all warm and fuzzy... yeah, just a little. But I am a sucker for Karma!

Thanks again, Jon, for the eCopy!
The language of the book may reduce your Karma to some extent, and the book is written amateurishly. I'm sorry, it was pretty bad and didactic. To ask me if I could do better would be a fair enough response, but I suspect I could have developed this theme up to some standard of literary craft.

Well maybe I should try a second round with this book, it had been praised pretty highly, and after a few pages it is not totally surprising I felt let down. Maybe I'll try again sometime, sorry I sounded so harsh.. There is much to like about this book, a great theme, potential for strong characters, but it all seemed so predetermined and contrived, and the best books I have ever read have some subtle ambiguity which lets the reader draw their own conclusions, rather than the frying pan over the head. I'm thinking of Terrorist by Updike as an example of a character study which hits its mark more successfully.

Last edited by stevejay; 02-26-2009 at 09:24 AM.
stevejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 03:49 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Just stumbled upon Exclusive to Voyager Books
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:58 AM   #9
stevejay
Enthusiast

what do you know. My opinion holds though.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:34 AM   #10
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
The language of the book may reduce your Karma to some extent
I'm not too concerned about that. I believe it is a truly excellent YA novel.

Quote:
My opinion holds though.
As does anyone believe, who has one.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
stevejay
Enthusiast

I work with a YA population, and these kids are not the same character set described by a long shot. Maybe each and every one of them is unenlightened.

Tags
cory doctorow, ebook, science fction