Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #61
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'm becoming a 350 hoarder. A friend in Europe got a used blue 350 for me, but the screen is badly damaged. So I'm going to swap the shell from a silver reader. Except I have skins on the 2 I own that cost $20, another $15 to reorder to replace on the silver after the swap, and it just made more sense to grab a used 350 from eBay for $40. And then saw another for $37! I couldn't resist! So I'm now up to 5 PRS-350s.

And the blue is just beautiful! The hassles to get it are well worth it for me.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #62
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Seriously envy you that one!! Congratulations!!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #63
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
I'm becoming a 350 hoarder. A friend in Europe got a used blue 350 for me, but the screen is badly damaged. So I'm going to swap the shell from a silver reader. Except I have skins on the 2 I own that cost $20, another $15 to reorder to replace on the silver after the swap, and it just made more sense to grab a used 350 from eBay for $40. And then saw another for $37! I couldn't resist! So I'm now up to 5 PRS-350s.

The blue IS beautiful, I would have to loved to be able to pick one up. Great find!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #64
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
I'm becoming a 350 hoarder.

[...]

And then saw another for $37! I couldn't resist! So I'm now up to 5 PRS-350s.
Thank you. I can now come out and admit to hoardership, being unable to resist buyinig a $37 cowboom 350 last year, even though I already had two.

"Spares" isn't a correct term, since they don't seem to break (ok, maybe if you sit on them). So there's some peace of mind for we hoarders to carry one wherever we go.

The most robust ereader, if you adhere to one rule: Pull the stylus straight up until it is completely out of the silo!
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #65
raiderkilo
Connoisseur
raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: PRS-350 "PRS+"
PRS-350 with PRS+ and Custom Dictionaries works very well.
raiderkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #66
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
You'd think we could find more defective ones with blue exoskeletons to harvest now that the 350's two-year-old tech.

I, too, have two 350s and use them daily.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-10-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #67
kolosus
kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.kolosus knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 4 NT (wifi), Kindle 5 (3g + wifi)
I haven't seen a blue one in the wild anytime in recent memory. Works wonders still but the kindle has a better contrast. I still use mine though.
kolosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #68
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I've now installed PRS+ on my 350 just to try it out.... seems pointless to be able to change fonts when I've got to edit the file in Calibre before it'll actually work though! Not the fault of PRS+ obviously. But I digress, the only really noticeable difference for me early on is that the battery ran out far quicker than normal. So I think I'll need to try and monitor that and I might just end up un-installing PRS+ if it continues (that is easy enough to do isn't it?).

Edit: I'd tried a soft reset as suggested in the PRS+ website and the battery was still draining, but thankfully after trying another soft reset, the battery life appears back to normal. Suddenly PRS+ looks a lot better now, and I'm back loving the 350 again! Had a chance to get a Kobo Mini for £39, but I just can't think of a single good reason to ditch the 350 for it other than it's new and shiny, and that's just not a good enough reason!

Last edited by soulfuldog; 05-06-2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Update
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #69
Yamada
Enthusiast
Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad; K1/2/DX; Some Sony thing I bought at Yodobashi
The 350 was/is really that good? I'm not trying to imply any disbelief, but I remember the reviews were somewhat average in 2010. Yet...I've seen quite a few people here talk rather glowingly about it.

The 350 still sells for $140 brand new on Amazon!
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #70
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I thought the reviews at the time were harsh because the 350 was costly compared to other ereaders and it didn't have internet access. The lack of internet was probably a fair critique especially considering that Sony included it on future models. However, the x50 had infrared touchscreens that other ereaders didn't have. I really thought reviews at the time downplayed that feature. Plus, the Sony software is good and very stable. I've yet to have it crash or freeze on me. The build is superb. Even compared to later Sony readers, the x-50 series is sturdy. So, I say all this to say, yes the 350 is really that good.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #71
Yamada
Enthusiast
Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From what I'm reading the 350 is actually constructed with a metal case, the 650 is a combination of metal/plastic.

I like that, even if it is a little older than the Kobos and Kindles and Nooks coming out today. I'm still reading on a Kindle 2, so anything is an upgrade, I suppose. I just can't bring myself to buy one of these newer plastic jobbies.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #72
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
The 350 (and 950 as well) also has a metal front with a plastic back. But that metal front keeps the glass from flexing and cracking as easily. Plastic on the back keeps the weight down.

But yes, the x50 line of Sony's readers, including the 350, was really that good. Very stable firmware, plus hackable, and with PRS+ installed, there's still nothing comparable to me yet.

Having just gotten a Kobo Glo I use at times for the light and seeing the "shortcomings" of how it even displays ebooks, definitely a big yes, the x50s were that good, everything just worked as it should.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #73
Yamada
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies.

From this site: [Deleted link to third-party copy of copyright User Guide PRS-650]

On page 9, it shows *two* full-sized memory card slots; an Memory Stick Duo and and SD slot...wow, talk about heart's delight. I happen to have plenty of both lying around.

I'm really seriously thinking about finding one of these.

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-06-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #74
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I have a 350 and a 650. Use them both probably equally as much. Sometimes, I really think I'd like a lighted reader--and have recently been severely tempted by the Kobo Aura. But, I still love my 350 and 650. Actually one of the things I really like about them is that they don't have wi-fi access--don't have to worry about "big brother" collecting information about my reading habits and purchases. Also don't have to worry about unexpected updates being sent to my system messing up my settings.

I do have PRS+ installed on both of my readers and I agree with Ripplinger--nothing comparable so far as far as customization.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #75
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I love my 350 and still read on it daily. I would like a front lit reader with higher resolution and have been looking at the Aura, but nothing beats the solid construction of the 350. It has yet to crash on me or have any software glitches (knock on wood)!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote