Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #331
atjeff1
atjeff1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You might be running in a mode that does not do any display output.
It doesn't boot altogether.
atjeff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #332
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by atjeff1 View Post
Do I charge it for a few more days and then try reflashing it with k3flasher?
I think so.
Quote:
And do I disconnect and reconnect the charger when the charge light turns off?
Nope.

Note that these are suggestions. I haven't been there before.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #333
atjeff1

T_T Suggestions and comments from experiences much needed.

Also, why does the charge indicator turn off?
Old 10-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #334
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by atjeff1 View Post
T_T Suggestions and comments from experiences much needed.
Also, why does the charge indicator turn off?
Dont quite understand it, but from what I've seen it is because the "thing" that controls said light is firmware powered and when the firmware is bricked, the light controls don't work, IIRC
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #335
atjeff1

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
Dont quite understand it, but from what I've seen it is because the "thing" that controls said light is firmware powered and when the firmware is bricked, the light controls don't work, IIRC
It turns on fine until after an hour or two.
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 05:06 AM   #336
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First: don't trust it.
Second: What color? I think green is only ever toggled by firmware. Yellow/amber might be toggled by the battery/charging controller (exclusively?) which might operate in fall-back mode here (since it isn't controlled by the main firmware).

Did you try keeping it plugged to a charger for 2-3 days?
Old 10-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #337
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
First: The led is under firmware control of some of the GPIO pins on the SoC.
Second: Don't trust it when the firmware is known to not be working as intended.
Third: It is a tri-color (rgb) led.
Fourth: The battery management and charge controller is on an external chip, under firmware control.
Fifth: Don't trust it when the firmware is known to not be working as intended.
Sixth: Some of the firmware installed on the system does not include control of the external chip, even when working properly.

Translation:
You may have to remove the battery and re-charge it on a charger external to the Kindle. If this is a K4 with a glued in place battery, doing that will be a challenge.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #338
hawhill
Wizard

knc1: Are you sure it's tri-color? I've only ever seen green and amber, neither blue nor red... Or is this about the K4? BTW, I did not forget about having k3flasher talk to the battery controller. It would reeeeally help in situations like these. However, I'm unsure if we can readily use the SPI controller and what we need to do about chip select lines...
Old 10-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #339
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
knc1: Are you sure it's tri-color? I've only ever seen green and amber, neither blue nor red... Or is this about the K4? BTW, I did not forget about having k3flasher talk to the battery controller. It would reeeeally help in situations like these. However, I'm unsure if we can readily use the SPI controller and what we need to do about chip select lines...
On the K3, it is - I have visually confirmed Red and Green.

On the DX, it should be - the firmware is written to control a tri-color led. But I don't have a DX to bork it bad enough to get it to "flashing red" state.

You should find "flashing white" during network boot loading.

On the others - not a clue.

I have only read the DX firmware in enough detail to say that we can access the battery state via the SPI bus the external chip is on.

I have not (yet) read the K3 firmware in enough detail to say the same thing about it.

Like nearly everyone else here -
I have to use my available hobby time for my own requirements first.
Public Service work gets whatever is left over.

Last edited by knc1; 10-29-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #340
atjeff1

I have a K3 keyboard, not a K4. Since the flash and fail reboot, I have kept it on the charger for about 1-2 days now and ongoing.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #341
maciejka666
maciejka666 shares his or her toysmaciejka666 shares his or her toysmaciejka666 shares his or her toysmaciejka666 shares his or her toysmaciejka666 shares his or her toysmaciejka666 shares his or her toysmaciejka666 shares his or her toysmaciejka666 shares his or her toysmaciejka666 shares his or her toysmaciejka666 shares his or her toysmaciejka666 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3 WiFI
Cool Infamous "Failed to initial Flash error" bypass

Hi after reading the whole thread I almost lost hope to pass by this error.
It turned out that once you open the back cover of the kindle, theres a small secondary reset/power button beneath the original power button on the board.
What to do?
1) open your kindle and plug it in to the pc
2) set everything in ATK as you would to flash the kernel
3) press the little bugger while holding the vol - button (in my case 3rd press worked the charm)
4) press program in ATK

After few tries it should start working (the rest is like in the original tutorial)

one pic shows where is the magic button
second is a proof that in my case it worked ewentualy

ps. Thanks for the tutorial it got me my Kindle back from the dead !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zdj?cie.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	520.4 KB
ID:	95140   Click image for larger version

Name:	bez*tytu?u.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	95141  
maciejka666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #342
knc1
Going Viral

What model Kindle is that?
Once I stood on my head, I recognized it - that is a K3

My K3 does not have the button but the circuit board has the pads for it and the silk screen has the legend: "reset" at that part position.

Last edited by knc1; 10-29-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:26 AM   #343
maciejka666
maciejka666 shares his or her toysmaciejka666 shares his or her toysmaciejka666 shares his or her toysmaciejka666 shares his or her toysmaciejka666 shares his or her toysmaciejka666 shares his or her toysmaciejka666 shares his or her toysmaciejka666 shares his or her toysmaciejka666 shares his or her toysmaciejka666 shares his or her toysmaciejka666 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3 WiFI
Sorry forgot to mention, yes it is a K3 Wifi B008 from 2010. Wonder if short circuit this place on board would have the same effect. With mine unit the problem was as other have mentioned earlier, 90 seconds reset, no reaction on screen, and that ATK (winxp32bit) would recognise it as MX35 from the moment it was pluged in the usb, but refusing to flash and no reaction to holding power button for 30 sec and vol-, even removing the battery didnt have any effect on the process, it worked the moment I started playing with this reset button.
maciejka666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #344
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciejka666 View Post
Sorry forgot to mention, yes it is a K3 Wifi B008 from 2010. Wonder if short circuit this place on board would have the same effect. With mine unit the problem was as other have mentioned earlier, 90 seconds reset, no reaction on screen, and that ATK (winxp32bit) would recognise it as MX35 from the moment it was pluged in the usb, but refusing to flash and no reaction to holding power button for 30 sec and vol-, even removing the battery didnt have any effect on the process, it worked the moment I started playing with this reset button.
Yup, I would expect it to still work and that Amazon just saved the cost of buying a few million push buttons.
(When buying in lots of a million parts, even 0.1 cent adds up to real money in a hurry.)

Note: It will take a very steady pair of hands and some needle sized probes to connect to these pads - they are not very big.

Maybe someone with an open K3 can test if the reset pads still work (there might be a few other parts involved that are missing from the reset circuit - not just the missing button).
Old 11-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #345
vdominguez
vdominguez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K3
Kindle K3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbl View Post
Does anyone have a link for the kindle 3 root file system (mmcblk0p1-k3g-3.3.zip)? The Gitbrew website doesn't work for me.
The 2 files stated in debricking process will not zip. Help
vdominguez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debrick, debricking, howto, kindle 3