Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 08-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
fulltimer
Enthusiast
fulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: K2, K3(3G-WIFI), Fire
Broke The Screen on My Fire Today

My Fire has never been out of the Marware case since I got it but today it slipped out of my hand and landed face down with the cover open.

The snap was loud and when I picked it up saw the gorilla glass had shattered. It still starts and I can still use it but the shards of glass are a problem.

I called Kindle support and they said they would replace it for $100 exchange.

I looked online and found a replacement screen here for $34.99.
Kindle Fire Glass and Digitizer Assembly

Fortunately, I have the Square Trade Warranty and contacted them and will have a replacement here by Wednesday.

Gonna be a long weekend.

don
fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Square Trade to the rescue

There's something to be said for raised bezels, like B&N uses for their tablets.

Nook Tablet vs Kindle Fire Drop Test -- face down drop @ 4:00

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
fulltimer
Enthusiast
fulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

The Marware cover has raised tabs that extend past the face almost a quarter of an inch and are padded to absorb shock when dropped.

The device fell straight down and landed flat on the floor on those padded tabs.

I was surprised that it shattered.

And yes, Square Trade to the rescue. I had forgotten I had purchased it and almost ordered the replacement screen before remembering.

don
Old 08-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
ladderten1551
ladderten1551 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Since we are on the subject...I broke the screen on mine and bought that $35 replacement glass. I followed a youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XkxGEFfPyE) and think I did a pretty good job, besides breaking the antenna cable, but isn't that just for wi-fi..? I can replace that later.

When I turned the Kindle Fire back on, it started up like a charm and my glass was gorgeous. HOWEVER...I slide my finger to unlock the Fire and it was unresponsive. I don't know what I did to make the "touch" part of the touchscreen not work. I opened it back up and everything is connected...except for that stupid antenna cable that I broke.

Can anyone tell me if that antenna cable breaking has anything to do with the Kindle no longer responding to my touch?
ladderten1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladderten1551 View Post
Since we are on the subject...I broke the screen on mine and bought that $35 replacement glass. I followed a youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XkxGEFfPyE) and think I did a pretty good job, besides breaking the antenna cable, but isn't that just for wi-fi..? I can replace that later.

When I turned the Kindle Fire back on, it started up like a charm and my glass was gorgeous. HOWEVER...I slide my finger to unlock the Fire and it was unresponsive. I don't know what I did to make the "touch" part of the touchscreen not work. I opened it back up and everything is connected...except for that stupid antenna cable that I broke.

Can anyone tell me if that antenna cable breaking has anything to do with the Kindle no longer responding to my touch?
It could be a bad digitizer itself. You might want to try and see if putting the original screen lets you touch just to make sure.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
ladderten1551
ladderten1551 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Oddly enough, I turned it back on today and the screen was working perfectly. Now...due to my carelessness...the antenna cable broke while I was putting it back together. It seems like an easy fix, but where do I find an antenna cable?
ladderten1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
fulltimer
Enthusiast

On the order that Square Trade entered for my replacement Fire it was for a used Kindle but Amazon sent me a new one instead.

I suppose they were all out of used or reconditioned Kindle Fires.

It came today, a full day sooner than it was promised.

You just can't beat Square Trade and Amazon for service.

don
Old 08-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post
You just can't beat Square Trade and Amazon for service.
I can wholeheartedly agree with the Amazon/Kindle service. I haven't had the opprtunity, yet, to go the Square Trade route. *Knocks on wood*
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote