Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 04:00 AM   #1
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
invitation only threads

Hi,
invitation only threads, are they possible?
That option exists for social groups.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:08 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why would you want such a thing? It sounds terribly divisive to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 05:46 AM   #3
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is divisive. How terribly is, it depends on how one implements it and parametrize it. For instance on how cumbersome is to get invited.

In this instance, the main reason is to shield the thread from the posts of one individual member.
So, what I am interested actually is the possibility of all except you thread.

There are other ways to it, I know. And an other one, I can implement myself from what there is available.

I deduct from your answer that either there is not the possibility of invitation only threads, or that you do not know, plus other meaningless interpretations.

Last edited by beppe; 04-30-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
Ivy
Sometimes I purr.
Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
There is no such option in the standard forum settings. However, there could be a mod designed to do just that, but I have personally never seen one and even if there was, you would have to get admins to install it for you. Admins usually don't like that, but you could research it a bit and give it a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
In this instance, the main reason is to shield the thread from the posts of one individual member.
If you feel a member should be prevented from posting somewhere, you could always report him to the staff. They have the ability to ban him from the forums altogether, or just from a specific sub-forum, so maybe your goal could be achieved via a partial ban of the member.

That is, if the member really deserves it, and this isn't just about you guys not liking each other.
Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:14 AM   #5
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

I just edited my post, so you might reread it.
Thank you for the answer. You have suggested what looks like the normal way to proceed.

I might get close to what I want with a different approach. Not so tidy.

There are no elements for a possible mod action, such as you indicate, and it would be in any case of disproportioned effects. I don't think that I would like that anyhow.
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:19 AM   #7
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Old 05-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've started threads where immature trolls have jumped in with both feet. Is that not even more divisive? One thread was closed down at my request due to a juvenile minded troll playing around the words teats and tits.

Yes, we can place them on our "Ignore list" but their actions will still have an effect on the posts, whether or not we can see their posting.

We could report their actions, but to what effect? By the time a troll has decided to pester you a certain amount of enmity has built up. Your reporting will be viewed as a personal antagonism and dismissed.

A troll who is careful about his wording can, and does, get by with no censures.

In short, there are people I strongly disagree with, but with whom I have respect for personally. I've even sent them prior notice of a posting that I intended to make, so that I could get some constructive criticism in the conversation.

There are others who will join in a thread with the intention of disrupting it.

If we can't get the mods to remove such people, Beppie’s way would make a lot of people happier. Don't think so? Look at how many have dropped out of MR.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Eh, (Italian way of saying, there it is someone with more experience than me, with similar desires, mind you similar, not the same). The power of the language of a culture that wrote on marble and with bronze, words that were supposed to last longer than bronze. Therefore the synthesis. Aere perennius.

The trick I will use is.
At the bottom of the initial post, I will write :

For SoAnSo's eyes only
Spoiler:
Be advised that I will not read your posts in this thread.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
If we can't get the mods to remove such people, Beppie’s way would make a lot of people happier. Don't think so? Look at how many have dropped out of MR.
I don't think banning people selectively from some threads will improve anything. Trolls and irrespectful people in general are better ignored than encouraged by victimising them.

On the people who have dropped out of MR: why would anyone leave a wonderful forum like this because of what others think? Some of those who left didn't like the reaction they got to some really awful things they had posted. In my opinion they harvested what they had sown, even though I think it would have been better to ignore them.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #11
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I don't think the software allows restricted participation in individual threads.

I've been on plenty of forums that had restricted-access subforums, either for the mods (I assume there's a hidden mod forum here somewhere; I have no interest in knowing the details) or for "the regulars" who want a place to discuss things away from distracting newbie questions and away from trollish attention grabs.

I suspect that the factions here would make that impractical; there's no one group of regulars who agree on who the semi-trolls are & aren't.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
The trick I will use is.
At the bottom of the initial post, I will write :

For SoAnSo's eyes only
If you want to send a personal message to someone, would it not perhaps be better to send them a PM?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I know I'd drop out of MR in a flash if something like this would be implemented. It's elitist and terribly childish. "If we don't like you, you can't join our little group". Actually, the fact that somebody actually asked a question makes we wonder about some people on this forum.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #14
Ivy
Sometimes I purr.
Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I've started threads where immature trolls have jumped in with both feet. Is that not even more divisive? One thread was closed down at my request due to a juvenile minded troll playing around the words teats and tits.
I believe closing a thread is worse than banning a member (be it a complete or partial ban), because it's something you take from the community. A good ban is a gift to the community, in my opinion, as it removes the troll/trouble-maker/whatever and allows the rest to have a nice discussion.

I do agree that topics can get spoiled, but with some good (and fast) moderating, there's nothing deleting posts and banning the culprits won't fix.
Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I know I'd drop out of MR in a flash if something like this would be implemented. It's elitist and terribly childish. "If we don't like you, you can't join our little group". Actually, the fact that somebody actually asked a question makes we wonder about some people on this forum.
I don't think it's elitist or childish to think, "couldn't we have just one discussion about piracy or copyright without [that jerk] spewing irrelevant nonsense all over the thread?"

I just don't think we have enough agreement on who the "that jerks" are, to use restrictions to make it work.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote