Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Why do you purchase books?
To contribute to the author 58 71.60%
Free things have no value 1 1.23%
It is wrong to not contribute to the author 22 27.16%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #76
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
So this poll was intended to validate some pre-existing notions that you have regarding copyright
This is exactly how it looks to me as well. An appalling list of "options" which all equate to the same thing. I certainly wouldn't want to contribute to such a poll.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:35 PM   #77
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
This is exactly how it looks to me as well. An appalling list of "options" which all equate to the same thing. I certainly wouldn't want to contribute to such a poll.
Unfortunately I don't think I'm able to modify a poll. I suppose I could start the new poll but then what would happen to this one? Should it just be deleted? Maybe it could be put in a poll archive, a few of the posts were enlightening.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #78
Janette55
Connoisseur
Janette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it is

Device: Sony 900
Stickybuns states,

"I have a category on my Kindle labeled "fluff", so I'm certainly not adverse to reading non-classic literature. My sincere apologies if you felt that your tastes were being inadvertently judged!"

No need for you to apologize, I was actually thinking of when I attended a book signing; the room for the authors had accidently been given to another group, lawyers, for a meeting.
When it was stated that the authors had the room first, the person in charge was very nice. Until he learned it was romance authors. He then turned his nose up in the air and made an asinine remark about how he wrote "real" books. Yeah, I've read such books, they do a great job lots of time putting me to sleep!

I like all types, classics, fiction, non-fiction (I've even be known to pick up the dictionary or encylopedia when bored). What "ticks" me off is authors who feel that they are superior becaue they don't write "romance" novels.
S, I wasn't offended.

As for the Giggleton,

"Would you still pay for these books if you could download and read them in their entirety for free? I'm beginning to suspect that for most of our purchases we don't really take into account the origins of the text. Occassionally I do but certainly not for every textual purchase."

If a store was to offer you a free suit, would you seek to contact the designer, those who made the suit, the manager and clerks of the store and offer to pay them?
So, no, if the book was offered to me for free, I would take it. I have attended a weekend retreat with authors and readers (me being a reader) and was given several books for free. I didn't offer to pay for them and even asked them to sign the books for me. They are freely giving the book away, and so I am under no obligation to pay for it.
Now, such places as ManyBooks offer books free, asking for donations, as does Calibre in asking for support. And I have and will give to them, but I do not HAVE to. It is only decent that I do so, but not legally required; morally but not legal.
Janette55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:41 AM   #79
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette55 View Post
As for the Giggleton,

If a store was to offer you a free suit, would you seek to contact the designer, those who made the suit, the manager and clerks of the store and offer to pay them?

So, no, if the book was offered to me for free, I would take it. I have attended a weekend retreat with authors and readers (me being a reader) and was given several books for free. I didn't offer to pay for them and even asked them to sign the books for me. They are freely giving the book away, and so I am under no obligation to pay for it.

Now, such places as ManyBooks offer books free, asking for donations, as does Calibre in asking for support. And I have and will give to them, but I do not HAVE to. It is only decent that I do so, but not legally required; morally but not legal.
We are talking about books here, not suits, not music, BOOKS and by extension the books creator and the food required to sustain that creator while they write the books.

I suppose I am specifically interested in new books, as in about to be published. And determining how to go about flowing the monies from the reader to the author in a copyright free world. It is inevitable that copyright will be abandoned, in these coming times it will be up to the individual to make the decisions concerning which texts/ideas they wish to support monetarily, thus with their donations popularizing ideas. If the market is the great equalizer, then we should let the market decide which text is more equal than others should we not? By letting the texts flow freely, the money will flow ever more freely.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:28 AM   #80
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
By letting the texts flow freely, the money will flow ever more freely.
Something's flowing pretty freely, alright.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #81
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
I think you can substitute software for books in your poll. Would that change any responses? Would the OP still pay for freely provided antivirus software, etc.?

Except for certain purists, I suspect most people (including me) buy books because in the immortal words of DD, "I purchase books because the ones I want have a price tag on them." QED.

speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:17 AM   #82
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Take Calibre -- has everyone donated?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:22 AM   #83
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Take Calibre -- has everyone donated?
At first glance we can look at some text and say that is Calibre but looking closer and we see a very large infrastructure that had to be created before Calibre was able to exist, thinking of things in this way I think it is safe to say that everyone on this forum and perhaps everyone who owns a computing device has donated to Calibre.

Maybe what we need is a poll from the future.