Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Agency pricing (almost) 1 year on...how many e-books have you NOT bought?

When agency pricing came in, I started keeping a list of agency e-books I didn't buy. It has about 100 titles on it. Last week, in honor of the approaching one year anniversary of agency pricing, I tidied up the list and sent it to the appropriate five publishers. I have no idea if they'll pay any attention - probably not - but somewhat illogically I still feel better

And, it turns out I was able to get many of the books (in p-book, but WTH) from my local library and a few more from local used bookstores (yes, we still have a couple nearby). A bunch more were backlist titles that I already owned in p-book too, so I didn't really NEED them. So I've been able to read most of the books I hadn't already read for free, or nearly free, anyway.

Just wondering if other boycotting folks have a sense of how many e-books they haven't bought due to the agency issue, or if I'm the only one nerdly enough to actually keep a list...

- Sue

P.S. Oh yeah, I probably should mention that I did cheat and buy 2 titles I really wanted to read and couldn't find otherwise, but I DID use my Groupon B&N gift card deal - amazing what rationalization can do for you!

Last edited by sufue; 02-24-2011 at 07:45 AM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Agency pricing is relatively new in the UK, and although I don't keep a list, there's probably around 20 ebooks that I didn't get so far and bought as second-hand paper copies instead.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I don't know, but agency pricing did effect my purchases. I like to use Kobo discount codes when they are available, but for some reason they don't seem to work with agency books, so I just usually get something else.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Myself, I don't care who sets the price or how they set it: eBook prices could be set by monkeys rolling dice in Katmandu for all I care.

What I do care about is how closely the price approaches what I think the eBook is worth to me. The closer it is, the more likely I am to buy it. I don't buy high priced eBooks - but I also don't expect paperback or lower prices for eBooks if the book's still in hardcover.

Given the way prices have risen, I haven't bought a lot of books lately - and I barely have time to keep up with the freebies - but when I do buy one, the question of whether it's sold according to the retail or agency model doesn't enter the equation.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I am more interested in agency pricing in terms of what publishers are not on the list. I would rather not do any business with agency comapnies. One of the companies that I do a lot of business with is not on that list, Golden Eagle a division of Harlequin, which incidently is not on the list either.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I went from buying about a hundred books in one year (including short stories) to 4 since april 2010. Not so much because of pricing, but on the worst thing that happend with that change: geographical restrictions.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I don't care who's pricing the book, as long as it's a price I'm willing to pay.

I believe I've only delayed on 4 or 5 books because of price. At least 1 of those dropped to an acceptable price after a few months, and another is not agency priced. Some are agency-priced backlist, and are only over my preferred price by $3, which is not a big deal.

Considering that ebook sales are still going through the roof, I'm going to guess that most consumers don't care.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Most are not aware of what agency pricing are and very willing to pay any price for anything at all. I have a rather dim view of human nature.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #9
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I went from buying about a hundred books in one year (including short stories) to 4 since april 2010. Not so much because of pricing, but on the worst thing that happend with that change: geographical restrictions.
indeed. i hate geo restrictions D: still, it forces me to look at alternative sites like feedbooks and freebies from publisher sites. i guess in a way it's making me save xD
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:02 AM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Most are not aware of what agency pricing are and very willing to pay any price for anything at all. I have a rather dim view of human nature.
Yes, most are not aware that agency pricing is a good thing that tries to break Amazons monopolistic tendencies and tries to save a sustainable book market.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Ditto !

I didn't bought that many books. books from wheel of time are long and take time to read.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I didn't buy probably 12 books (1 a month) because the price was more than I was willing to pay. Most of these I got from the library (a few in pbook form). One of these, where the ebook price was more than the hardcover, I got off the dark net. I am not proud of that, but come on. More than the hardcover?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #13
outlander78
Zealot
outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc 7
I don't know how to tell. I regularly search out books I want to read, or more often re-read (but as an ebook), but I skip anything over $10, and quite a few over $8. If agency pricing pushes books past those thresholds, then I'm not even a customer anymore.

I hope that your idea of keeping tracking and writing in pays off. I may do the same, but focus on price rather than agency vs free market pricing.
outlander78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:21 AM   #14
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
I don't care who's pricing the book, as long as it's a price I'm willing to pay.
Same here. I e-mailed a publisher today to ask why an e-book that I wanted to buy was £15.99, while the paperback is £7.49. I don't expect e-books to necessarily be cheaper than the paper versions, but I can't bring myself to pay over double the paperback price for the e-book.

I added it to my watch list, and if the price comes down to something I'm willing to pay, I'll buy it.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #15
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
There are a couple hundred books in my "Too expensive" wish list that I would have bought at a lower price. I have them listed in ereaderiq and will buy them if the price drops to below $7. Fortunately there are enough books being offered at good prices that I'm still buying faster than I'm reading them.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote