Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 06-05-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Anderson, Sherwood: The Triumph of the Egg & Other Stories - v1 - 5 June 07

Published in 1921, just after Poor White, The Triumph of the Egg & Other Stories is a wonderful collection. This is the collection that got me hooked on Anderson in the first place.

We had a reading assignment in HS English of one of his stories. The teacher did not care much for Anderson and let us all know that very plainly. Then again she didn't very much that was not The Diary of Anne Frank. I read the other stories in the textbook by Anderson and went out that weekend to buy The Portable Anderson. Since we were allowed to bring outside reading material to school I brought the book and read it in my free periods or study hall. When she saw the book her face turned red and she got mad. I think I would have had an easier time if it had been The Story of 'O'

So here it is and it still has my vote as the best of the lot.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf The Triumph of the Egg.lrf (244.4 KB, 1305 views)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Published in 1921, just after Poor White, The Triumph of the Egg & Other Stories is a wonderful collection. This is the collection that got me hooked on Anderson in the first place.

We had a reading assignment in HS English of one of his stories. The teacher did not care much for Anderson and let us all know that very plainly. Then again she didn't very much that was not The Diary of Anne Frank. I read the other stories in the textbook by Anderson and went out that weekend to buy The Portable Anderson. Since we were allowed to bring outside reading material to school I brought the book and read it in my free periods or study hall. When she saw the book her face turned red and she got mad. I think I would have had an easier time if it had been The Story of 'O'

So here it is and it still has my vote as the best of the lot.

I've read a number of Anderson's short stories, and I agree with you that he is an important (and underated) writer.

The teacher you mentioned should be damned for attempting to dictate to you her preferential reading tastes. I'm a teacher and that's my opinion.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:21 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I was blessed in both HS and college with very few bad teachers/professors and far more wonderful teachers/professors.

One of the best I ever had in HS had been there from before they built the HS. She taught Modern & Contemporary History. We didn't have lectures but we were all expected to read the assigned material and then discuss the issues. She figured anyone could memorize a bunch of names and dates; butm she wanted us to argue the multiple sides. If you knew the material she didn't care which side you argued for or against. I had more fun and learned more in that class than any other class my senior year.

Based on what I have read of your posts here, I have no doubt that you are an excellent teacher. Thank you for being one.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:40 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I was blessed in both HS and college with very few bad teachers/professors and far more wonderful teachers/professors.

One of the best I ever had in HS had been there from before they built the HS. She taught Modern & Contemporary History. We didn't have lectures but we were all expected to read the assigned material and then discuss the issues. She figured anyone could memorize a bunch of names and dates; butm she wanted us to argue the multiple sides. If you knew the material she didn't care which side you argued for or against. I had more fun and learned more in that class than any other class my senior year.

Based on what I have read of your posts here, I have no doubt that you are an excellent teacher. Thank you for being one.
Those are very kind words. Thank you very much.

Don
Old 06-06-2007, 07:15 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is it the school holidays at the moment, Don? I'm very impressed by the number of books you're producing!

What subject do you teach?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:40 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is it the school holidays at the moment, Don? I'm very impressed by the number of books you're producing!

What subject do you teach?
This is the final week of school, and all the kids watched a movie yesterday as I sat in front of my computer. Today is field day, so I'll be in and out of the school building today, so no new titles until late this afternoon. (And Friday is the final day, which is only a one-half day...then that's it - school is over!!)

I'm certified in Integrated Language Arts, so I can teach English, Reading, Speech, and Drama. I currently teach 8th grade Reading here in Ohio, but I'm looking for a new position, perhaps one in English - and perhaps even out of the state.

When I was working on my Ph.D in English (not completed), I also taught in the University.

I actually enjoy putting together these titles for our Reader. It's very rewarding to see the final product; but, as you know it can also be frustrating at times.

As you know - although some "compilers" here on Mobileread may not know this - putting together a title is soooo much simplier when the file is an HTML file.

(I need to fill out my Profile information.)

Thanks for asking!

Don
Old 06-06-2007, 07:52 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
DEFINITELY a lot easier to start with HTML, yes!

Have you found, though, that BD messes up on some of the PG Australia HTML files? I've found it doing some very peculiar things with some of those - eg, you highlight a few words, try to give them the "Title" style, and the whole text from there on down turns to "Title". Very odd! I've found that the best thing to do with those is to load the HTML file into "Word", then copy the text from Word and paste it into BD.

Anyway, enjoy the holidays - you deserve it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
DEFINITELY a lot easier to start with HTML, yes!

Have you found, though, that BD messes up on some of the PG Australia HTML files? I've found it doing some very peculiar things with some of those - eg, you highlight a few words, try to give them the "Title" style, and the whole text from there on down turns to "Title". Very odd! I've found that the best thing to do with those is to load the HTML file into "Word", then copy the text from Word and paste it into BD.

Anyway, enjoy the holidays - you deserve it!

Thanks for the thoughts! School's crazy right now!!

Yes, actually I've encountered this problem before. It's enheriting some kind of paragraph attribute that is not clearly discernible to me. It's really strange what will happen sometimes...

Also, I'll sometimes get confused about whether an attribute is inherited BEFORE the paragraph or AFTER the paragraph.

Don
Old 06-07-2007, 12:28 PM   #9
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
all these short stories from you, short attention span, eh
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote