Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-10-2015, 03:17 AM   #1
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Moon+ CSS questions

Hi there. Since my Kobo died I've been using Calibre Companion along with Moon+ Pro to read my books. Although it's been working great so far, I've been encountering CSS rendering problems with Moon+ that aren't present in other eReader apps.

One major problem that I have with it is some text alignment don't work.

I'm really not an expert with coding apps and such, but I do understand basic HTML and CSS. One thing I found out is it seems that Moon+ ignores a global justification rule. Some centered rule paragraphs are also ignored. I had to manually add text-align: justify; to every class that are supposed to be justified in the CSS file.

Here are some screen shots.

The lighter background is Moon+ and the darker one is Cool Reader (the same as Aldiko). I also tried uploading the books to my Google Playbooks account and the books are fine there.

I can't post the book file because of copyright issues and I can't extract a page or two because I'm away from a computer right now. But if anyone of you would like to take a close look, drop me a PM and maybe we could figure something out.

(just a note... The option to disable CSS in Moon+ is unchecked.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1423556088299.png
Views:	342
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	134671

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1423556101529.png
Views:	352
Size:	331.8 KB
ID:	134672

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1423556116607.png
Views:	354
Size:	938.5 KB
ID:	134673

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1423556137362.png
Views:	354
Size:	970.8 KB
ID:	134674
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:46 AM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
My experience is similar to yours, Moon+ is quite poor at honouring internal css. You do get truer style rendering if you switch on the 'Preview with publisher formatting' option (it's a button on the top menubar on my phone, can be switched on under 'Miscellaneous options'). The biggest drawback for me is that 'paging' is scrolling only - all that spinning text is distracting. Some options, such as TTS, are disabled in Preview mode so I have to flip in and out. Of course, if I've got TTS on, the visual styling isn't really important.

I'll also be interested whether other Moon+ fans have found tips for better styling.

ETA: You'll get a better css styles job with either the Pocketbook or Mantano Android apps.

Last edited by jackie_w; 02-10-2015 at 03:50 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:54 AM   #3
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
My experience is similar to yours, Moon+ is quite poor at honouring internal css. You do get truer style rendering if you switch on the 'Preview with publisher formatting' option (it's a button on the top menubar on my phone, can be switched on under 'Miscellaneous options'). The biggest drawback for me is that 'paging' is scrolling only - all that spinning text is distracting. Some options, such as TTS, are disabled in Preview mode so I have to flip in and out. Of course, if I've got TTS on, the visual styling isn't really important.

I'll also be interested whether other Moon+ fans have found tips for better styling.
That's also my problem with publisher format. The texts are cut off at the top and bottom and it annoys the living daylights out of me. I'm the type of person who spends hours editing an ePub just so it would look good on an eReader.

But Moon+ really takes the cake. I won't know if the formats are all correct unless I read them. I mostly just dump a bunch of books on my device and probably won't open them for months. Then once I do, I just see red.

I've tried contacting Moon+ support multiple times but they don't reply. I also tried leaving a bad review on Google Play but still radio silence.

It's coming to a point where I'm almost regretting purchasing the app.

And I would like to switch to Aldiko but everytime I open a book through Calibre Companion, Aldiko automatically imports the book in its own directory, leaving me with two copies.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:11 AM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Well give Pocketbook by Obreey a try (I have no vested interests, BTW). It's free so you won't have to shell out again. I don't believe it takes copies of all your books. It doesn't have as much customisation as Moon+ but it does have plenty (some well hidden ) It also has TTS, progress-sync-via-Dropbox, configurable tap-zones and gestures and support for Adobe DRM (I think, but I've never tried it). It's really very nice. I've been using it quite a lot lately since Mantano got a bit glitchy.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:17 AM   #5
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
Well give Pocketbook by Obreey a try (I have no vested interests, BTW). It's free so you won't have to shell out again. I don't believe it takes copies of all your books. It doesn't have as much customisation as Moon+ but it does have plenty (some well hidden ) It also has TTS, progress-sync-via-Dropbox, configurable tap-zones and gestures and support for Adobe DRM (I think, but I've never tried it). It's really very nice. I've been using it quite a lot lately since Mantano got a bit glitchy.
Thanks. I'm gonna give it a try. Cool Reader seems nice but it's not that user-friendly.

Update:

I am now in love with Pocketbook. It does all the things I want it to do. It even displays the correct Adobe epub page numbers. I just wish there's a pro version somewhere.

Last edited by hleo12; 02-10-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:05 PM   #6
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
This is why I don't use moon any more. I am using fbreader instead. Fbreader is only good with epub, though. With mobi, it's atrocious, so avoid that. Fbreader also has an excellent tts plugin.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
It also has TTS, progress-sync-via-Dropbox, configurable tap-zones and gestures and support for Adobe DRM (I think, but I've never tried it).
DRM works great with Pocketbook. It even opens the DRM file (forgot the extension) directly in Pocketbook and it will automatically download the ePub from Adobe.

I've recently tested this with a book from Kobo.