Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-30-2014, 06:03 AM   #31
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I can understand your confusion.
Right, that's completely understandable.

And I'm glad someone who owns the hardware said it.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #32
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
I'm one of those with the € 9,99 flat rate.
Why?
I can't do without Outlook. It's not a matter of choice. My needs, such as signatures with corporate logos, can't be solved with iMail and the likes.
I bought the flat rate briefly after getting my Surface Pro Gen 1.
Since I frequently switch units, I didn't want to invest € 250 at once.
With the flat rate I pay about the purchase price over 2 years - should I use it that long...
I don't have any problems with the price.
Compared to the purchase price of € 250, a monthly fee of € 9,99 is absolutely okay.
Is the purchase price of € 250 acceptable? It's certainly steep, if you only use it for your occasional private letter. But for professional or semi-professional needs, I guess it's acceptable.
I haven't tested the iPad version intensively enough yet. But since my flat rate works fine (I didn't even have to enter my account data, since I already had OneDrive activated), it's a free bonus anyway.
And like others said before: 5 installations!
I've got it on my MacBook Air, my Surface Pro 2, both my Dell Windows 8 tablets and now on iPad in addition.
Nothing to complain about!

BTW: I like, how they solved the activations. You see them in your account and can manage yourself.
I hate ADE in comparison. I always ran out of activations and had to contact the Adobe support, to receive new ones...

Last edited by mgmueller; 04-02-2014 at 11:42 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
And like others said before: 5 installations!
I've got it on my MacBook Air, my Surface Pro 2, both my Dell Windows 8 tablets and now on iPad in addition.
I believe it's 5 PCs AND 5 mobile devices, so up to 10 in total.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #34
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Unless, that is, you sign up for Office 365 through the iOS app, in which case the license terms strictly prohibit using it for any commercial purpose. I couldn't even use it to write a book in my spare time without violating their terms.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sure you could. You just couldn't sell the book.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #36
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Kind of defeats the purpose, don't you think?
Old 04-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #37
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
I believe it's 5 PCs AND 5 mobile devices, so up to 10 in total.
Correct. I have 3 PCs/Macs attached and 2 iPads, but the iPads are NOT showing up as taking up slots on the mobile devices section.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #38
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Unless they changed their policy, you used to be able to install Office on at least two, if not three, computers. Those of us who already have Office on our computers don't need this new version on them. I'm one of those people who only upgrade Office about every other time, and keep in mind that Office is only updated once every few years. So this cloud crap is IMO just a way to bilk us out of more money. The same with Adobe Photoshop. I crunched the numbers and it would cost me 2-1/2 times more for Adobe's cloud crap than it did for buying every other upgrade. Neither Adobe nor MS ever seem to turn out major updates to their flagship products. Their updates are mostly incremental and not worth the money to update every single time.
I recently bought MS Office 2013 and it is for one computer only.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:31 PM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I recently bought MS Office 2013 and it is for one computer only.

Carol
There are all sorts of different licences for Office.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #40
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
There are all sorts of different licences for Office.
Probably. What I bought was the key card which I think they are going to. I really don't see any of the discs being sold. All of the ones that I have seen are for 1 computer only and were in retail stores. They may have different licenses at MS site online.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #41
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
...They may have different licenses at MS site online.
No. I've been in German Media Markt a few days ago. They sell key cards (no media) with numerous license versions there. I've found the one I've bought online as well: 5 PCs/Macs, € 10 per month or € 100 per year.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #42
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Are you saying that authors, provided they use Word, has to dole out for a Commercial version of tha application?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #43
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Are you saying that authors, provided they use Word, has to dole out for a Commercial version of tha application?
In short, yes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by License terms (Office 365 consumer)
Only one person at a time may use the software on each licensed computer or licensed device. The service/software may not be used for commercial, non-profit, or revenue-generating activities.
Since writing a book that you intend to sell is a "revenue-generating activity," using the Consumer subscription to do so violates the license agreement.

Note, as explained in detail at the link, that the in-app upgrade is for a consumer license.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:00 AM   #44
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Read it, now I'm even more confused.
If the Publisher has a Commercial license you'd be ok? At least that was my interpretation.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:09 AM   #45
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Read it, now I'm even more confused.
If the Publisher has a Commercial license you'd be ok? At least that was my interpretation.
Here's my take on it.

If you already have a commercial license, you can add your iPad to it and maintain that.

If you don't already have a license, you can buy the one of your choosing through normal channels and use that, subject to whatever terms it imposes.

If you get the iPad app and buy a license as an in-app purchase, you'll get locked into a consumer license.

If you get the iPad app and want to get a commercial license through the app, you're out of luck.

Here's the key summary, from the second paragraph of the article:
Quote:
The only subscription currently available for purchase through the app is for Office 365 Home Premium, which specifically prohibits commercial use. (Business subscriptions for Office 365 are set up through an organizational portal. There's no practical way to sell those subscriptions via in-app purchase.)