Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Search is certainly extremely important, I agree, but I'd rank it lower than good multi-document handling.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #17
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
First of all I'd like to see the ability to remove applications completely (snip)
- Internet browser
- Internet access
Agreed from a time management and protecting proprietary information perspective. On the other hand, it would be nice to load articles onto the device without using a computer as an intermediary. Perhaps a dedicated application would help out there, but I don't know how much cooperation you'd get from the publishers. A web browser would also be handy for reading locally stored documentation and reference materials, much of which isn't appropriate for the linear nature of ePub and PDF.

I'd also like to add loadable dictionaries. Standard dictionaries are just about useless for the jargon found in science and engineering.

Now that my mind has shifted away from articles and towards reference materials, it would also be nice to copy snippets directly to a computer's clipboard (either via Wi-Fi or bluetooth). If you're out of reach of your computer, it would be cued up and sent when you are nearby.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #18
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paper & electrophoretic
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Search is certainly extremely important, I agree, but I'd rank it lower than good multi-document handling.
I agree. The ability to quickly jump from one document to another (and from page A to page B of the same paper) is the really essential feature.
BoldlyDubious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #19
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
I'd cut out highlighting and underlining (since a properly concise paper would have its entire text underlined),
I wish the PhD theses I have to examine were concise.

Highlighting or some form or another would be critical for me as would annotating in general. The Sony 13" unit really appeals on this basis.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #20
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Any device which doesn't offer this ability is no use whatsoever for the academic/scientific reader.
That is like claiming that something at 5K has no thermal energy whatsoever.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #21
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
A4/letter-sized ereaders would be *fragile.*
Are you making that statement with or without taking into account the (alleged) reduced fragility of this particular screen technology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Something like the DX is plenty big enough for most academic purposes;
I guess that "most" leaves you some wiggle room, but I think quite a few disagree. Many find panning a window into a page unsatisfactory.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
1. better navigation. This would include ways to create the equivalent of 'playlists' that you can navigate quickly, including from one document to another, windowing and tabbing and 'task switching'
2. better organization of notes (including formal citations), and reading material.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:49 AM   #23
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
- 10 inch screen as you said A4 readability
- color e-ink screen
- real stylus pen (wacom)
- connectivity with the printer
- ability to export annotations only pages
- ability to make copy of a original to make the annotations on leaving the original file intact
- palm rejection when annotating

those would be some of the few.

Edit: my field is in humanities so my expectations maybe completely different from somebody who is studying physics for example. Scientific calculator would be of no use to me for example.

Last edited by Geralt; 06-03-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #24
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
- ability to make copy of a original to make the annotations on leaving the original file intact
I would guess you still have a copy of your original file on your pc or from whereever you load the device.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #25
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I would guess you still have a copy of your original file on your pc or from whereever you load the device.
I like the option of having both original and copy on the ereader as well as making the copy directly on the device.

ezPDF application lets you do that on android OS on my tablet for example.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #26
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I can see the advantages of having both versions on the device - and, for instance, the Onyx reader lets you do this too - what I was meaning was that this is something we can do ourselves with a very small amount of time whereas with most of the other wishes in this thread we need the help of the developers.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #27
Pismire
Small God, also Turtle.
Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I am surprised colour seems to be an issue for many here. So a black and white display would be a deal-breaker for you?

In my field of work, colour plays a very small role, and during manuscript submission you are encouraged to ensure any colour images would still be understandable when printed on a grey scale. How is it important to you?
Pismire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #28
Geralt
Witcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismire View Post
I am surprised colour seems to be an issue for many here. So a black and white display would be a deal-breaker for you?

In my field of work, colour plays a very small role, and during manuscript submission you are encouraged to ensure any colour images would still be understandable when printed on a grey scale. How is it important to you?
For me not necessarily because I am in humanities. But as somebody mentioned who studied biology black and white IS a deal-breaker. I am pretty sure you can understand why.
But even I annotate in at least 2-3 colors on my tablet. I have better overview that way than with just one color. (it's usually 1 color for underline, 1 for written comments)

Well, not all fields of work are the same. You surely understand that?
Old 06-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #29
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
The key feature that any device aimed at use by the academic community has to have is the ability to have multiple documents open at once, and be able to rapidly flip between them. Anyone who's ever done any research knows that it's common to have half a dozen reference sources open at once, and be constantly flipping from one to the other.

The only device I've ever encountered which has provided this capability was the old iRex iLiad, which had a "tabbed" user interface. You could have multiple documents open at once, and flip between them by tapping the appropriate tab.

Any device which doesn't offer this ability is no use whatsoever for the academic/scientific reader.
It looks like the Onyx M92 now lets you do that :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211425
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #30
Pismire
Small God, also Turtle.
Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
...But as somebody mentioned who studied biology black and white IS a deal-breaker. I am pretty sure you can understand why.
But even I annotate in at least 2-3 colors on my tablet. I have better overview that way than with just one color. (it's usually 1 color for underline, 1 for written comments)

Well, not all fields of work are the same. You surely understand that?
Most journals print in black and white, and (as mentioned before) suggest to authors to include images that will still be recognizable in greyscale. Biological journals as well!

My question is not a rhetorical one - I am honestly interested where colour plays an important role. Marking text for example I would not have thought of...
Pismire is offline   Reply With Quote