Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Weird Overdrive message

We got our monthly batch on the 15th, so I checked out a few and put others on my wishlist. Well, yesterday, four of them were there, but with a red message like "This item no longer available" - anyone else seen this happen? No way they were Random House that had 26 checkouts in three days!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Strange. The only time I've had a similar message was when a book was pulled because there was a problem with the file (missing pages or something). I only know that because I really wanted to read the book so I sent an email asking if/when it would be available. They instructed me to put it back on hold so that when it was available I would be notified. (Was about three days, IIRC.)
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:00 AM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks -- I was able to put holds on those books!
Old 04-18-2011, 12:08 AM   #4
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Awesome! Hope you get them soon!
Old 04-18-2011, 12:34 AM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

I'm 8th of 8 on one of them - two copies @ 3 weeks max each - others should be fairly quick.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:42 AM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
About half a dozen books with that message in my Wishlist now. I haven't bothered to delete them, and now I'm thinking I should leave them. I assumed they were Random House books that had been ordered prior to April 1, then "cancelled" by the library because of the stupid 26-use limitation.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

I got the distinct impression that books already in the system on April 1st don't have that limitation, only "forthcoming" ones.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Don't you mean HarperCollins?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

I went back and checked, and these were all HC books - one after April 1st, and the others earlier, one was in the system long before their recent announcement.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Even if they didn't change the licensing on the existing HC titles, they may have had to update the book record or somesuch.

I'm still unclear on how the HC limitations work in practice. Not very well, apparently. It seems like a major pain for Overdrive and especially any librarians who have to deal with the fallout. I haven't been to my eLibrary since before all this, mostly because I have more books than I will ever read already. I only use it when I have a hankering for a book that would cost too much to buy.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

We wouldn't see it, but it was mentioned that the affected HC titles will be put in a separate folder/location, so that librarians cannot confuse them with "regular" ones. You may be right that if they just updated the system for this, a glitch caused the message to appear for all HC books in the system, period. In that case, I guess it'll be the future notice for those who have it on wishlists after the 26th checkout ("Sorry, you missed out!") - there won't be a listing in their library's catalog at all to go back and order from.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I also recieved several such messages when the new CPL books came out on the 5th. i deleted them, and a few days later, I tried again, and didn't get the message. If they are HC, I'm disappointed - I hoped CPL was boycotting.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #13
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Check the "date added to system" -- it's possible your library has added books that were in the system as of the announcement, with regular, unlimited loans - isn't it the 26'ers that should be avoided?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #14
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Don't you mean HarperCollins?

Yeah, yeah, yeah.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote