Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #31
silentfish
Onyx Boox User
silentfish began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Nate,
Appears the latest firmware extends battery life significantly, though crashes happened one or two times dozens of days.
silentfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #32
menelic
Enthusiast
menelic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T2
Onyx Note taking?

Hi silentfish,

could you share with us some details regarding the note taking feature - on which formats other than pdf is it possible? Do yo know if and how the notes (*.sketch files) can be exported from the Onyx and used on a PC? Thanks a lot!
menelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #33
Tigerlee
Tigerlee began at the beginning.

Device: Boox 60
Boox 60 and onyx website do not have a user manual

Hi Nate,

I read your forum posting and was so convinced about the Boox 60 that I actually bought 3 units from China shipped to me in Singapore. I will give 2 of them to my daughters.

But to my horror, there isn't a single manual in any of the three boxes I received. Neither could I find a copy in the Onyx website. Now I am at my wits end How am I going to use it in the first place? The minimum I must learn is to transfer some of the PDF and ePUB files I have onto the Boox 60.

Please help if you happened to have the manal. If not just tell me how to transfer the ebooks to the device. THANKS A MILLION.

ps. the Boox 60s do look good though
Tigerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:37 PM   #34
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlee View Post
Hi Nate,

I read your forum posting and was so convinced about the Boox 60 that I actually bought 3 units from China shipped to me in Singapore. I will give 2 of them to my daughters.

But to my horror, there isn't a single manual in any of the three boxes I received. Neither could I find a copy in the Onyx website. Now I am at my wits end How am I going to use it in the first place? The minimum I must learn is to transfer some of the PDF and ePUB files I have onto the Boox 60.

Please help if you happened to have the manal. If not just tell me how to transfer the ebooks to the device. THANKS A MILLION.

It is probably an e-manual on your device. That is how most of the readers are I think.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #35
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Hi Nate,

You can transfer the files over the USB cable. But before you do that you need to format the internal sstorage of the Boox. Go into the Settings menu, and select "format flash". Until you do this the Boox will not be recognized by your PC.

If you're planning to buy commercial ebooks, then you'll probably need to download and install Adobe DE on your PC. After you install and register DE, plug in the Boox and DE will recognize it as an ebook reader. You'll be able to transfer DRMed ebooks to the Boox.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 12:09 AM   #36
Tigerlee

Your Advice works !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
You can transfer the files over the USB cable. But before you do that you need to format the internal sstorage of the Boox. Go into the Settings menu, and select "format flash". Until you do this the Boox will not be recognized by your PC.

If you're planning to buy commercial ebooks, then you'll probably need to download and install Adobe DE on your PC. After you install and register DE, plug in the Boox and DE will recognize it as an ebook reader. You'll be able to transfer DRMed ebooks to the Boox.
Nate,

IT WORKS. Thanks for the very useful advice. ( I did go out and buy a SM card reader though).

Will try the Adobe DE as you have advised too.

BTW out of the three untis I bought, one cannot be powered off. I hit the switch and it went to a screen saver and got stucked there since last night my time. Now I have to figure out what to do with it.

Other than that. This Boox is all you have described and tested. A wonderful device. I especially like the PDF reader.

(They should ask you to write the maunual for them I still can't find one ! )
Old 11-13-2009, 12:13 AM   #37
Tigerlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
It is probably an e-manual on your device. That is how most of the readers are I think.
Cleverclothe,

No, they don't put it there

Thanks for taking interest in my problem. I followed Nate's advice on formatting the flash memory and now it is recognised by my PC and I can transfer my ebooks onto Boox. That is the most important

The rest I will figure out as I get to play with it.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:33 AM   #38
silentfish
Onyx Boox User

AFAIK, the .sketch files are in fact sqlite database files, you can copy a .sketch and use any sqlite viewer to look into its content.

Currently the schema is as follows:

Each .sketch(for PDF, I didn't try other formats) contains two tables:
annotation:
CREATE TABLE annotation (id integer primary key, page_position integer,data blob)
sketch
CREATE TABLE sketch (id integer primary key, page_id text,data blob)

So basically yes it's possible to import those meta data to PC and convert them to PC software compatible format.

Maybe we should contact Onyx to see if they can release such an import tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by menelic View Post
Hi silentfish,

could you share with us some details regarding the note taking feature - on which formats other than pdf is it possible? Do yo know if and how the notes (*.sketch files) can be exported from the Onyx and used on a PC? Thanks a lot!
Old 11-13-2009, 01:48 AM   #39
silentfish
Onyx Boox User

Quote:
Originally Posted by menelic View Post
Hi silentfish,

The .sketch files are in fact sqlite database files, I took a look at a .sketch files for PDF, it has two data tables "annotation" and "sketch", contains binary data for annotations and sketches respectively.

So basically yes it is possible to import the .sketch files to PC software as long as there're compatible couterparts in PC software and the ebook format(for PDF annotation should be OK but I'm not sure about the freehand sketch).

Maybe we should ask if Onyx could release such a tool.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:26 AM   #40
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nate,

IT WORKS. Thanks for the very useful advice. ( I did go out and buy a SM card reader though).

Will try the Adobe DE as you have advised too.

BTW out of the three untis I bought, one cannot be powered off. I hit the switch and it went to a screen saver and got stucked there since last night my time. Now I have to figure out what to do with it.

Other than that. This Boox is all you have described and tested. A wonderful device. I especially like the PDF reader.

(They should ask you to write the maunual for them I still can't find one ! )
There is a bug in the first firmware, and that's why the unit is frozen in standby. You'll need to update the firmware to the latest one. The firmware and instructions can be found on the Onyx website.

You'll need to reset the frozen one before you can install the update, and that involves taking off the back cover. First remove the stylus. Then lay the unit screen down. The white plastic back slides up off the device.

At this point I want you to try the reset button and see if that fixes the problem. It was uncovered when you removed the plastic back. There is a recessed circle . You'll need a screwdriver.

The metal back is attached by 2 tiny screws. After you remove them, the back slides down. Unplug and plug in the battery.

You're done. Reattach the covers.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:04 AM   #41
Tigerlee

Quote:
There is a bug in the first firmware, and that's why the unit is frozen in standby. You'll need to update the firmware to the latest one. The firmware and instructions can be found on the Onyx website.

You'll need to reset the frozen one before you can install the update, and that involves taking off the back cover. First remove the stylus. Then lay the unit screen down. The white plastic back slides up off the device.

At this point I want you to try the reset button and see if that fixes the problem. It was uncovered when you removed the plastic back. There is a recessed circle . You'll need a screwdriver.

The metal back is attached by 2 tiny screws. After you remove them, the back slides down. Unplug and plug in the battery.

You're done. Reattach the covers.
Nate,

This is really great. I didn't have to unscrew the metal cover. Just hit the reset below the top white cover and it WORKS !!!!!

THANKS once again. YOU are a GREAT HELP !!!

By the way, the firmware that came pre-installed is the latest (version 1.1.20091026) I guess we users have to wait for the next release.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #42
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I have a picture of the back off showing the reset button. just take the pen out and then slide the plastic open

I have the manual in my other computer Ill get it in a little bit and post it.

It was on their site but they have changed their site (4th time in 4 months it feels like) and havent reposted it yet.

I really like the White leather cover. I havent seen the other one do you have apicture Nate?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	code 1.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	39108  
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #43
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
By the way, the firmware that came pre-installed is the latest (version 1.1.20091026) I guess we users have to wait for the next release.
You probably don't have the same bug, then.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:10 AM   #44
Tigerlee

Quote:
You probably don't have the same bug, then.
I think I know what caused the hang. Tried it again and the screen frozen and had to reset again.

It happened when I used the wifi and surfed the web. I was in wikipedia and then decided to power off. The screen went into screensaver and then hung.

Resetted the boox and ths time made sure I didn't try to power off when I was in the browser mode. I got out to the home screen then powered off. No problem.

I will pose this to onyx and hopefully they will fix it in the next firmware release.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:11 AM   #45
Tigerlee

Dulin's Book,

Thanks for willing to share the manual and showing the picture of the back. I have the problem fixed, or rather, bypassed as of now.

Tags
boox, onyx