Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #31
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
How do you download WMA audiobooks on a Mac?
You bootcamp Windows.

I haven't seen a WMA file since 2005!
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
You bootcamp Windows.

I haven't seen a WMA file since 2005!
Thanks

I use WMA files on an almost daily basis.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #33
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
I love my Chromebook. I use it for 98% of all of the laptop related tasks that I need to do. For the other 2% I grab my Ubuntu laptop.

I pretty much use nothing but my Nexus 7 during the daytime. And then the Chromebook for things the Nexus ain't great at (like typing). And THEN go for my laptop.

All of these devices would literally be useless to me without internet access of the nearly always on variety.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:04 AM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
All of these devices would literally be useless to me without internet access of the nearly always on variety.
That's pretty much me. Computers are totally useless without the internet.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:12 AM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

I'd love to get a Chromebook to replace my Windows machine, but lack of OverDrive and WMA support is a deal breaker for me.
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 12:27 AM   #36
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Chromebook has shortcomings like with offline printing, and some programs that don't have offline capability, but security is no more a problem than with any other computer.

This worry about Google peeking at your files as has been discussed in this thread is way overblown.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:48 AM   #37
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Chromebook has shortcomings like with offline printing
In practice I've never been inconvenienced by this. It would affect people who regularly have to print at a location that has no or intermittent internet access, so Chromebook buyers should definitely be made aware of the problem.

However, if you only tend to print from your laptop when you're at home or work, and those printers are connected to a reasonably solid internet connection then you'll rarely, if ever, be in a situation where you have to print a document and can't.

The issue with printing that will affect most Chromebook owners is having to either purchase a printer with Cloud Print functionality, or to have to boot up a Windows, Mac or Linux machine temporarily to make the existing printers available to the ChromeOS devices.

(For hobbyists, a Raspberry Pi makes a handy cheap print server that you can leave always on.)

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #38
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
This worry about Google peeking at your files as has been discussed in this thread is way overblown.
Something slippery, large and porous tells me that many of the posts discussing that aspect of Chrome were not entirely serious. At least one poster mentioned being mentally unbalanced and in the throes of a pathological fear of open internet spaces.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #39
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
I'd love to get a Chromebook to replace my Windows machine, but lack of OverDrive and WMA support is a deal breaker for me.
And you can't run Calibre on it, right? We have a Chromebook that's great for internet. But not for the programs I use on a daily basis, Kindle4PC, Calibre, Sigil, Q-Dir file manager, Adobe Digital Editions.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
And you can't run Calibre on it, right? We have a Chromebook that's great for internet. But not for the programs I use on a daily basis, Kindle4PC, Calibre, Sigil, Q-Dir file manager, Adobe Digital Editions.
It's not a very book friendly platform. I sure wish otherwise.

For ebooks, I can completely bypass a computer. Unfortunately, I can't do the same for audioibooks. For that, I need a Windows PC with OverDrive to get them to my Sansa Clip and iPod touch.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #41
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
This part from the Google Privacy Policy in particular is way overblown, or something else? It's all about the same...
  • Quote:
    Local storage
    We may collect and store information (including personal information) locally on your device, using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches.
I'm not worried about Google in particular, except that they are the best corporation in the world at collecting, mining, and processing personal information to use and sell. My mobile carrier, national government, grocery store, etc etc are all in the queue of collecting, using, and selling information about me.

I see no technical reason why individuals cannot have technology available that protects their privacy and security, except there is not currently sufficient incentive for companies to offer it.

That information has obvious value to many. I think if individuals don't mind making parts of it available, they are the ones who should get paid for it first. In other words, individuals control it, not other entities.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #42
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
It's not a very book friendly platform. I sure wish otherwise.

For ebooks, I can completely bypass a computer. Unfortunately, I can't do the same for audioibooks. For that, I need a Windows PC with OverDrive to get them to my Sansa Clip and iPod touch.
To be precise, it's not a very eReader friendly platform. As noted above, I can buy Kindle and AdobeDRM books on the Chromebook and read them there. What we can't do is use the Chromebook to register those DRM-protected files and sideload them to an eReader.

(If your preferred reading device is a wireless-enabled Kindle, Android phone or tablet, though, you could buy your books via the Chromebook and they'd be delivered automatically to the reading device.)

We also don't have a great way to manage non-DRM protected ebooks, as we can't run Calibre on a Chromebook without dual-booting to a Linux environment, but we can use Google Drive or the local file manager to organise the files and sideload using USB to the eReader.

As you say, though, we're currently stuffed for audiobooks via Overdrive. That's at least partly due to the proprietary nature of WMA. By the same token, Microsoft seem to be in no hurry to release a version of Skype that will run on ChromeOS.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 11-13-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #43
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Therefore Aliens!

Oh wait, wrong discussion.....therefore we must get rid of DRM!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #44
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Therefore Aliens!

Oh wait, wrong discussion.....therefore we must get rid of DRM!
Klaatu barada wmadrm
Old 11-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #45
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Of course the pundits are slamming the ChromeBook; the status quo is being threatened. With the ability to get online now for under $300, of course some big companies are getting antsy!

My local library has a stack ouf ChromeBooks they lend out for 2 hours at a time for accessing their catalogues, checking email and web browsing. They like the fact they are easy to maintain, worry free, portable, reliable and inexpensive.

I recently bought my mom a ChromeBook for her 87th birthday. She uses it to check her email, video conference with family, and surf the web for fun. She knows that she can't hurt it and that if she gets stuck on something she can just re-boot it and start over.

As I see it, the ChromeBook is not intended to be a computer or compete with computers. It's in an entirely new category. It provides valuable functionality at a low price and it's finding a growing market among people who are looking for exactly this.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote