Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-14-2017, 04:49 AM   #26581
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
My understanding is that the extra material in The Forever War is from about 1995. I'm pretty sure it was already in the version I first read.

I had to look it up on wikipedia last week, so I could refresh my memory prior to heading into Forever Free, which is what I'm reading now. It seems fine, although it doesn't have the impact of FW, and doesn't so far feel like it needs to be a sequel to that book.
Well, that went weird, fast.

It was OK, I guess, but completely unnecessary.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:08 PM   #26582
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Murder on the Orient Express and it was a typically great Agatha Chistie read. Haven’t seen the movie yet but I doubt it will be as good as the book.

Next up, Artemis by Andy Weir.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #26583
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
My understanding is that the extra material in The Forever War is from about 1995. I'm pretty sure it was already in the version I first read.

I had to look it up on wikipedia last week, so I could refresh my memory prior to heading into Forever Free, which is what I'm reading now. It seems fine, although it doesn't have the impact of FW, and doesn't so far feel like it needs to be a sequel to that book.
It was written in 1971 as part of the original novel (which was his thesis for his MFA). It was edited out when it was published in paperback and was later restored in the 90s.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:56 PM   #26584
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Just finished Murder on the Orient Express and it was a typically great Agatha Chistie read. Haven’t seen the movie yet but I doubt it will be as good as the book.

Next up, Artemis by Andy Weir.
Funny thing is, I tend to find I much prefer most Agatha Christie's as movie/TV adaptations. I've tried reading some of the books, and they just never quite gel for me. But a good dramatization brings the story alive. (This is NOT something I usually have problems with when reading, but somehow Christie just doesn't hit it for me.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #26585
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Funny thing is, I tend to find I much prefer most Agatha Christie's as movie/TV adaptations. I've tried reading some of the books, and they just never quite gel for me. But a good dramatization brings the story alive. (This is NOT something I usually have problems with when reading, but somehow Christie just doesn't hit it for me.)
This echoes my experience. Years ago the BBC did some wonderful adaptations of the Miss Marple books which I enjoyed very much. But awhile ago I bought a 3-book bundle of Miss Marple books and after slogging through 2/3 of the first book I found I didn't like anyone in it, including Miss Marple, and stopped reading.

Jim
Strether is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2017, 03:45 PM   #26586
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I started Richard Lloyd Parry's Ghosts of the Tsunami: Death and Life in Japan’s Disaster Zone. I found myself devouring it. Last year, Where the Dead Pause, and the Japanese Say Goodbye: A Journey was in my top ten of the year, and I think this will be as well. Mockett's book focused more on Shinto and Zen priests and their work, but both are stunning accounts of how the Japanese people grieve.
Finished this today with my morning coffee. Definitely a five star read for me. Will certainly be in my top ten.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:47 AM   #26587
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore.

Very interesting, and kinda scary and depressing... these poor women were killed in the worst way, and I fear that corporate America is not much better now than they were then, EPA, OSHA, etc. notwithstanding.

Halfway through the fifth HP book on audio... wish my car stereo did a better job of arranging the files on my USB... I have to shuffle around looking for the next chapter to listen to.

Will likely start reading the next Foreigner book on my list... getting to the end.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:59 PM   #26588
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
I finished The Dancing Bear, which was a unique perspective of life in Berlin between 1946 and 1953. I rated it four stars, and highly recommend if you've not read anything about life in Germany after the surrender.

Here is a spoiler-free link to my review on Goodreads.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #26589
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I have about 100 pages left (out of almost 1000) in Peter F. Hamilton's Great North Road. It is a great read and I highly recommend it.

Next up is the start of Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle with The Warded Man.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:22 AM   #26590
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Next, I have bought today the recently published thriller Origin by Dan Brown. I hope it will bring me back to the world of fiction.
Just finished Origin by Dan Brown. Excellent thriller. A familiar swirl of big ideas and action packed drama. The science is accurate and comprehensible and the information on the historic buildings featured are fascinating.

Next up, Murder In A Minute by Shouvik Bhattacharya, another thriller.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:27 AM   #26591
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
This echoes my experience. Years ago the BBC did some wonderful adaptations of the Miss Marple books which I enjoyed very much. But awhile ago I bought a 3-book bundle of Miss Marple books and after slogging through 2/3 of the first book I found I didn't like anyone in it, including Miss Marple, and stopped reading.

Jim
I had the reverse experience with Lake Wobegon Days by Garrison Keillor. I enjoyed his show A Prairie Home Companion and so I borrowed the above book from my local Library. Yet as a book I just couldn't get into it. I think it is because it's not just the words but how he speaks them that carries the story.

Returning to the topic, as far as what I'm reading I'm going to start re-reading Ever After High - The Storybook Of Legends by Shannon Hale followed by the entire Ever After High book series. I've enjoyed the YouTube videos of Ever After High and enjoyed the the above book too.

In addition, I'm also going to read the manga Afterschool Charisma by Kumiko Suekane about an unusual school. What makes the school unusual is that, with one exception, the entire student body consists of teenaged clones of famous historical figures (including Albert Einstein, Marie Curie, Elizabeth II, Florence Nightingale, and Napoleon Bonaparte). The one exception is the son of the school's headmaster.

Last edited by Solitaire1; 11-17-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:55 PM   #26592
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I had the reverse experience with Lake Wobegon Days by Garrison Keillor. I enjoyed his show A Prairie Home Companion and so I borrowed the above book from my local Library. Yet as a book I just couldn't get into it. I think it is because it's not just the words but how he speaks them that carries the story.
Maybe you should try the audio version narrated by Keillor.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:15 AM   #26593
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Finished Ramses the Damned with kind of a meh reaction and moving on to a little Fantasy, A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab. Second in a series.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #26594
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Krondor: The Betrayal by Raymond E. Feist. Bought ages ago, and about time I read it. I like this series, even if these are fill-in novels.
Well, that was fun visiting characters and the world again. Since it's a fill-in, nothing (figuratively or literally) earth-shattering could happen, but it was a fun read.

Then I read the latest Penric & Desdemona novella, The Prisoner of Limnos. Wonderful, as expected.

And I also read The Prestige by Christopher Priest, which was much better than the film, although I also enjoyed the film.

And now it's time for Grantville Gazette #74
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:16 AM   #26595
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Postponed reading Murder In A Minute by Shouvik Bhattacharya for now. Instead, gave a quick reading to Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Chistie. I had read this book ages ago and I plan to watch the recently released movie. So inspired with the ongoing discussions here, it was a good decision to refresh the plot again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
I agree with you, MickeyC. I always doubt on a film adaptation of a novel you love meet your expectations.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote