Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > Spring Design Alex

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 04:34 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Update available

My Alex just tried to update.
It did fail (damaged bin), but I'll try again right ahead.

EDIT: Update did work now. Don't see any difference so far.

EDIT2 : Okay, at least one change: New user guide, ePUB instead of PDF, way crisper/darker font in the user guide.

EDIT3 : They've added Twitter-ability.

EDIT4 : Font sizes for PDFs. Finally!!!!

Last edited by mgmueller; 05-14-2010 at 05:56 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I just got home and turned my wifi on. I wonder how long it will take for them to push it down. I can't see anything in the Settings that will let me pull it myself.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
I just got home and turned my wifi on. I wonder how long it will take for them to push it down. I can't see anything in the Settings that will let me pull it myself.
You can manually set the date 1 day ahead, then back. This should trigger it.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool beans. I'll be trying that shortly.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Cool beans. I'll be trying that shortly.
Should be working. The manual states, it only checks once per day (and the first try did fail for me because of damaged file). Well, then we have to simulate a new day... You may have to restart between setting the dates back and forth. I did so, but maybe it's doing without as well.
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
My Alex just tried to update.
It did fail (damaged bin), but I'll try again right ahead.

EDIT: Update did work now. Don't see any difference so far.

EDIT2 : Okay, at least one change: New user guide, ePUB instead of PDF, way crisper/darker font in the user guide.

EDIT3 : They've added Twitter-ability.

EDIT4 : Font sizes for PDFs. Finally!!!!
Do you mean that it reflows PDFs now?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Do you mean that it reflows PDFs now?
No. The layout remains intact. But by changing the font size, you kind of zoom in (*). Actually, that's what I prefer for PDFs. Sony 505 did this before, but with the firmware update for ePUB they've switched to reflow.
Usually, I don't read Stephen King or John Katzenbach in PDFs. Often it's "professional" documents with tables, formulas, paragraphs, ... where I prefer the original layout.
Alex really grows on me. I was quite disappointed about the lacking PDF support, especially as it wasn't mentioned in the various reviews (or maybe I've overread in my enthusiasm for getting a new gadget). But now....cool...

(*) Of course this means bigger margins for smaller font sizes.

2 Pictures: Font sizes "normal" and "huge"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00216.JPG
Views:	801
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	51577   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00217.JPG
Views:	800
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	51578  

Last edited by mgmueller; 05-14-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek

No luck with the date change, but I didn't try the restart last time. I'm now waiting on firmware updates to both my Alex and my Kindle!
Old 05-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
No luck with the date change, but I didn't try the restart last time. I'm now waiting on firmware updates to both my Alex and my Kindle!
Maybe you're better of without the update. Dictionary support is gone. The icon isn't there anymore...

Last edited by mgmueller; 05-14-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #10
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek

Ok, I like the dictionary so I won't be too upset if I don't get this upgrade.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Ok, I like the dictionary so I won't be too upset if I don't get this upgrade.
Could you please check, whether you've got any application "dictionary" (in settings)? I haven't got anything like that, but I'm not sure whether it has been there before the update.
I've just mailed Spring Design about it...

Problem is: I can't revert it.
When resetting, the update gets re-installed, directly in the first instance, not in a second session. On one hand, that's very advanced and convenient. On the other hand this means, I can't go back (as long as Spring Design doesn't make the former firmware available for manual installation).

Last edited by mgmueller; 05-14-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek

I've got something under "Manage Applications" called com.android.provider.userdictionary and under the "Text" menu I've got "User Dictionary" although I haven't added any words to it. When the lcd is active in Reader I've still got the ABC icon that brings the regular dictionary up.

Last edited by NNolan; 05-14-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:35 AM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired

Dictionary missing

Spring Design's support:
"Yes. We removed the Dictionary temparorily because Alex didn't have enough space to store system firmware in the current flash partition. And we can't update the partition this time. So we are going to update the partition next update and will use Android 1.6 with Dictionary support.

We resolved many bugs at this update. Some big updates are listed as follows:
1. Fixed the system hang bug.
2. Enabled to transfer DRM books from Adobe Digital Edition (PC) to Alex.
3. Enabled Font size for PDF books.
4. Revised User Manual to use ePub format,which is good for reading."
Old 05-15-2010, 07:34 AM   #14
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek

I forgot and left my WiFi on overnight, but no upgrade. I hope they make the updates available for download on their website at some point.

I was going to try loading ADE onto my netbook today to see if I could get library books onto my Alex because it doesn't work right now on my MacBook. I also can't load library books onto my Sony 300 through ADE on the MacBook, and according to some old posts at Teleread the workarounds for the Sony are to authorize the reader through a PC version of ADE, or to use the Sony Reader software to download the library books instead of ADE. I was hoping I could use Windows ADE to solve the Alex problem, but I guess not until I finally get the download.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #15
kejia
Enthusiast
kejia began at the beginning.

Device: alex ereader
clarification needed for already clear instructions :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
You can manually set the date 1 day ahead, then back. This should trigger it.
Sorry to be so obtuse, but do you set day 1 day ahead, then 1 day back, and wait for update?

Also, if the LCD goes into sleep mode, with wifi on, do you know if wifi is still running in background? Will it wake Alex up to get the update?

Thanks!
kejia is offline   Reply With Quote