Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-10-2023, 12:18 AM   #46
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBDigital View Post
SUCCESS!
It was a LONG road but I finally got to the end and got the darn thing registered.
Congratulations! Persistence paid off — even though you had to use the end around route. I can't believe support couldn't fix this in your original account.

Last edited by rcentros; 03-10-2023 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Left out "had to" in the original
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 01:58 PM   #47
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Quote:
Yes I meant DATE not time. I have it set right. Shortly after this all began I read up on the possible issues, and this one I believe was listed on Amazon as things to check/do. This one does have a date menu/selection in the settings.

Of course. And I heard back from the previous owner, it was deregistered. So that is not the issue.

I talked with a relative today who doesn't have an Amazon account and was willing for me to use them to create one and see if I could register then. I did the process on the Kindle itself and things went well at the start. I put in the email address and new password, got the OTP in email which the system took without issue. Then it had a captcha (type the letters in the picture above) which I also did without issue.

THEN it asked for a mobile phone number and no way to skip or bypass it. Apparently you can't create an Amazon account without one now? That is odd and a real shame because some people don't have one. The relative in question doesn't and even if they did, I wouldn't want to put in their number just for this. Especially since from what I have read, people have been unable to get it removed. Edit yes, remove nope. Or I should say some still couldn't even though they turned off 2nd factor. Others could. It is odd how for some people certain aspects work (such as email OTP codes) and others they don't.

I might have some time tomorrow to give Amazon support another shot.
I don't think you would have had any issues setting up another account in your name, middle name or whatever name so long as you weren't already banned. You don't really even have to provide a credit card to create an account and it is easy to remove it if you did. Phone number, another story. Can't remove that but in all honesty I don't get any calls from them and two step verification can be an asset. There are limitations on having two seller accounts requiring a real need for such but personal accounts you can have more than one provided you haven't been banned and are making a new account to get around that ban. Glad you got it to work. I do wish they didn't take away that register online feature.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2023, 02:18 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Congratulations! Persistence paid off — even though you use the end around route. I can't believe support couldn't fix this in your original account.
Support was useless in my case. I finally got directions from someone who did it and it worked.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 08:19 PM   #49
DBDigital
Connoisseur
DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Congratulations! Persistence paid off — even though you use the end around route. I can't believe support couldn't fix this in your original account.
Thanks! And I agree! I am sure they *could* but they *didn't* instead tried to send me to places on the website that don't exist anymore.

Perhaps if I demanded escalation to someone that actually knew something and had the authority to edit account data, I might have got help. But it is difficult to get past the bot, let alone the trained monkeys with their scripts. Hmm, perhaps I should have tried offering a large bunch of bananas ...
DBDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 09:34 PM   #50
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Support was useless in my case. I finally got directions from someone who did it and it worked.
I understand. But they shouldn't be useless. And, at one time, they weren't.
Advert
Old 03-10-2023, 09:40 PM   #51
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Thanks! And I agree! I am sure they *could* but they *didn't* instead tried to send me to places on the website that don't exist anymore.

Perhaps if I demanded escalation to someone that actually knew something and had the authority to edit account data, I might have got help. But it is difficult to get past the bot, let alone the trained monkeys with their scripts. Hmm, perhaps I should have tried offering a large bunch of bananas ...
maybe bananas would have helped. You probably could have (eventually) found someone but how much of your time is it worth beating your head against a brick wall? It's obviously some kind of glitch in the database but apparently they don't give customer support access to the database. (I'm only guessing, I don't know for certain but somewhere registration is turned off for your account.) I didn't know (until this thread) that you could start a new account and share your books on it. I'll have to remember that if this ever happens to me.
Old 03-10-2023, 10:15 PM   #52
DBDigital
Connoisseur
DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
maybe bananas would have helped. You probably could have (eventually) found someone but how much of your time is it worth beating your head against a brick wall? It's obviously some kind of glitch in the database but apparently they don't give customer support access to the database. (I'm only guessing, I don't know for certain but somewhere registration is turned off for your account.) I didn't know (until this thread) that you could start a new account and share your books on it. I'll have to remember that if this ever happens to me.
Yes that is why I didn't try it again. I probably could have got someone if I tried long enough, but I suspect that would have been multiple hours. I tried everything else first. Not sure I would even have been able to find the time to beat my head against their brick wall long enough.

One interesting thing I didn't mention before, after my first chat with a Amazon rep (and I left the chat after no response for over 20 minutes), they have a pop up with "did we solve your problem?" and ratings for the rep. Well I flagged it as NO and the rep was nice but ended up stopped responding and directed me to areas of the website that no longer exist. A few hours later I got an email from Amazon with the Reps name saying they were sorry the problem wasn't solved, how Amazon is customer centered, do not want to lose a wonderful customer like myself, and had escalated my case. But I never heard anything more. I think it was a automated response and nothing actually happened.

In all honesty, I am sure it is a simple fix, a conflict somewhere. The problem was I couldn't get access to someone who could DO it. And I do not seem to be alone in that regard.
Old 03-11-2023, 11:31 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I understand. But they shouldn't be useless. And, at one time, they weren't.
There also used to be a way to register a Kindle using the Kindle's serial number and your web browser.
Old 03-11-2023, 11:51 AM   #54
DBDigital
Connoisseur

Quote:
There also used to be a way to register a Kindle using the Kindle's serial number and your web browser.
Yep. And THAT is what the Amazon rep kept trying to direct me to, which Amazon removed over a year ago. Sad they still haven't updated their reps scripts in over a year for this. Makes you wonder what else they are out of date for. I suspect a lot, and a good reason support is now more than useless. Well that, and they keep putting up barriers such as bots which makes it hard to even GET to a trained monkey in the first place.

Last edited by DBDigital; 03-11-2023 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-11-2023, 01:03 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yep. And THAT is what the Amazon rep kept trying to direct me to, which Amazon removed over a year ago. Sad they still haven't updated their reps scripts in over a year for this. Makes you wonder what else they are out of date for. I suspect a lot, and a good reason support is now more than useless. Well that, and they keep putting up barriers such as bots which makes it hard to even GET to a trained monkey in the first place.
I was directed to the code page to enter the code. That was a failure. That's where you go to enter a code you go for a Firestick but not a OTP code.
Old 03-11-2023, 01:12 PM   #56
DBDigital
Connoisseur

Quote:
I was directed to the code page to enter the code. That was a failure. That's where you go to enter a code you go for a Firestick but not a OTP code.
Oh wow, that is even worse than the 'support' I was given. At least they were trying to direct me to a kindle page. Albeit one that doesn't exist anymore.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:17 PM   #57
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Reading through this thread made me so glad I jumped ship and bought a Kobo the last time I wanted a new ereader.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote