Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #16
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanspeck View Post
Perhaps in the future I could format the thing for specific readers, though that's quite a bit of work for me at the moment.
How did you create the original locked pdf?
If you have the book in some word processor format, then it should be a matter of 10 minutes work to change:
- page size to 90x120mm
- margin size to 2mm
- font size to something reasonable
and print the thing into a new pdf file

I can help you if you wish, just send me a private message.

Locked pdf did not prevent me from extracting the text (and I will read the book on my e-ink reader as soon as I finish the book I am reading at this moment), and it will definitely not prevent a determined "pirate". It will, however discourage your not-technically-inclined potential reader from loading it onto his / her e-ink reader.

I have simply fed the pdf to the Readiris OCR program that was bundled to the cheap scanner/copier/printer/fax combo from HP I got at work.
This way I do not even need to care about the broken paragraph lines you get by copy & paste from acrobat (or text export from GSview, in case of locked pdf files)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #17
ryanspeck
Author of stuff
ryanspeck began at the beginning.

Device: none
Okay, okay... I'll try to get to it sometime soon.

By "quite a bit of work", I meant "I'm too lazy to even look at that damned book again". If it's just a matter of page size, I should be able to do that for you.

I'm tempted to make a joke here about how my book isn't available in millimetres, only in inches.
ryanspeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert