Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 11-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
It does give me an idea. Would you be averse to adding an option to the book list to show the covers on the right instead of the left? If its a lot of effort, don't worry about it.
That could be done, perhaps without lots of work. However, I am going to wait a bit to see what happens with the Japanese translation, to see if other stuff needs adjustment due to RtL language issues.

Question: if the cover moved to the right, where would the read check mark go? To the left? To the right of the cover? To the left of the cover?

Is this another "leftie" thing? I am not trying to be snarky, but am genuinely curious.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Question: if the cover moved to the right, where would the read check mark go? To the left? To the right of the cover? To the left of the cover?
I would say to the right of all the book information, but to the left of the cover.

This also gives me another idea. What would you think about showing the read checkmark in cover view? You could put it in the corner of the cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Is this another "leftie" thing? I am not trying to be snarky, but am genuinely curious.
In a year of communication, I don't think you have been snarky even once, and yes, it is a lefty thing.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
This also gives me another idea. What would you think about showing the read checkmark in cover view? You could put it in the corner of the cover.
There are two issues here. The first is that the mark would need to float over the cover, which has some performance implications. The second is that the mark would occlude part of the cover (perhaps a lot of it depending on its size), which isn't a good thing.

I have considered trying different backgrounds or putting borders around the cover, but these both have problems with potential visibility. The same thing is true if I put a smaller icon; it would need a border to be sure that it wasn't lost in the colors of the cover, making it larger.

Another thing I have considered it to extend the grid vertically and put the check icon (or something like an under-bar) outside the cover. The problem here is that there would be fewer covers.

There are times where I wish touch devices had the notion of float-over.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
kaufman
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What if you left the cover alone, but put the check mark over the shelf underneath the cover. Then you wouldn't have issues with cover colors.

I did a mock up. The checks are the exact same size as they are on the book list.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I took a look at adding the checkmarks as you suggested and it wasn't too hard. I haven't yet looked at moving the covers to the right, but I will.

One possible problem: the check box extends a bit up into the cover because I have only half the divider to use for a given book. What do you think? I rather like it because it makes it clear which book is involved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	131512  
Advert
Old 11-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
kaufman

I like your way a lot better for the reason you state. It makes it obvious as to which book is involved.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

OK. I will put this out for beta after I work out how to move the cover in list view. That should be this week sometime, unless other people chime in with suggestions that require rethinking something.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:59 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

@kaufman: Is this what you had in mind for moving the cover image?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	131643  
Old 11-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
kaufman

Exactly. It look great.