Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Free/Bargain Christian Interest, June 2014

We point out free and bargain Christian titles to each other. Please only post self-published books if you personally recommend them, and please do a search before posting to avoid duplicates.

Be aware that many freebies are only free for a day, so grab them fast!

Five Things Every Christian Needs to Grow by R. C. Sproul is free at Ligonier Ministries as a DRM-free epub and at Amazon.

A Farewell to Mars: An Evangelical Pastor's Journey Toward the Biblical Gospel of Peace by Brian Zahnd is free from David C. Cook
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Introducing the New Testament by Joe Blair and published by B&H Academic is $.99 at B&N and Amazon. It's $18.59 at Kobo.
Advert
Old 06-04-2014, 04:10 AM   #3
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Big Markdown on Kindle Book on Raising Sons

With Fathers' Day approaching, we are seeing price drops on a lot of books about fathers and their children.

I'm posting this ebook in the "Christian Interest" thread, instead of the "Non-fiction" thread, because of its references to, and reliance on, Biblical principles and passages.

Book Description
The Two-Minute Drill to Manhood: A Proven Game Plan for Raising Sons. By John Croyle. Rated 5 stars, from 12 reviews at the present moment. Print list price $14.99; Kindle price now $0.99. http://www.amazon.com/Two-Minute-Dri...r+Raising+Sons.

If you are the parent of a teenager, you are coming down to what former All-American and one of today's most respected child advocates John Croyle calls the two-minute drill. In football the last two minutes are crucial; the whole game builds to those moments that can determine the final outcome.

The Two-Minute Drill to Manhood is John's game plan that will help moms and dads make sure their sons are ready for authentic manhood. Based on Croyle's life and experience parenting more than 1,800 troubled, abused, and neglected children on the Big Oak Ranch for Boys and Girls, as well as parenting his two biological children, he drills down into seven actionable life principles drawn from the word "manhood" itself:

M – Master
A – Ask and Listen
N – Never Compromise
H – Handle Responsibility
O – One Purpose
O – One Body
D – Don’t Ever, Ever, Ever Give Up

Editorial Reviews [Abridged]
“Since 2007, my wife and I have been supporting the children of Big Oak Ranch through Nick's Kids Fund. We believe that this proven game plan for raising sons will help us all be better parents. We encourage you to add this book to your reading list … it works!”
Nick Saban
Head Football Coach, The University of Alabama

“I have met many of the children at Big Oak Ranch and this game plan for raising sons really works. This book,
The-Two Minute Drill to Manhood, will help all of us be better parents as we strive to build our sons into great men.”
Bo Jackson
Heisman Trophy winner 1985 and former NFL and MLB Legend

"Having been personally involved with Big Oak Ranch for nearly 30 years, I have seen first-hand the fruit of changed lives of young people who live there. This
Two-Minute Drill to Manhood is a must-read for every parent raising a son."
Bobby Allison
NASCAR Hall of Fame Inductee

“There is no doubt that one of the biggest voids in today’s culture is the lack of a Godly influence in the family as parents raise their sons. The
Two-Minute Drill to Manhood by John Croyle addresses this issue in a very practical way. A must-read for all Moms and Dads.”
Tommy Bowden
ESPN Analyst and college football coach for 32 years

About the Author
John Croyle rose to recognition as an All-American defensive end at the University of Alabama during head coach Paul "Bear" Bryant's legendary tenure. Faced with the decision to play professional football or to start a home for abused and neglected children, John established Big Oak Boys' Ranch in 1974. Today the outreach has grown to three branches with the addition of a girls ranch and a Christian school. John, his wife Tee, and the Big Oak organization have raised more than 1,800 kids to date.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-04-2014 at 07:30 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:24 AM   #4
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kiss Me Like You Mean It--Free Kindle Today Only

This is free today (Wednesday, June 4) only. Git it wile da gittin' is goot.

Kiss Me Like You Mean It: Solomon's Crazy in Love How-To Manual. Rated 4 1/2 stars, from 38 reviews at the present moment. Print list price $14.99; digital list price $14.99; Kindle price now $0.00. Kiss Me Like You Mean It: Solomon's Crazy in Love How-To Manualhttp://www.amazon.com/Kiss-Like-You-...+How-To+Manual.

Many couples find themselves at a point where they need a passion boost. How can husbands and wives break through the many obstacles and issues that have derailed their desire and get back on track to being the crazy-in-love couple they once were?

Solomon had a few secrets up his ancient sleeves, and marriage therapist Dr. David Clarke helps readers learn why the passionate exchanges and God-inspired, 3,000-year-old techniques of Solomon and Shulamith worked then--and still work today. Readers will learn how to troubleshoot problems and conflicts, put each other first, employ praise, have fun, flirt, be more playful and sensual, and rediscover the lost art of a great kiss.

Every married couple can experience exhilarating passion; Dr. Clarke and the Song of Solomon reveal how!
Old 06-04-2014, 11:33 AM   #5
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

Zondervan just sent me an email with twenty-five books on sale for $3.99. Click on "Learn More/Buy Now" under each book to get links to retailers.
Advert
Old 06-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #6
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

The Christianbook daily deals usually aren't to my taste, but two of today's look interesting. Both are collections of essays from Crossway and are marked down to $1.59.

Understanding the Big Picture of the Bible: A Guide to Reading the Bible Well Link

Translating Truth: The Case for Essentially Literal Bible Translation Link
Old 06-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
The Christianbook daily deals usually aren't to my taste, but two of today's look interesting. Both are collections of essays from Crossway and are marked down to $1.59.

Understanding the Big Picture of the Bible: A Guide to Reading the Bible Well Link

Translating Truth: The Case for Essentially Literal Bible Translation Link
Yeah, I'm the same way about most of the titles of the daily deals. It seems like the great majority are fiction.

I'm surprised that you weren't interested in the third title, one by D.A. Carson.

I am directing the following comments to other Mobilereaders who might be interested. Concerning the Christianbook daily deals . . . . Frequently they have some fantastic markdowns, but for one day only. Two or three months ago I did a post telling Mobilereaders how to get on the email mailing list for the daily specials. Interestingly, it is not a straightforward process, for whatever reason. Well, today I found their webpage which lists each day's email daily deals. These are separate and different from their other ebook deals, and there are usually only 3 or 4. Again, it is not a straightforward process to find that webpage, for whatever reason, but here it is: http://www.christianbook.com/ebook-daily-deals. You may be interested in knowing what the books are each day, but don't want to get on another mailing list; I can certainly relate to that.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Addendum to my previous message:

I know that it is "late in the day" to be mentioning the following, as Christianbook will be ending their daily book deals in just a few hours, and beginning new ones. Sorry. I was going to mention this in my previous post but plum (Southern lingo, meaning "completely") forgot it.

If you're thinking about purchasing Understanding the Big Picture of the Bible: A Guide to Reading the Bible from Christianbook, you will get very good material at a very good price. However, I just wanted to let you know that if you own the ESV Study Bible you may already have all of the material that is in the book. So a reviewer at Amazon says, anyway. If you want to look up the review, his is shown as "the most critical review" for the book.

I own the ESV Study Bible, so this is an issue for me. I want to investigate the reviewer's claim myself, but I don't know if I will have time today. I might have to just go ahead and purchase the book anyway, especially since it is so inexpensive. It would be nice to have all of that great material in a separate book, anyway.

If you have the ESV Study Bible, have bought the separate book at Christianbook, but don't want the separate book since you have the material already, well . . . unfortunately, you're out of luck at Christianbook. Unlike Amazon, where you can return ebooks, Christianbook doesn't permit it (unless they have changed their policy in the last few weeks). They say something like, "due to the nature of electronic media ebooks cannot be returned."

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-05-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #9
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I'm surprised that you weren't interested in the third title, one by D.A. Carson.
I find books about the history and interpretation of the Biblical text endlessly fascinating, but theology, not so much.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #10
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I find books about the history and interpretation of the Biblical text endlessly fascinating, but theology, not so much.
I'm like you on that.

I wasn't sure about Carson's book, but after looking over the preview and book description, I went ahead and got it. The title of the book was almost no help at all. The book is mainly an exposition of five passages in the New Testament, a commentary more-or-less on those passages, dealing with the cross (i.e., death) and resurrection of Jesus.

Oddly, I noticed at Amazon that there a Whispersync version available for it! It is hard to imagine an audiobook of a commentary! I won't be able to get it, though, because I bought the Christianbook ePub. I got the Christianbook ePub because it was the one marked way down.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:54 AM   #11
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Help Your Child Change with a Kindle Freebie

I've put this in the "Christian" books thread because of the book's reference to and reliance on the Bible.

The Absolute Quickest Way to Help Your Child Change. Second edition. By Fred Ray Lybrand. Rated 5 stars, but from only 5 reviews (this edition). Digital list price $0.99; Kindle price $0.00. http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Quick...r+Child+Change.

Written in an easy-to-read style, Fred Lybrand calls for a return to common sense in parenting (away from pseudo-intellectual approaches that have been found wanting). The Absolute Quickest Way to Help Your Child Change provides a fresh perspective for individuals who feel helpless or lack the needed confidence in their parenting skills. It also makes a great couples study and is loaded with practical tips. If you are a couple who understands parenting, then you now have a book which explains what you've been doing (especially in your marriage).
Old 06-08-2014, 11:37 PM   #12
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

The NKJV Study Bible is on sale for $7.99 (normally $19.99). It's couponable at Kobo US (PERKOPOLIS is worth 40% off, bringing the price to four dollars and change).
Amazon Christianbook

In what I hope isn't the start of a trend, it isn't currently marked down at Barnes & Noble. Today's free David C. Cook book isn't free there, either, so I'm a little concerned.

If you use (or want to use) Tecarta's Bible apps for Android or iOS, their study Bibles are marked down until June 30. Most are $7.99 instead of $14.99 (which they're calling 50% off, using some 1 Kings 7:23 math, I guess). The apps in the respective stores for each Bible are marked down as well as the in-app purchase price (at least for Android, which is what I have). If you use the Amazon Appstore, you can use Amazon Coins to buy them in-app.

I got an email from Zondervan that linked to this page listing the study Bible apps. They don't link to the Amazon Appstore, but you can either search for "Tecarta" or here's a link to the free KJV app (from which you can buy the Bibles at the sale price in-app).
Old 06-09-2014, 01:51 AM   #13
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The NKJV Study Bible is on sale for $7.99 (normally $19.99). It's couponable at Kobo US (PERKOPOLIS is worth 40% off, bringing the price to four dollars and change). . . .
Thanks as always for keeping us so well informed about study Bible bargains.

This is a Thomas Nelson imprint and I've got one or two Thomas Nelson study Bibles which use other Bible translations than the NKJV. I wonder if any of the study aids in those study Bibles are the same as in this study Bible that you posted? In other words, is there any overlap? I don't use the NKJV, but if the study aids were unique to this study bible they might very well be worth four dollars and change. Do you know? If you don't know, do you have a "feel," one way or another? I hope to avoid comparing all of the study Bibles to see.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:09 AM   #14
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Free Ebook--Better Dads, Stronger Sons

I mentioned in an earlier post that, with Fathers' Day coming up soon, there have been a lot of ebooks about fatherhood marked down in the last week or so. Here is one just marked down to free.

At this writing, it's not free (yet?) at Amazon (it had been marked down earlier to $1.99, and stayed that way for a little while). But, if your cup of tea is ePub you've got several free options. First, the essential information.

Better Dads, Stronger Sons: How Fathers Can Guide Boys to Become Men of Character. By Rick Johnson. Although it is not free now at Amazon, it is rated 4 stars from 25 reviews at the present moment. Print list price $13.99; digital list price $13.99.

The ebook is free in the ePub format from these stores:
Christianbook http://www.christianbook.com/better-...G&view=details.
Kobo http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebo...-stronger-sons.
Barnes & Noble http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bett...+stronger+sons.
In case I do not get to update this post, here is the URL for the Amazon webpage for the ebook so you can check for yourself if it has gone down to zero in price http://www.amazon.com/Better-Dads-St...n+of+Character.

Book Description
The relationship between a father and a son is like none other. Dads have a God-given role to protect and provide for their families, always striving to teach their sons the life skills they'll need to grow into honorable men. But many dads struggle with feelings of inadequacy regarding their fathering abilities. They want to be better dads.

Rick Johnson can show them how. In this insightful and practical book, Johnson shows how fathers can be equipped and inspired to be positive role models for their sons. He stresses the significance of male bonding, discipline, and spiritual leadership; discusses important topics such as sexual purity, respect, and self-discipline; and reveals the top ten mistakes to avoid as a father.

From commitment and courage to honesty and humility, Better Dads, Stronger Sons helps men strive to be the dads God designed them to be--so their sons can grow to be everything they are meant to be.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:34 AM   #15
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Free now at Amazon.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote