Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #16
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sometimes it is better to say things in your head than put them on the internet.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #17
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Sometimes it is better to say things in your head than put them on the internet.

Hmm....my point exactly!
Seriously though, pbook libraries have got all the latest books and already have the authors' royalties sorted out. I wouldn't want to borrow books in a way which cut the author's income, but can't get my head round why, if the system already works well for paper, it cannot be easily tranferred to ebooks.
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #18
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
I am assuming that these books in the Fictionwise library are secure mobipocket. Is it possible to remove the DRM of these books in the "usual" way?

(I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask that question here.)
I'm willing to answer this question in the abstract. I've seen some evidence that it can be done. I think it's ethically questionable, because this eliminates the automatic expiration of access to the book, and relies on the reader to remember to delete the book at the end of the loan period. (Even assuming they don't share it with anyone else or intentionally keep it beyond the loan period.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #19
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

DRM just plain doesn't work. It doesn't do what it's "supposed" to do, because it can be all too easily circumvented. There's no way to keep an encryption scheme from being broken where the recipient is also the attacker, and that's all there is to it.

Concerning e-libraries' DRM, as far as I know it's just bog-standard Mobipocket encryption, of the same kind that locks your book to your up-to-four devices. It's just that they throw in an "expires in X days" restriction as well. Really, it's a rather elegant idea and if it weren't that DRM is totally worthless I'd actually think it was pretty clever.

But anyway, given that the encryption is standard, if you know that a crack works for an "ordinary" Mobi book that you've purchased, in theory there is no reason it shouldn't work for a library book either.

You just have to decide whether your personal code of ethics allows you to crack it (given that even if there is a law against it in your locale as there is in the USA, it's not likely you'll ever be caught unless you go around blabbing about it on public forums), and what said code allows you to do with it.

Last edited by Robotech_Master; 10-01-2008 at 04:26 PM. Reason: expanding the original discussion
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
And if too many people start cracking and advertising the fact then mobipocket will likely get removed from the libraries and no longer available. Adobe has not been cracked and we'll be stuck with only that.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #21
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I'm willing to answer this question in the abstract. I've seen some evidence that it can be done. I think it's ethically questionable, because this eliminates the automatic expiration of access to the book, and relies on the reader to remember to delete the book at the end of the loan period. (Even assuming they don't share it with anyone else or intentionally keep it beyond the loan period.)
It was unclear to me if the expiration mechanism was separate from the DRM, since I know nothing of these things. I think a separate scheme might have been smarter.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:08 AM   #22
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
It was unclear to me if the expiration mechanism was separate from the DRM, since I know nothing of these things. I think a separate scheme might have been smarter.
The DRM is what allows the time limit. Without the DRM, you can't impose reading limits (like time limit).
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote