Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your maximum price for a bundled set of short stories by Arthur C. Clarke?
Not interested 20 43.48%
Will buy some individually 2 4.35%
No more than $50 22 47.83%
No more than $100 2 4.35%
No more than $150 0 0%
No more than $200 0 0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #16
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I voted for "less than $50", but I really mean much less. In fact, I wouldn't pay more than $20. And $20 would be unlikely, seeing as the paperback is available for $13.57 from Amazon and the hardback is only $21.86

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0312878605/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312878214/

$9.99 seems a reasonable price. for the complete collection.

Selling the individual stories at $1.99 is an incredible rip-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
As noted on a previous thread, Sony is selling 103 short stories by Arthur C. Clarke for $1.99 for each short story. That’s $204.97 for the complete stories.

Here’s the question:

If Sony bundled all these stories, what would be the maximum price that would cause you to think about buying them?

Prices are in USD.

Don
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #17
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I have a whole bunch of Clarke short fiction in paperback. Even a collection of 103 such stories wouldn't be worth more than $35-40 to me. The current price is way too rich for my blood.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:48 PM   #18
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
pdurrant reflects my opinion exactly. As much as I like Clarke, and would love to have a single collection of his shorets (I already have most of them in paperback), in an e-book format I would not pay more than $20, and that would be a stretch. $10 would be a good deal.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:27 PM   #19
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
Way too much.

Agree that around $10 would be a fair price, although I have or have read the dead tree versions of most of his work already.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:27 PM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
If it's good, longer is better!
Sigh... women!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:39 PM   #21
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Everyone should request an eBook of the complete collection. $2 per story is way too much.

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Collected-Stor...569258&sr=11-1

Sony: (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke)
http://ebooks.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/e...php?p_faqid=97
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:07 PM   #22
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Given that even the list price for the complete collection in paperback is $20 (and as noted above, Amazon sells it for $13.57 plus shipping), I'd say $9.99 is reasonable. I'd go as high as $12, I suppose, since I do really like Clarke, and it would be convenient to have all his short stories in one set, nicely formatted. (Note that Clarke is sadly no longer with us, so I'm ambivalent over whether his works should still be in copyright, but legally, they are.)

I don't have a Sony unit, though, so the price of the Sony Reader format is irrelevant to me in any case.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:19 AM   #23
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
Everyone should request an eBook of the complete collection. $2 per story is way too much.

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Collected-Stor...569258&sr=11-1

Sony: (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke)
http://ebooks.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/e...php?p_faqid=97
Agreed, I paid some 20 euros for the paper version of the collected short stories somewhere in 2004 or so. I don't think _all_ of his short stories are in it, but 99.9% of the ones worth reading are. I don't particularly care to pay for them again in electronic format, and especially not such exorbitant prices.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #24
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
I voted 'no more than 50 usd' and in reality would pay around 30 USD. I have the hardcover Collected Stories (year 2000, Orion Books Ltd ISBN 0 575 07065 X) book which has a price tag of 20 GBP (around 30 USD) printed on it, and I think I paid a little less than that with shipping some years ago.
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:56 AM   #25
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I would love it... @ no more than $25.

Or perhaps I can just wait 70 years and get it for free.

Not really a viable option.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:46 AM   #26
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
The guy who actually produce that digital edition have to be paid.

So, a fair price depends from the quality of the files.
For the average Mobipocket.com quality standard, 20$ for the bunch, or 50c/story is a good price point.
AFAIK, author and publisher have already had their fair amount. More than that is too much.

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote