Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-20-2022, 12:03 PM   #496
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
@question_mark, @kandwo : could you check the version of your "contacts" app in the "manage apps" settings ?

Mine is version 9.07.001
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 01:33 PM   #497
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploum View Post
@question_mark, @kandwo : could you check the version of your "contacts" app in the "manage apps" settings ?

Mine is version 9.07.001
On my A5 ProCC, the Contacts app version is 10.07.001.

Not sure what it is on my wife's regular A5. I'll check when I get home from work.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:29 PM   #498
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On my wife's regular A5, the version for the Contacts app is 9.07.001.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:37 AM   #499
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Thanks for the answer. So we have the exact same version but not the same features. The mystery thickens…
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 05:04 AM   #500
ferlanero
ferlanero began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92 Booxtor Edition - iLiad 2nd Edition
There is a new update from HiSense for the A5 Pro CC -> L1732.6.16.01.00 It seems that is a secure update for the Android 10. But any update for the device is always welcomed.
ferlanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 11:57 PM   #501
Nightflyer
Connoisseur
Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M6, Kobo Clara HD
Is it easy to sideload epubs and read them?

Can it be done wirelessly?

I'm considering using it only as an ereader in addition to my Kobo.
Nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 08:06 AM   #502
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post

Reading epubs is a pleasure on the various Hisense A5 devices. I personally use the A5 Pro CC now. It has replaced my Boox devices for casual reading. I now mainly use my Boox devices for PDFs.

Sideloading epubs is effortless. I usually do this by connecting it to a computer via a cable. However, I see no reason why it couldn't be done wirelessly.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:05 AM   #503
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post

Just use calibre companion with calibre on windows or mac osx.

There is an app for both android and ios.

I have my whole library in Calibre anyways and calibre companion allows wireless transfer over wi-fi, is free and easy to use
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 05:03 AM   #504
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamba66 View Post
Just use calibre companion with calibre on windows or mac osx.
Calibre Companion is not an option any more, the app has been abandoned. It's only worth of you have access to the old app, the one actually in the Play Store isn't worth it, it asks for a subscription and it's not being maintained.
If you have access to the old app, it works correctly in the Hisense 5, with newer versions of Android you might have some problems but it mostly works still.
If you don't have access to the old app, any cloud storage works, or you can try Koreader, it is a reader app mainly, but it has a basic wifi synchronizing with Calibre, not as advanced as Calibre Companion, but for many people it's enough.
milady133 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 03:24 PM   #505
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
Hey guys, old thread but old phone and old topic!

Just wanted to check that the HiSense phones are useless as a phone. Everything I've seen seems to suggest you can put google apps on the device but they mostly don't work, and you're contacts and calendar won't synch.. and you won't get any notifications.

Plus the phone is prone to locking you out, giving you no chance to recover it with a pin number, so your 300 dollar phone is immediately useless for no good reason.

It sounds very much like the Yotaphone 2 is the last eInk phone that actually works if you're outside China. Can someone confirm please?
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 08:10 AM   #506
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_ View Post

Just wanted to check that the HiSense phones are useless as a phone. Everything I've seen seems to suggest you can put google apps on the device but they mostly don't work, and you're contacts and calendar won't synch.. and you won't get any notifications.

Plus the phone is prone to locking you out, giving you no chance to recover it with a pin number, so your 300 dollar phone is immediately useless for no good reason.

It sounds very much like the Yotaphone 2 is the last eInk phone that actually works if you're outside China. Can someone confirm please?
My Hisense A5 Pro C works just fine as a phone here in Canada. I can make and receive phone calls and can send and receive texts without a problem. I have never been locked out of my phone.

Of course, it does not do Google Play Store. But I don't need it to. I got the few apps that I use like Moon+ Reader elsewhere and they work fine.

The camera isn't great on it. But, apart from that, no real complaints about the phone. Just wish it were a bit smaller.
Old 06-10-2023, 10:12 AM   #507
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:

If you need Google's apps, then yes, you are right. Stay away from this phone. Or if you live in the US, seeing as most bands over there are not supported.

As for the rest: I live in Europe and everything works great. I consider Google spyware and don't want them anywhere near my phone; apps can be installed and updated using F-droid and Aurora store. I've never been locked out of either my A5 Pro or A9.

That said, I wish it were possible to root these phones (except for the A5, which is rootable) to be able to use microG.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 06:55 AM   #508
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
Thanks guys for the updates. I SO wanted this phone to be something I could use as a daily driver but.. without contacts and calendar I'm going to be a bit stuck. If anyone can suggest an open source alternative to either of those, I think I can live with the terrible camera. Maybe the A5 is a better choice because it isn't so large, but is the A5 CC rootable as well?!
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 01:11 AM   #509
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Thanks guys for the updates. I SO wanted this phone to be something I could use as a daily driver but.. without contacts and calendar I'm going to be a bit stuck. If anyone can suggest an open source alternative to either of those, I think I can live with the terrible camera. Maybe the A5 is a better choice because it isn't so large, but is the A5 CC rootable as well?!
What do you mean? Why can't you just export your contacts from your current phone and import them into the new one?

There are a myriad of (open source) calendar apps you could use. Proton Calendar is pretty nice.

I would assume the A5C is rootable, too, since it's the same phone with a colour layer. You could check XDA forums to be sure. Here's one thread that I found: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/h...04-00.4097951/
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote