Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-11-2021, 04:24 PM   #16
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipiford View Post
I don't believe the graphics can be extracted from the .mobi files, and the backup I have is minus some 1,000 changes (updates to ratings and covers), so it will be a 'bear' of a project to update the backup.

I don't see how anything other than Calibre could have deleted every single graphic from that many separate folders (there's a folder for each author, and a sub-folder for each book for that author).
Covers can be extracted from mobi files if they exist. There's a button in calibre's metadata panel that does just that.

Admittedly, for a whole library I'd be looking for a scripted option. I have no idea why the covers are not there.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 04:47 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre does have the ability to Remove covers from Selected Books

That needs serious user (bad) actions (more than 1 place/chance to abort) to get done.
First you would select All (there is a sea of blue in front of you)
Then you right clicked to get the Context Menu for that Sea
I never knew the option existed, but I see it does.

I also see that it lacks an "Are you sure?" popup, and that the deleted covers are not put in the Trash/Recycle bin.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-12 084625.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	190142  

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-11-2021 at 04:51 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2021, 05:36 PM   #18
Tipiford
Enthusiast
Tipiford began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 10th Gen/Pixel App
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
If you look under the covers in the Calibre library, what files do you see in a typical folder?
.opf / azw and or .mobi / and the cover.jpg files
Tipiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:48 PM   #19
Tipiford
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Covers can be extracted from mobi files if they exist. There's a button in calibre's metadata panel that does just that.
This may be my restoration. Also in the metadata panel are all kinds of options, including 'download metadata and covers,' singularly or in bulk, metadata and covers, or metadata only or covers only─never knew it was there. It's now working in the background; I'll post back when it's finished to let all who've contributed know the results.
Thanx for the info on the metadata tab.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:18 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
.opf / azw and or .mobi / and the cover.jpg files
Then they are not gone.
Hang on!
Where are you looking.???????
1) Cover browser (a pane with many covers the flip)
2) Metadata Details (the book icon in the lower corner activates)
3) Grid view (9 cubes icon)
4) Metadata editor window

If they do not show on ANY of 1-4, then try and perform Library Maintenance:Rebuild ...
This takes a bit of time, but way less than reconstruction
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2021, 06:32 PM   #21
Tipiford
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Then they are not gone.
Hang on!
Where are you looking.???????
1) Cover browser (a pane with many covers the flip)
2) Metadata Details (the book icon in the lower corner activates)
3) Grid view (9 cubes icon)
4) Metadata editor window

If they do not show on ANY of 1-4, then try and perform Library Maintenance:Rebuild ...
This takes a bit of time, but way less than reconstruction
I was inferring to what is normally found in the subject folder, not what is currently present. Currently present in each of the 2,400+ folders is merely the .opf file and the .mobi and/or .azw file(s), no .jpg file.
Old 11-11-2021, 07:01 PM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
I was inferring to what is normally found in the subject folder, not what is currently present. Currently present in each of the 2,400+ folders is merely the .opf file and the .mobi and/or .azw file(s), no .jpg file.
You sure make it hard to help you! We know what is normally in a calibre folder. Maybe I misphrased it but the idea was to see what YOU had in a typical folder.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:24 PM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You sure had 2 folk who have been here for a long time, confused.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #24
Tipiford
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You sure make it hard to help you! We know what is normally in a calibre folder. Maybe I misphrased it but the idea was to see what YOU had in a typical folder.
My apologies, but unless you were specific, I had no clue as to what you knew about the Calibre structure. I was going by, "what files do you see in a typical folder?" Guess that's the programmer in me.

Incidentally, Calibre's download of the covers has finished, and produced NO COVERS in the several that I looked at. It's individual download of covers, has worked well in the past.
Old 11-11-2021, 07:57 PM   #25
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Pretty sure, this is not the first time someone has reported mass loss of cover images. IIRC on those occasions instructions were give on how to recover them from format files.

Until I read post #15 from theducks I didn't realise how easy it was to remove covers from books en-masse. What if the format files don't have embedded covers, I have a library of over a 1,000 letters that don't have the covers I made embedded in the format files.

IMO the remove actions should have "Are you sure?" popups. And remove actions that don't move the files to the Rubbish Bin (such as Remove covers from selected books) should not have "Show this this again" checkboxes on those popups.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:33 PM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Adding confirmation for remove covers is a good idea, done.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:50 AM   #27
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Admittedly, for a whole library I'd be looking for a scripted option.
Control-A -> Edit metadata -> Change cover -> Set from e-book files.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 02:03 PM   #28
Tipiford
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Control-A -> Edit metadata -> Change cover -> Set from e-book files.
That was the trick, issue resolved, Thanx muchly, mbovenka