Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-05-2020, 09:34 AM   #16
increase
Connoisseur
increase began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Ok thanks, this is the online validator link http://validator.idpf(dot)org/application/validate

and here is one of the error messages
ERROR OEBPS/content.opf 7 80 Error while parsing file: attribute "opf:event" not allowed here; expected attribute "id"
increase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:52 AM   #17
increase
Connoisseur

Here is one of the errors
OEBPS/content.opf Error while parsing file: attribute "opf:event" not allowed here; expected attribute "id"

Last edited by increase; 02-05-2020 at 09:53 AM. Reason: duplicate post
Advert
Old 02-05-2020, 10:13 AM   #18
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
This is not a Sigil problem!

Most likely you've created an epub3 book and content.opf file contains an entry like the following one:

Code:
<dc:date opf:event="modification" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">2020-02-05</dc:date>
To fix this problem, simply delete this entry and save the epub. This'll generate/update the following entry:
Code:
<meta property="dcterms:modified">2020-02-05</meta>
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:41 AM   #19
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
But why would this cause "Chapters" to appear to be missing?
And I can not figure out the sequence of events used here:

Was it?
1. edit file in Sigil
2. save epub
3. pass saved epub to online validator and get results
4. reopen file in Sigil
5. try to fix errors by hand (some in opf)
And then somehow files started to go missing? ...

Again, information on which versions of Sigil, and which platform would certainly help narrow things down, and what exact sequence of events you actually used.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-05-2020 at 10:45 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:46 AM   #20
increase
Connoisseur

I have now recovered my epub complete, for information here are the remaining erros from the validator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	validator.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	458.4 KB
ID:	176932  
Advert
Old 02-05-2020, 12:09 PM   #21
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you actually use Doitsu's wonderful epubcheck plugin for Sigil, you would be able to easily click on the report rows in the Validator window and navigate directly to where the error is in Sigil.

My guess is you tried to modify your file extensions from '.htm" to '.xhtml' somehow and did not use Sigil's rename to do that and so "lost" your files. You just can not change them in the opf.

So there never was a problem in Sigil.

Please next time, answer the questions about version of Sigil or Platform as these are important.

And next time actually explain what you did (the exact sequence of events, etc). So that people can actually help.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:27 PM   #22
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by increase View Post
I have now recovered my epub complete, for information here are the remaining errors from the validator
To fix all .xhtml file extension errors, select all .htm files in the Book Browser tree, right-click them, select Rename enter .xhtml and click OK.

Also press CTRL+T, create a new TOC and then select Tools > Epub3 Tools > Generate NCX/Guide for epub2 ereaders.

This should take care of most error messages. To fix the message about the div tag, you'll have to locate it and post the code.

Make sure to create a backup copy before implementing these changes!
Old 02-05-2020, 12:28 PM   #23
increase
Connoisseur

Ok thank you, you are correct, I changed file extensions from '.htm" to '.xhtml' in one of the .opf or nav files.
My sigil version is 0.9.13

I tried the epubcheck but because I made the upgrade to epub3 it would not work

You have actually been a great help
Old 02-05-2020, 12:44 PM   #24
increase
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
To fix all .xhtml file extension errors, select all .htm files in the Book Browser tree, right-click them, select Rename enter .xhtml and click OK.

Also press CTRL+T, create a new TOC and then select Tools > Epub3 Tools > Generate NCX/Guide for epub2 ereaders.

This should take care of most error messages. To fix the message about the div tag, you'll have to locate it and post the code.

Make sure to create a backup copy before implementing these changes!
Thank you Doitsu, that fixed all errors except the 3-4 in the attachment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	validator.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	176933  
Old 02-05-2020, 12:49 PM   #25
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Doitsu's epubcheck works just fine on both epub2 and epub3 epubs. It is the same validator you are using online, just installed and run locally.

Quote:
Ok thank you, you are correct, I changed file extensions from '.htm" to '.xhtml' in one of the .opf or nav files.
My sigil version is 0.9.13

I tried the epubcheck but because I made the upgrade to epub3 it would not work

You have actually been a great help
Old 02-05-2020, 12:55 PM   #26
increase
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Doitsu's epubcheck works just fine on both epub2 and epub3 epubs. It is the same validator you are using online, just installed and run locally.
I tried epucheck v0.4.3

This is what I get

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\Sigil\plugin_launchers\python\launcher.py", line 135, in launch
self.exitcode = target_script.run(container)
File "C:\Users\erisoov\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil\plugins\EpubCheck\plugin.py", line 228, in run
arch = get_arch(java_path, os_encoding)
File "C:\Users\erisoov\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil\plugins\EpubCheck\plugin.py", line 39, in get_arch
_, stderr = jar_wrapper(*args)
File "C:\Users\erisoov\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil\plugins\EpubCheck\plugin.py", line 49, in jar_wrapper
process = Popen(args, stdout=PIPE, stderr=PIPE, shell=False)
File "subprocess.py", line 756, in __init__
File "subprocess.py", line 1155, in _execute_child
FileNotFoundError: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified
Error: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified
Old 02-05-2020, 01:04 PM   #27
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I tried epucheck v0.4.3

This is what I get

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\Sigil\plugin_launchers\python\launcher.py", line 135, in launch
self.exitcode = target_script.run(container)
File "C:\Users\erisoov\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil\plugins\EpubCheck\plugin.py", line 228, in run
arch = get_arch(java_path, os_encoding)
File "C:\Users\erisoov\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil\plugins\EpubCheck\plugin.py", line 39, in get_arch
_, stderr = jar_wrapper(*args)
File "C:\Users\erisoov\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil\plugins\EpubCheck\plugin.py", line 49, in jar_wrapper
process = Popen(args, stdout=PIPE, stderr=PIPE, shell=False)
File "subprocess.py", line 756, in __init__
File "subprocess.py", line 1155, in _execute_child
FileNotFoundError: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified
Error: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified
The EpubCheck plugin requires Java. Download & install the latest Java version from Oracle before running the plugin. (Download jdk-8u241-windows-x64.exe if you have a 64bit Windows machine.)
Old 02-05-2020, 01:06 PM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There are instructions in his epubcheck plugin thread for solving that issue. Java needs to be installed and need to be in your system PATH to use the plugin.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:10 PM   #29
increase
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
The EpubCheck plugin requires Java. Download & install the latest Java version from Oracle before running the plugin. (Download jdk-8u241-windows-x64.exe if you have a 64bit Windows machine.)
Thanks it worked, gave me the same 5 errors remaining
Old 02-05-2020, 04:37 PM   #30
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks it worked, gave me the same 5 errors remaining
I've already mentioned in my previous posts (1, 2) how to deal with them. If you can't follow instructions, I can't help you.

Tags
epub code, read-along, sigil