Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-21-2019, 05:38 PM   #121
Jelsta
Jelsta began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Boox
Thanks, I really appreciate your reply! The professional reviewers frustratingly don’t talk much about the writing experience even though it’s a note taking device. I imagine one could use a different Wacom-type stylus to improve the ergonomics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jelsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:22 AM   #122
ThierryA
ThierryA began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrod View Post
Thanks.
It works for the first page turning but not the following ones.
With A2 mode on, page turning works but the page legibility is really lessened (greyed with fuzzier font).

I have also an Uncertified Device notification: Manufacturer hasn't certified this device. I can install apps from the Play Store.
Did I miss something during the activation? Or Do I have to register the GSF Id of the NovaPro following the procedure here?
As for reading, I use and recommend Fbreader: works well and offers reading position sync between devices (in my case with my phone)

About Playstore: my advice is "ditch it !" unless of course you want some google spying software to eat away at your battery while calling home...
Alternative :https://apps.goodereader.com/android...tores/?did=171
It's a tad unstable but offers tens of thousands apps that have been tested to work on eink devices. No strings attached.
ThierryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2019, 04:52 PM   #123
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThierryA View Post
Alternative :https://apps.goodereader.com/android...tores/?did=171
It's a tad unstable but offers tens of thousands apps that have been tested to work on eink devices. No strings attached.
While I'm sure that they've tested some of the apps in their app store to see how they perform on eink devices, I would be surprised if they have tested thousands.

Certainly some of the Android apps which they have in their store wouldn't work on most eink devices. For example, I haven't seen very many eink devices with fingerprint sensors. (My Hisense A2 Pro has one and apparently so do the most recent models from Onyx, but apart from that?) So I can't see the Fingerprint Lock app in their store working very well on most eink devices.

https://apps.goodereader.com/android...ment/?did=1704

And, just browsing through the Android apps they have listed, I can't see many of them performing well on most eink devices.

Will some of their apps work well? Of course, they've got some standard and well established apps there like Moon+ Reader which I love and which is my go to app for reading in Japanese. But one can find that app and others like it in other app stores as well.

Plenty to choose from elsewhere if you don't want to use Google Play. I would give that particular app store a wide berth given the unethical way they conducted their Indiegogo campaign which still has backers waiting for perks.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/1...ader#/comments
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:51 PM   #124
c0032
c0032 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova
Is there still no way to actually sort the dictionaries? In which way are they ordered anyway? I tried renaming the stardict folders, but it won't recognize them at all now.
c0032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:31 AM   #125
ThierryA

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I would give that particular app store a wide berth given the unethical way they conducted their Indiegogo campaign which still has backers waiting for perks.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/1...ader#/comments
I second you with that of course.
My idea being NOT to use the Google Playstore for privacy reasons and battery life, any other app store would do.

Could you, or anyone, recommend the best one(s) around ?
Thanks !
Advert
Old 10-25-2019, 07:59 AM   #126
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThierryA View Post
Could you, or anyone, recommend the best one(s) around ?
Thanks !
In the past, I have used F-Droid, APKPure and APKMirror to get specific apps that I wanted.

Of course, their apps aren't specifically optimized for eink ereaders. They just offer a repository of regular apps so you will have to find those ones which work for you on your ereader.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:34 AM   #127
Acaread
Acaread began at the beginning.

Device: None
The Nova Pro is currently not available at the German amazon and on ereader.store it was quietly discounted by 12 Euros. Does anyone think it might be for the reason that there is a successor to be announced? With the 10.3 line being updates, it would make sense to upgrade the internals of the small one as well, wouldn’t it?
Acaread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:10 PM   #128
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acaread View Post
The Nova Pro is currently not available at the German amazon and on ereader.store it was quietly discounted by 12 Euros. Does anyone think it might be for the reason that there is a successor to be announced? With the 10.3 line being updates, it would make sense to upgrade the internals of the small one as well, wouldn’t it?
I suspect that Onyx will soon provide a Nova Pro with Android 9.0. It would be great if Onyx bumped the Nova's specs up to 4 gb RAM and 64 gb internal storage, like the Note Pro. I'm not aware of any info on any Nova upgrade, however. This is sheer educated guesswork!!

The question will be whether Onyx will provide an Android 9.0 upgrade for current Nova/Nova Pro users.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:57 PM   #129
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
The question will be whether Onyx will provide an Android 9.0 upgrade for current Nova/Nova Pro users.
They have said that they will so let's hope that they are true to their word.

Although I would like to have the OTG capabilities which it seems that they will be introducing on their forthcoming devices, I can't see myself forking out all that money just to get that feature. Because apart from that, there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to part with more money just yet.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:21 PM   #130
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
They have said that they will so let's hope that they are true to their word.

Although I would like to have the OTG capabilities which it seems that they will be introducing on their forthcoming devices, I can't see myself forking out all that money just to get that feature. Because apart from that, there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to part with more money just yet.
Better specs are nice, but I'd be fine with Android 9.0 on my Nova!!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:58 AM   #131
ThierryA

Quote:
In the past, I have used F-Droid, APKPure and APKMirror to get specific apps that I wanted.
Thanks a lot for these !

Tags
boox, usb c