Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-16-2019, 06:50 AM   #61
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
Good evening. This is my first attempt this year to get Plato working in my Kobo. Total failure again, but with different results compared to last years.

The instructions in the first post are confusing. For example, should I install KFMon first (because it says the programs "rely on" it) or is KFMon included in the "one-click" packages so that the whole procedure is just one install instead of two consecutive installs? If two consecutive installs, then what justifies calling it "one-click"? If it is one install of either Plato, Koreader, or them both, and you can ignore KFMon, then why emphasise KFMon all over the place?

I installed KFMon first. Since I use Kobo Start Menu, I had to decide how to "handle update" before booting to Nickel again. I chose "partial update". Why are there no instructions about this step? Anyway, there were no apparent changes in Nickel after this.

Then I took a "one-click" Plato package (which seemed to contain KFMon yet again) and again upon "handle update" I chose "partial update". This resulted in three image files in my "My Books" section in the Nickel home screen. The three image files are KFMon, Koreader (why is that there???) and Plato. Okay, I click on Plato and the image file opens. Same with the other image files.

Where is Plato the reading app? How to open it?

I have many more questions, but let's limit to these for now.
NiLuJe will be able to confirm whether I am correct, but I suspect Kobo Start Manager and kfmon may not coexist nicely.

Since you are already using KSM, it's probably best if you launch Plato directly with that. I don't use KSM, so I'm not sure what the procedure is there I'm afraid.

The One-Click install packages are designed for people who are running a stock or patched Kobo, not for those already using KSM, fmon, kfmon etc.

As you noticed, these packages include kfmon, so it's a literal unzip the contents to the kobo drive, unplug, and it will reboot itself.

The fact that Plato did not load when you "opened" the image probably means that kfmon was not installed correctly, and/or not running. This probably has to do with the KSM partial update you mentioned. Note: I suspect a full update would break KSM...

In short, don't try and install these packages if KSM is already in use. Perhaps NiLuJe could make this more explicit?
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:51 AM   #62
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
...should I install KFMon first (because it says the programs "rely on" it)...
You've read well "rely on KFMon" (which is always included) not on KSM.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #63
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcn363 View Post
You've read well "rely on KFMon" (which is always included) not on KSM.
Sorry, but this answers none of my questions.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:36 AM   #64
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@mobama: Because none of this is supposed to work with KSM.

A choice of launcher is exclusive, they're designed not to step one each other's toes.
In this specific case, KSM always wins.

Hence the mention that "existing users" (i.e., you) should probably figure their current launcher situation first .

I'll try to make that more explicit in the first post. (EDIT: Done. Does this clear things up for you?).

EDIT: Oh, hey, missed a new page again . Basically, @sherman hit the nail on the head .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-16-2019 at 08:45 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #65
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
You could consider making it red or something. For example, I think KSM's "concerning H2O2v2" notice is quite, ahem, noticeable.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=293804
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2019, 12:02 AM   #66
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@mobama: Because none of this is supposed to work with KSM.
I'd be very happy to have this kind of clear sentence in the first post. It is a vital pre-requisite to know.

So, Plato exists but there is no sensible way to install it. Very unfortunate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
You could consider making it red or something. For example, I think KSM's "concerning H2O2v2" notice is quite, ahem, noticeable.
In my browsing, I often bypass colours. The best option is bullet points. E.g.

PREREQUISITES

- These one-click packages will not work for devices that have Kobo Start Menu!
-
-

INSTRUCTIONS

-
-
-

In the first post, the installation instructions part is quite nice, but what precedes it is not so instructive.

Sorry that I am wasting your time, but I got my time wasted too, and still no Plato.

Last edited by mobama; 02-17-2019 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:06 AM   #67
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
I'd be very happy to have this kind of clear sentence in the first post. It is a vital pre-requisite to know.

PREREQUISITES

-
-

INSTRUCTIONS

-
-
-

In the first post, the installation instructions part is quite nice, but what precedes it is not so instructive.

Sorry that I am wasting your time, but I got my time wasted too, and still no Plato.
I'm not a KSM expert (tried it maybe once years ago...), however, the KSM 9 thread seems to include some sort of instructions for installing Plato.

From https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=293804:
Quote:
Note: koreader, plato, and vlasovsoft/pbchess/coolreader are not included in this package. You have to install them separately. The installation is the same for all three packages: Copy the main folder of each package, that means the folder koreader, respectively plato, respectively vlasovsoft, into the folder .adds that you will find on your device after KSM has been installed.
  • koreader: I would recommend that you install one of the recent builds that you can find here. Choose a package that has "kobo" in its name. H202 is supported since nightly build 1546-gd0130ae (06-Mar-2018, and requires KSM 09, update 2.
  • vlasovsoft: see here.
  • plato: see here. Currently, you have to install an updated start script for plato version 0.4.1+
That's from the original post in the KSM9 thread. Hopefully there's enough info in that thread to get you going with Plato.

Unfortunately, Plato's own documentation is... anemic when it comes to installation instructions for each launcher. FWIW, the Plato installation "instructions" can be found at https://github.com/baskerville/plato...r/doc/GUIDE.md.

Hope this helps, and good luck getting Plato working!
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:43 PM   #68
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:

Sorry, but this is simply not true.

Installing Plato is simple as it can be, just copy content of Plato zip file you get from Plato releases page (https://github.com/baskerville/plato/releases) in appropriate directory.

You have maybe too technical instructions for this here:

Code:
mkdir -p SD_ROOT/.adds/plato
unzip plato-VERSION.zip -d SD_ROOT/.adds/plato
So, you have to have .adds directory first (if you use KSM, it's already created), otherwise, create it. Then, just add plato subdirectory inside it. Afterward, just copy content from plato zip file into that directory, using your favorite file explorer (as there are too many there, I hope you know how to work with one of your choosing). Directory structure inside zip file should be intact (don't flat directories into one directory). That's it, you have Plato installed.

Then, we are talking about how to run it. Well, it can be done in many ways, depending which software for running you want to use.

If you want to use KSM, and have it installed already, that's it, in KSM you'll get one more option when you get back to it, Plato. Just tap on it, like you would tap on koreader, coolreader, etc.

If you want to use One-Click Install packages we discuss here, you need to install them per instructions (and of course, there's no need to have KSM AND One-Click Install packages).

If you want to use some other method for starting, use that method, follow instructions related to that method.

That's it, simply, easy and quite logical.

To recapitulate:

First you choose how you want to run reader programs, i.e. what program you want to use for that purpose. Then install chosen program.

Afterward, just copy Plato zip file content in .adds/plato directory you created.

That's it, you have Plato and you run it depending on software you choose to run it (each software have its own way, consult instructions per software how to do that).

Simple, isn't it.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:37 AM   #69
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
It's not just the color. It's also lifted out in a quote box.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #70
mobama
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
To recapitulate:

First you choose how you want to run reader programs, i.e. what program you want to use for that purpose. Then install chosen program.
In my case, KSM version 08 is already installed. At least it says 08 under "info"; upon poweroff it says 07.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
Afterward, just copy Plato zip file content in .adds/plato directory you created.

That's it, you have Plato and you run it depending on software you choose to run it (each software have its own way, consult instructions per software how to do that).

Simple, isn't it.
Yes, sounds simple, which is why I tried it a bunch of times last year. However, nothing showed up in my KSM. I have also tried to follow several different instructions, all with equally non-existent results. And nothing showed up in my KSM this time either.

I was rather excited about these "one-click" packages because they promise to make the installation simpler than ever, but unfortunately they again deliver no results for me. The fact seems to be that it's not that these packages "are not meant" for those who have KSM, but rather if you have KSM then the packages will not work no matter what. The user *must not* have KSM, then the packages would work (maybe, because I won't uninstall my KSM to try).

I have about three decades of experience as a computer user and I have installed hundreds of programs hundreds of times, following all sorts of instructions, including building packages and hunting for dependencies. Please listen: Installing this Plato thing is not simple at all. With my experience, I most definitely can tell when an installation is simple and when it is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
It's not just the color. It's also lifted out in a quote box.
Yes, that's true. And it's a good thing!

Last edited by mobama; 02-22-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #71
mobama
Evangelist

Last edited by mobama; 02-22-2019 at 12:36 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 02-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #72
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
I have about three decades of experience as a computer user and I have installed hundreds of programs hundreds of times, following all sorts of instructions, including building packages and hunting for dependencies. Please listen: Installing this Plato thing is not simple at all. With my experience, I most definitely can tell when an installation is simple and when it is not.
Hi, if you really want to install Plato you have two options:

option one: update KSM to a version compatible with plato
option two: remove KSM and use KFMon instead (via manual steps or using this one click installer).

Please do not confuse other new users, your experience is yours "Installing this Plato thing is not simple at all" doesn't apply to other users. I personally used this one-click install on a factory reseted device and it worked flawless.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:45 PM   #73
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Yes, sounds simple, which is why I tried it a bunch of times last year. However, nothing showed up in my KSM. I have also tried to follow several different instructions, all with equally non-existent results. And nothing showed up in my KSM this time either.
I was rather excited about these "one-click" packages because they promise to make the installation simpler than ever, but unfortunately they again deliver no results for me. The fact seems to be that it's not that these packages "are not meant" for those who have KSM, but rather if you have KSM then the packages will not work no matter what. The user *must not* have KSM, then the packages would work (maybe, because I won't uninstall my KSM to try).
KSM 8 does not know plato. You need KSM 9, and for more recent versions of plato you need to update a script file (you find the information under 'news' in the first post of the KSM 9 thread.)
In KSM (any version) you can disable KSM by selecting tools > activate > set runmenu settings.msh > never; then One-Click Install Packages should work (until you re-enable KSM).
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:46 PM   #74
mobama
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Hi, if you really want to install Plato you have two options:

option one: update KSM to a version compatible with plato
option two: remove KSM and use KFMon instead (via manual steps or using this one click installer).
Thanks. Both are unacceptable to me. I am not removing my working KSM to replace it with something that works very differently (wifi should boot up by default???!!! where are the instructions to turn that off???!!!) or may not work at all (look at the feedback in the thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Please do not confuse other new users, your experience is yours "Installing this Plato thing is not simple at all" doesn't apply to other users. I personally used this one-click install on a factory reseted device and it worked flawless.
Users do not come with infinitely varied experience. Relevant for now, there are just two kinds: Those who got Plato to work and those who did not.

Maybe you do not appreciate my feedback, but I appreciate yours. It is good that I got confirmed that, as it is, Plato will not run on my device, because I am running KSM 08, and I will keep it this way because there is no good reason to change it.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #75
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
where are the instructions to turn that off???!!!)
In the first post of the KSM 9 thread under "recommendations".
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfmon, kobo, koreader, plato