Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 09-21-2020, 01:59 PM   #16
alopan
alopan has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.alopan has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.alopan has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.alopan has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.alopan has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.alopan has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.alopan has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.alopan has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.alopan has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.alopan has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.alopan has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Vox
Hi guys, this is my first post here :-) I had the same problem with Kobo Vox. I patched Kobo Setup Wizard (KoboSetupWizard.apk) and skipped Kobo account registration. It's not an ideal solution because you can't use the Kobo app for reading, but it's better than nothing.

If you are interested, you need to download a zip file with a patched apk and replace original apk on SD card with the patched version.

Step by step:
0. make SD card backup
1. download attachment and unzip it (apk md5 sum: 7ec501f49d0ce73da96379da7bbcde89)
2. put SD card in a computer, mount SD card
3. delete files KoboSetupWizard.apk and KoboSetupWizard.odex in folder /system/app
4. copy patched KoboSetupWizard.apk to /system/app (patched apk contains code, so you will copy only 1 file)
5. unmount the SD card, put the SD card in the tablet.
That's it.

Helpful links:
- Kobo Vox disassembly
https://liliputing.com/2011/11/kobo-...card-slot.html
https://www.flickr.com/photos/syamastro/6346950395/
- How to mount/unmount SD card and copy files to /system/app (many thanks Difflugia)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=161
- Essential Kobo Vox Apps and Tools (some of them I collected by using Internet Archive https://archive.org/; you can download it here)
https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...apps-and-tools

Last remarks:
- when you insert the SD card and power on your Kobo Vox, you will
see something like "Congratulation! blah-blah-blah.... blah-blah-blah" on the last wizard's page. Don't press the blue button Continue, press the Home button on the tablet instead
- you can add Facebook and Google accounts (the patched wizard will skip this step) in the menu Settings
- don't use the Kobo app (I hope you understand why ;-)); use other apps for reading. Probably the best decision is just to delete this from the tablet (read the forum). And please, make a copy of your SD card before you do something
- sorry, but I don't know how to do it on Windows (maybe you can use WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) but I'm not sure). It's will be your homework ;-)
- I'm not a native speaker (as you see while reading this text :-)) I welcome the community to help people who will ask about technical details (''How to....?"). Also, read this forum as a source of information; a lot of information about Kobo Vox you can found here. For example, this topic is gold.

Good luck!
alopan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:52 PM   #17
alopan
alopan has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.alopan has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.alopan has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.alopan has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.alopan has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.alopan has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.alopan has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.alopan has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.alopan has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.alopan has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.alopan has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Vox
Maybe something wrong with the forum engine... Look at the attachment mentioned in the previous post here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KoboSetupWizard.zip (2.79 MB, 823 views)
alopan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:56 AM   #18
Ps1123
Ps1123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Error "process.com.android.provision"

Hi. I followed the steps and now I get this error.
"process.com.android.provision" has stopped unexpectedly .
Any idea what might be the cause?
Thanks
Ps1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:59 PM   #19
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Just a followup.

Yesterday a family member asked me to load some ebooks on her Kobo Vox SD card because she was having trouble downloading them. I was surprised she still had a working Vox because mine bricked a couple of years ago after a dead battery and software update. Even though I now have a better Android Fire tablet, I tried to start the old Vox again after charging it all night and leaving the charger plugged in. Same thing. It gets a connection error when signing in because it tries to connect to a blank page, https://partner.kobobooks.com/474/login.html

I'm not looking to resurrect this brick, just curious how hers would still be working.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 12:58 PM   #20
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
I was just attempting to resurrect my old Vox because my family member still had hers working. But I believe she never updated hers like I did, which bricked it. Anyway, even if there were a way to bring it back, it would be a fool's errand because the processor is so slow it's only good as an e-reader. Here is Kobo's page on discontinued and unsupported devices: https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...ported-by-Kobo
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote