Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-06-2017, 11:17 AM   #1
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch
issue with build kobo-update-4.6.9960 on Kobo touch original

when I try to read an ebook I get a black box/lineround a the page... once it is there it will not go away till I return to home/desktop.. but soon as I try to turn a page in ANY ebook that box appears... Never happened in previous releases..... See image for further clarification as to issue..

has anyone else experienced this and if so did you find a fix?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171006_161146.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	159336  
lohtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you have the night mode hack installed?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:04 AM   #3
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

had it on previous build but hadn't reinstalled it when issue appeared.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:37 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you sure you uninstalled night mode?
Old 10-07-2017, 04:27 AM   #5
lohtse
Groupie

yep I used the uninstall thingy majig but no joy.... even rolled back to previous build and did in and deleted the ini/sh files too

all I get is the mentioned issues oh and a black screen when in sleep mode
Old 10-07-2017, 05:22 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Well 4.6.9960 has been pulled for performance issues. Probably best to go back to the previous firmware.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #7
lohtse
Groupie

already have done :-D
Old 10-21-2017, 02:59 AM   #8
lohtse
Groupie

Now having the same issue with the LATEST version!!!!!!!!!!!

Even after a factory reset
Old 10-23-2017, 02:10 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sorry, I'm not seeing that on my N905 Touch. Which version of the Touch do you have?

And looking at the photo, some questions come to mind:
  • What format book are you reading? I am guessing that it is a kepub. Does it affect other formats?
  • The book progress is displayed as percentage. Does changing to another display change anything?
  • Does changing any of the font settings change anything? The black on the sides look like the margins. Does it change width as you change the margins?
  • What happens when you bring up the menus?
  • Does opening a Pocket article have the same problem? Or an image?
  • I think you are saying that when opening the book, it is OK, but changes to this when you turn the page. Is that correct? And if so, what happens if you use the navigation bar or ToC to change pages?
  • Does the black areas flash when you turn a page? Does anything show in them?
  • What page refresh option have you selected? And does changing this change anything?
  • Does it change if you turning the page takes you to a new chapter?
  • Can you try enabling screen shots and taking one? The screenshot is taken from a buffer. If it shows black, then the problem is earlier in the process of getting the page to the screen.
  • Exactly what firmware version is this? This is mainly to make sure exactly what you are using is documented.

I have no idea if anything in that will affect what is happening. At the worst, you waste a little time. And, when you report the problem to Kobo, you can point to this thread which will contain lots of information about the problem. The support won't look at it much, but if the link is included in the report, when a developer looks at the problem, they will look at the thread.

To take a screenshot, add the following lines to the config file:
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
Screenshots=true
With this, using the power button will take a screenshot and save it on the device. Unfortunately, it will stop the power button from putting the device to sleep or waking it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:48 AM   #10
lohtse
Groupie

Kobo Touch (original a version)

"What format book are you reading? I am guessing that it is a kepub. Does it affect other formats?"
Doesn't matter what format

"The book progress is displayed as percentage. Does changing to another display change anything?"
No same issue

"Does changing any of the font settings change anything? The black on the sides look like the margins. Does it change width as you change the margins?"
Nope black boarded persists.

"What happens when you bring up the menus?"
reverts to normal till I read a book then reappears

"Does opening a Pocket article have the same problem? Or an image?"
Doesn't Effect Pocket Articles

"I think you are saying that when opening the book, it is OK, but changes to this when you turn the page. Is that correct? And if so, what happens if you use the navigation bar or ToC to change pages?"
Black boarder persists regardless

"Does the black areas flash when you turn a page? Does anything show in them?"
Stays black no flashing

"What page refresh option have you selected? And does changing this change anything?"
Tried all options no change

"Does it change if you turning the page takes you to a new chapter?"
Issue persists

"Can you try enabling screen shots and taking one? The screenshot is taken from a buffer. If it shows black, then the problem is earlier in the process of getting the page to the screen."
Will do

"Exactly what firmware version is this? This is mainly to make sure exactly what you are using is documented."
Issue started with the one mentioned in the title and is still present in the VERY LATEST one as of todays date.

Thank you for your response..
Old 10-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #11
Tonysd
Tonysd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Try downgrading to 3.19.5761.
Tonysd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:20 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohtse View Post
Kobo Touch (original a version)
Because Kobo have released "Edition 2" of some of the device, "original version" usually means the one without the extra parts to the name. The Touch is trickier as Kobo released three identical looking devices with very different internals and didn't change the name. They do have a different model number. This is N905 (the one I have), N905B and N905C. The model number is on the end of the device. In general, they can be treated the same, but there are some problems that only affect one of them.

But, I'll assume you mean the N905 version as I know that's been mentioned elsewhere in relation to this.

Most of the rest is about what I expected. And unfortunately doesn't give a clue.
Quote:
"Does changing any of the font settings change anything? The black on the sides look like the margins. Does it change width as you change the margins?"
Nope black boarded persists.
I did have an extended play with my N905 Touch last night and couldn't reproduce what you see. But, I was able to get some flashes of the black margins after making a few changes in the font settings. Then sometimes the bottom bar would go black if I selected an icon from the top bar while I had the font settings displayed.
Quote:
"I think you are saying that when opening the book, it is OK, but changes to this when you turn the page. Is that correct? And if so, what happens if you use the navigation bar or ToC to change pages?"
Black boarder persists regardless
By this question, I meant do the margins display as black when you open the book. Your original post wasn't clear on this. It sounded like it might have been OK when the book was opened, then went black when you turned the page. I'll assume I misinterpreted it.
Quote:
"Exactly what firmware version is this? This is mainly to make sure exactly what you are using is documented."
Issue started with the one mentioned in the title and is still present in the VERY LATEST one as of todays date.
I really, really hate that answer. The "very latest" firmware can depend on where you are and what affiliate you have. There are a lot of people who have said that here and then discovered they were wrong. It only takes a few seconds to check the actual version number. But, I'll assume you mean 4.6.9995.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:03 PM   #13
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Which sleep/power off settings are selected (under Settings > Energy saving and privacy), and could you try ticking or unticking the "Show book covers full screen" box to see if it affects the problem?

(Just a guess, I don't have a Touch to experiment with.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:35 AM   #14
lohtse
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Which sleep/power off settings are selected (under Settings > Energy saving and privacy), and could you try ticking or unticking the "Show book covers full screen" box to see if it affects the problem?

(Just a guess, I don't have a Touch to experiment with.)
Tried as suggested and no change.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:20 PM   #15
Arien
Arien began at the beginning.

Hi, did you figure this out? My N905 is having exactly the same issue

Last edited by Arien; 04-05-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Arien is offline   Reply With Quote