Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-29-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
files not listed in the manifest

I'm trying to add covers to epubs I've downloaded from Project Gutenberg. I'm following davidfor's suggestion and using Calibre's Polish books function. After I run that on the following book, when I open the folder where the book is in Calibre's library and double click on the epub file I get Sigil's warning "Files exist in epub that are not listed in the manifest, they will be ignored" and clicking on the details button lists nav.xhtml. If I unzip the epub and look at the content.opf file it does list the nav.xhtml file in the manifest section. If I save the epub and then open it again the error doesn't appear.

For Polish books, the options I have checked are Smarten punctuation, Update metadata in the book files, Update cover in the book files, and Upgrade book internals.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/16334 (the no images epub)

Any ideas why Sigil is giving that warning?
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Since it's PD, can you post a version of the epub that is ready to give the error upon opening in Sigil?

Also ... Sigil version and O.S. ?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd forgotten how much I despise Gutenberg's file-naming protocol.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

At which point in the process are you converting the epub in question from epub2 to epub3? Or is that what the "Upgrade book internals" option in calibre's Polish does? I've not kept up with how calibre's Polish options have evolved.

EDIT: I appears I don't even know HOW to polish a book in calibre any more.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:10 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

OK. I got the error message to pop up. I'll try and see what might be going on. My guess is the nav is getting lost in the shuffle of the restructuring of the archive that Sigil requires. We don't typically need to move the nav for our own epubs, so something might be falling through the cracks, there.
Advert
Old 07-29-2019, 05:19 PM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I am betting this is caused by missing nav manifest property in the calibre generated update to epub 3 which happens with that Upgrade Book Internals option.

So you might want to save the calibre generated epub after the update and post the epub (as zip here). That way we can see what is confusing Sigil.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:37 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

No. The nav manifest property seems to be correctly set. The only odd thing I'm seeing (utterly ridonkulous gutenberg file-names aside) is that the nav document itself is created in the root of the archive (with the mimetype) instead of being alongside the opf file. Still, the href to the nav seems to be correct. There's some attribute errors in one of the html files (and warnings about the html extensions, of course), but other than that, EpubCheck seems to be content with the structure of the epub itself. Unless I'm missing something, I don't think Sigil should be throwing up that error. Especially considering that Sigil succesfully updates the href to it.

I'll attach the problematic version so you can join in.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Sundown Slim - Henry Herbert Knibbs.epub (214.3 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-29-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:51 PM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll take a peek. I am surprised that the physical location matters at all given how FolderKeeper actually works.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:56 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I'll take a peek. I am surprised that the physical location matters at all given how FolderKeeper actually works.
That was my thought as well.

I'm guessing that the error is somehow being triggered after the moving of the nav to it's new location and before the href to it gets updated in the opf. But that's not based on anything at all concrete: I haven't really jumped into it yet. We DID make a few tweaks to GetRelativePathToRoot() and few other functions in Resource.cpp recently didn't we?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-29-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:11 PM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Okay, I just pushed a fix to master. But as far as I can tell, this only impacts the warning message. In other words, the nav.xhtml file should actually be in Sigil correctly and in the manifest correctly and it is the only the warning that is messed up.

So until the fix comes out, simply ignore that particular warning.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #11
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Okay, I just pushed a fix to master. But as far as I can tell, this only impacts the warning message. In other words, the nav.xhtml file should actually be in Sigil correctly and in the manifest correctly and it is the only the warning that is messed up.

So until the fix comes out, simply ignore that particular warning.
Thanks guys!
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote