Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-21-2019, 07:50 PM   #16
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
PageEdit open to nothing (not an empty html file) and so ai am not sure what you are pasting into until you use open.
Kevin
It works fine even so. First I must click in the GUI before pasting and all is ok (dialog and icon work). But the weird thing is that Ctrl+V shortcut works even without doing nothing previously. By the way, congratulations for Sigil 0.9.16; the best Sigil ever! Great, great work!

Last edited by RbnJrg; 07-21-2019 at 07:53 PM.
RbnJrg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:03 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
It works fine even so. First I must click in the GUI before pasting and all is ok (dialog and icon work). But the weird thing is that Ctrl+V shortcut works even without doing nothing previously.
I'm not sure why Ctrl-V works without first clicking in the gui. I wouldn't expect it to. I would expect the cursor would need to be in the editing area for any pasting to be successful.

Quote:
By the way, congratulations for Sigil 0.9.16; the best Sigil ever! Great, great work!
Thanks a lot. It's definitely nice to be able to put the slowness issues and the memory issues behind us. That's for sure.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2019, 08:26 PM   #18
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I was about to post a 'works for me' message and an observation about the no file open situation. I suggest if there is no file open the text area be 'greyed out' - a'la the calibre ebook-editor.

I don't pay much regard to icons (I hide them when I can), but I do like PageEdit's icon

Why is it version 0.7.1 and not version 1.0

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:30 PM   #19
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not sure why Ctrl-V works without first clicking in the gui. I wouldn't expect it to. I would expect the cursor would need to be in the editing area for any pasting to be successful.
Ctrl+V does not work for me when there's no file open.

BR
Old 07-21-2019, 09:00 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Ctrl+V does not work for me when there's no file open.

BR
I honestly don't know why anyone would ever choose to use PageEdit as a standalone html editor. Sure, it can be done, but I wouldn't think it would be that useful compared to other existing standalone editing packages. But when used with Sigil's Open With feature, or with the new external html editor button/shortcut, PageEdit will ALWAYS be launched with a file open. And its integration with Sigil in that way is what makes it most useful, I think.
Advert
Old 07-21-2019, 09:02 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Why is it version 0.7.1 and not version 1.0
Why would we jump straight to version 1.0 on the first official release? Sigil still hasn't made it to version 1.0 yet.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:20 PM   #22
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I honestly don't know why anyone would ever choose to use PageEdit as a standalone html editor. Sure, it can be done, but I wouldn't think it would be that useful compared to other existing standalone editing packages. But when used with Sigil's Open With feature, or with the new external html editor button/shortcut, PageEdit will ALWAYS be launched with a file open. And its integration with Sigil in that way is what makes it most useful, I think.
Firstly, I was merely confirming your expectations.

Why would anyone...? Because they can, bigger/fancier often gets in the way of getting simple jobs done - e.g. The Gimp v IrfanView, Shotcut v Machete. Dreamweaver v PageEdit

BR
Old 07-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #23
brent63
Connoisseur
brent63 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab E nook
Isn't Dreamweaver a proprietary web development tool from Adobe Inc?

I downloaded the past releases of Sigil including the latest. I followed the instruction to download Pageedit, linked it and have used it.

Any way to get a spell check similar to openoffice?

Tried changing external editor to OpenOffice swriter and didn't like the look.

I often make major edits to my books using OpenOffice then cut and paste into sigil, now it looks like I will need to do that after opening Pageedit.

I also have Languagetool in both Sigil and OpenOffice, any chance plugins will be available in Pageedit?
brent63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:39 AM   #24
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Spellcheck was disabled in BookView as was replace. We were able to add back "find" capability in PageEdit master. So that will be in the next release. You can actually search using the Inspector in the current release.

I will look into what if anything is possible about spellcheck.

The real issue is replace. In BookView replace was disabled. The reason was (and is) that replacing text found by a search can actually include html tags that would get deleted unknowingly breaking parsing in the document. That is why search and replace should only be done in CodeView.

PageEdit was designed to be used alongside Sigil, so plugins and replace functionality, adding images, etc should be done in Sigil itself, reserving PageEdit for single xhtml editing and cleanups.

Update
I looked into this and QWebEngine does support limited spellcheck capability but this would require converting all of our hunspell dictionaries into some type of QWebEngine "bdic" compatible format and shipping them within PageEdit as well as extensive building and creating of context menus to handle language selection, replacements of a single word with suggestions, etc.

I really do not want to duplicate more of the functionality of Sigil in PageEdit. The user should just choose to save/close the file in PageEdit and run whatever more complicated tools, like find/replace, plugins, spellcheck etc inside Sigil.

That said, support for basic spellchecking without ignore and without additional user wordlists may be possible.

Last edited by KevinH; 07-23-2019 at 03:42 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:40 PM   #25
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Would it help if PageEdit had a single icon that did a save and then quit together?
Old 07-23-2019, 05:40 PM   #26
brent63
Connoisseur

Quote:
I really do not want to duplicate more of the functionality of Sigil in PageEdit.
I agree with your above quote, and will take a second look at using OpenOffice as my external editor. I have some presets in OpenOffice that after adding to or correcting parts of my epub I would then cut and pasted into the old book view with minor formatting issues that I would use find and replace to correct.

Yes I would add all pictures and other items in Sigil.

Thank you
Old 07-23-2019, 05:41 PM   #27
brent63
Connoisseur

Quote:
Would it help if PageEdit had a single icon that did a save and then quit together?
I have not had a problem with working back and forth between the two programs.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:06 PM   #28
KevinH
Wizard

FWIW, basic spellcheck support for Windows and Mac has now been pushed to PageEdit master for the next release.

Support for Linux is forthcoming once we figure out where the linux distributions will be keeping QtWebEngine shared Hunspell dictionaries that are converted to a binary ".bdic" format.

Hope this helps.

KevinH

Quote:
Spellcheck was disabled in BookView as was replace. We were able to add back "find" capability in PageEdit master. So that will be in the next release. You can actually search using the Inspector in the current release.

I will look into what if anything is possible about spellcheck.

The real issue is replace. In BookView replace was disabled. The reason was (and is) that replacing text found by a search can actually include html tags that would get deleted unknowingly breaking parsing in the document. That is why search and replace should only be done in CodeView.

PageEdit was designed to be used alongside Sigil, so plugins and replace functionality, adding images, etc should be done in Sigil itself, reserving PageEdit for single xhtml editing and cleanups.

Update
I looked into this and QWebEngine does support limited spellcheck capability but this would require converting all of our hunspell dictionaries into some type of QWebEngine "bdic" compatible format and shipping them within PageEdit as well as extensive building and creating of context menus to handle language selection, replacements of a single word with suggestions, etc.

I really do not want to duplicate more of the functionality of Sigil in PageEdit. The user should just choose to save/close the file in PageEdit and run whatever more complicated tools, like find/replace, plugins, spellcheck etc inside Sigil.

That said, support for basic spellchecking without ignore and without additional user wordlists may be possible.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:38 PM   #29
brent63
Connoisseur

Quote:
I don't know if it is a bug but when I when to paste some text with format, and the Paste dialog of PageEdit appears, if I select "No" (because I want to paste formated text), it nothing happens. I have to press Ctrl+V to paste text with format.
I to have the above issue, using Windows 10, 64 bit home.

I find that using OpenOffice Swriter is not a good external editor as the curly quotes get broken up as code.

I will still be using Open Office for my major edits but will now cut and paste into Pageedit rather than bookview as I did in the past.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:40 PM   #30
brent63
Connoisseur

Quote:
FWIW, basic spellcheck support for Windows and Mac has now been pushed to PageEdit master for the next release.
Thank you