Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-27-2019, 06:20 AM   #61
patrik
Evangelist
patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook InkPad 3
Yes, I'm familiar with how it works. Used it plenty happily.
Now, nothing happens when you click, anywhere, in the preview window.

(Clicking in the codeview windows moves what's showing in the preview as before.)

DiapDealer?
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:14 AM   #62
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Preview to Code View syncing works just for me in all my Linux testing. We had an issue in the 0.9.15 beta that would break PV to CV sync whenever an internal link was clicked, but that was fixed for 0.9.16.

What Qt version is your system? We had to make some concessions to allow Sigil to work at all on Linux with Qt versions earlier than 5.12.x. And based on the improvements to QtWebEngine from 5.9.4 to 5.12.x, the further back you go toward that 5.9.4 minimum, the flakier I'd expect QtWebEngine to be.

You could try downloading/installing Qt5.12.3 from Qt and building Sigil against that to see if it makes a difference (5.13.0 should work too--just stay away from 5.12.4).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-27-2019 at 07:17 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2019, 07:24 AM   #63
patrik
Evangelist
patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Qt 5.9.5. (Linux Mint 19.1)

Will get a newer Qt later tonight and recompile Sigil.

thanks,
Old 07-27-2019, 12:07 PM   #64
patrik
Evangelist

Yep, with Qt 5.12.0 it worked again. (Is it worth it to redo it with 5.12.3/5.13?)
Old 07-27-2019, 12:10 PM   #65
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Preview to Code View syncing works just for me in all my Linux testing. We had an issue in the 0.9.15 beta that would break PV to CV sync whenever an internal link was clicked, but that was fixed for 0.9.16.

What Qt version is your system? We had to make some concessions to allow Sigil to work at all on Linux with Qt versions earlier than 5.12.x. And based on the improvements to QtWebEngine from 5.9.4 to 5.12.x, the further back you go toward that 5.9.4 minimum, the flakier I'd expect QtWebEngine to be.

You could try downloading/installing Qt5.12.3 from Qt and building Sigil against that to see if it makes a difference (5.13.0 should work too--just stay away from 5.12.4).
Looks like I'm in the same boat: Kubuntu 18.04.2, with Qt5.9.4.

If I download 5.12.3 and install it as a user (into ~/Qt5.12.3 or something similar) how do I tell cmake to use it instead of the system's Qt?

Or should I do it some other way?

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2019, 12:34 PM   #66
patrik
Evangelist

You could make a script like this and run before the cmake (or set the envs manually).

Code:
#!/bin/bash

QT_BASE_DIR=/path/to/qt512
export QTDIR=$QT_BASE_DIR
export PATH=$QT_BASE_DIR/bin:$PATH

if [[ $(uname -m) == "x86_64" ]]; then
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QT_BASE_DIR/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:$QT_BASE_DIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
else
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QT_BASE_DIR/lib/i386-linux-gnu:$QT_BASE_DIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
fi

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$QT_BASE_DIR/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
Old 07-27-2019, 12:35 PM   #67
Doitsu
Wizard
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
if it makes a difference (5.13.0 should work too--just stay away from 5.12.4).
5.13.0 works fine on my Arch Linux machine.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:57 PM   #68
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

EDIT: I could have sworn I'd documented how to build Sigil with a Qt other than the system version with the Qt5_DIR cmake option, but that must have been strictly Windows I did that for. My apologies. I'll get that updated in the Linux docs.

The easiest way to build Sigil against a non-system Qt version is to use the cmake Qt5_DIR directive and point it to the Qt5 directory immediately under the /lib/cmake directory of the Qt5 installation you're using.

The binary installers for Qt install into /opt by default, so the bit to add to the normal cmake configure command will be something like
Code:
-DQt5_DIR=/opt/Qt5.12.3/5.12.3/gcc_64/lib/cmake/Qt5
(adjust the path for your version and architecture, of course).

After that it's just the normal make; sudo make install. The launch script will be adjusted automatically so that the new Qt version will be used instead of the system qt.

If you use PageEdit, I recommend rebuilding from the latest github. You can add the exact same -DQt5_DIR= path to its cmake configure command as the one you used for Sigil.

But I'll take a look at what's going on with the PV->CV sync code to see if something can be done to make it work with older versions of QtWebEngine. The main Sigil issue is that the Inspector won't be available with Qts older than 5.11.0. This sync problem really shouldn't be an issue in mind. If we can get you back to being able to use your system Qt5 versions we'll certainly try.

The only other thing worth mentioning is the binary installers from Qt aren't built with Proprietary Codecs enabled. So some audio/video html5 content that is supposed to work with EPUB3 probably won't work with those versions. If you don't use any audio/video in your epubs, you're good to go.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-27-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:57 PM   #69
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Quote:
If you use PageEdit, I recommend rebuilding from the latest github. You can add the exact same -DQt5_DIR= path to its cmake configure command as the one you used for Sigil.
Thanks! Assuming you meant PageEdit master, I rebuilt it against that, and now everything works fine. Even the inspector in PageEdit.

It's good to know how to use a newer version of Qt when necessary, since I doubt there will be a time when Kubuntu LTS releases will have the latest Qt by default.

Albert
Old 07-27-2019, 05:25 PM   #70
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Glad to hear it went well! And yes, I meant PageEdit master.

I fired up a Mint 19 VM and confirmed that PV->CV sync isn't working there, either -- with the system Qt5.9.5 (starting with Sigil 0.9.15). I should be able to use that to do some debugging. If there were unsupported functions used in Sigil's code, I would have expected compilation errors, so it must be something more subtle than that.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-27-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #71
st_albert
Guru

I don't recall seeing any pertinent errors. Just the usual warnings about "so-and-so is declared but not used" etc. (Applies to builds with either 5.9.4 or 5.12.3) Not that I was paying too much attention. I had cat sandboxes to deal with.

I don't usually edit in WYSIWYG mode, but I have this OCR nightmare (source was a pdf of a scanned typewritten -with a manual typewriter- document). It's a wonder the OCR software got anything useful at all.

Albert
Old 07-27-2019, 07:40 PM   #72
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
I don't recall seeing any pertinent errors. Just the usual warnings about "so-and-so is declared but not used" etc. (Applies to builds with either 5.9.4 or 5.12.3) Not that I was paying too much attention. I had cat sandboxes to deal with.
No, no. I wasn't expecting anyone to notice any specific compilation messages. The errors I meant would have been deal-breakers. If the compilation finished, and there were no runtime errors, then I would think the code we're using for two-way sync should be able to work. So I'm not sure what's up yet.

Since you rebuilt from master, can I ask if the new spell-check feature of PageEdit is working? You may have to actually click in the editor Window for it to start underlining words, but I'm curious.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:52 AM   #73
Doitsu
Wizard
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Since you rebuilt from master, can I ask if the new spell-check feature of PageEdit is working? You may have to actually click in the editor Window for it to start underlining words, but I'm curious.
It works fine for the bundled languages. Thanks for adding this very useful feature!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spellcheck.png
Views:	42
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	172622  
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:33 AM   #74
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Cool. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2019, 05:40 PM   #75
st_albert
Guru

spellcheck works for me also.

Albert