Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-23-2019, 11:15 AM   #46
Mister L
Enthusiast
Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
All toolbar arrangements and widget placement should be restored when re-launching Sigil. Just know that if you have multiple instances of Sigil open simultaneously, the last configuration of the last instance closed is going to be the one that's saved. All of the toolbar/widget settings are saved/restored from the Sigil.ini file.
That's what I thought, and I swear it wasn't working last night and earlier today but it did just now when I tested it, so my apologies and forget I mentioned it.
Mister L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:40 PM   #47
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I've found that with Sigil and PageEdit, changing the inspector theme will work regardless of any errors that are produced. The change just won't take effect until Inspector is relaunched (or in the case of PageEdit; until PageEdit itself is relaunched).

Why each of those inspector errors are being intercepted by Sigil's own inherent error dialog system is something we'll have to look into. But either way, you should be able to use the dark theme by dismissing all the errors in Sigil and closing/relaunching inspector. In PageEdit, you'll need to relaunch PageEdit entirely for the theme change to take effect.

This is all on Windows, by the way. I've not tested on other platforms.
- thanks for confirming.

After persevering with clicking buttons (which you know I hate) and restarting (Sigil & Page Edit) I managed to enforce the Dark theme on the Inspector gadget in both - and it sticks in both

Can you consider making the Inspector dockable in Sigil, or putting it back where it was - affixed to the Preview window. I don't like windows that I can't park somewhere. Attached is a screen shot of where I have it in Page View.

I ought to mention why I tried the Dark theme. I was looking for a way to increase the Inspector's font size. When nothing leapt out at me I thought I'd try the Dark theme and…. But now I have it working, I do find it much easier to read. But it leaves the question - is there a way to increase the Inspector's font size. Where are the Inspector's Settings stored ?

I have SIGIL_PREFS_DIR=C:\_AppData\Sigil\Prefs, could you add something to PageEdit to use that or a similar EnvVar.

No urgency about any of that.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-07-24 082043.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	172552  

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-23-2019 at 08:03 PM. Reason: replace screenshot
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2019, 06:58 PM   #48
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Can you consider making the Inspector dockable in Sigil, or putting it back where it was - affixed to the Preview window. I don't like windows that I can't park somewhere.
Making the Inspector a floating widget that can be toggled on and off was a conscious decision. We're not likely to put it back the way it was.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:10 PM   #49
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Making the Inspector a floating widget that can be toggled on and off was a conscious decision. We're not likely to put it back the way it was.
I think I understand why, the presence of the splitter bar wasn't obvious. Making it dockable is my first preference. But I will make more use of it in Page Edit - as a 'Code Preview'.

BR
Old 07-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #50
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think I understand why, the presence of the splitter bar wasn't obvious. Making it dockable is my first preference. But I will make more use of it in Page Edit - as a 'Code Preview'.

BR
That was a big part of it, yes. It's also a fact that Inspector is just not going to get used as much, as often, in Sigil proper--what with Code View being right there at all times. So rather than take up more space in dock-areas that are already getting quite cluttered, the idea was to fire it up when needed, and then just leave it turned off the rest of the time. Off in this case meaning disconnected and using no resources at all.
Advert
Old 07-25-2019, 07:58 AM   #51
rdean30
rdean30 began at the beginning.

Device: Xoom II
We're going backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwalper View Post
Yep, that's why I'm staying with 9.14. Tried the newfangled PageEdit - didn't like it.
Looks like this project is going backwards. It's like we've lost functionality. The tabbed interface was better, for writing books. Which I thought was the design of the program.
rdean30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:25 AM   #52
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdean30 View Post
Looks like this project is going backwards. It's like we've lost functionality. The tabbed interface was better, for writing books. Which I thought was the design of the program.
You're entitled to your opinion (though the notion that we got rid of the tabbed interface is quite wrong). I myself feel like we've gotten rid of a dead anchor that's been holding back a lot of future development/improvement

Sigil was never intended for authors to use to "write books." There's tons of software out there that's better suited for that job. It was intended to be used to create and edit epubs. But if you want to use Sigil to write books in Book View, then have at it. No one's stopping you. You don't have to "go backwards" with us. You can stay with the version of Sigil you're most comfortable with forever if you like. I mean, if what you're using is already everything you want it to be, why would you want to upgrade to the latest version anyway?

I find the notion that those who like using Book View have somehow "lost" that functionality very, very confusing. You haven't lost anything. We didn't come to your house and uninstall the version of Sigil that works for you. Keep on using it. Grab a copy of the installer for that version and hang onto it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-25-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:33 AM   #53
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone X/6/iPad 1,2 & Air/Surface Pro/Kindle PW
^^^^+1

Plus - all you have to do is click the button for PageEdit to get the functionality you had before....that's only 1 button click instead of the previous 2 to switch to book view. Sooooo...they have actually cut the amount of work in half!!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:23 AM   #54
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis1 & Voyage, iOS
Quote:
... I find the notion that those who like using Book View have somehow "lost" that functionality very, very confusing. You haven't lost anything. We didn't come to your house and uninstall the version of Sigil that works for you. Keep on using it. Grab a copy of the installer for that version and hang onto it.
This ↑ ↑ ↑ a thousand times.

I have an old html editor that I love. When the developer took v3.0 in a direction that didn't suit me, I continued using v2.0 — and that was over 15 years ago. It still works, even though the developer has long since closed up shop (thankfully I saved the installer).
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:46 AM   #55
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I have an old html editor that I love. When the developer took v3.0 in a direction that didn't suit me, I continued using v2.0 — and that was over 15 years ago. It still works, even though the developer has long since closed up shop (thankfully I saved the installer).
Off topic, I know, but I have to ask: Arachnophilia, perhaps?

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:10 PM   #56
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis1 & Voyage, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
Off topic, I know, but I have to ask: Arachnophilia, perhaps?
Taco! However, I'm transitioning my brain to BBEdit in preparation for the macOS 32-bit apocalypse. Though I will probably cling to High Sierra for as long as I can — another example of sticking to software that works for me when the developers head in a direction that doesn't suit me.

That said, I jump on Sigil updates, usually on release day. I just hope Apple doesn't make a mess of the notarization requirement such that development of Sigil for Mac stops.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:04 AM   #57
patrik
Evangelist
patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook InkPad 3
Hmm, now clicking in the preview window no longer moves the codeview to match. Didn't that get re-installed in .15 (or so)?
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:05 AM   #58
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Hmm, now clicking in the preview window no longer moves the codeview to match. Didn't that get re-installed in .15 (or so)?
Sigil 0.9.16 is working fine here on Windows 10 64 bit 1809.

For me that feature has been working fine since 0.9.13. I know this because I held off updating Sigil for a couple of releases while awaiting that fix.

BR
Old 07-27-2019, 05:12 AM   #59
patrik
Evangelist
patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.patrik can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
Sigil 0.9.16 is working fine here on Windows 10 64 bit 1809.

For me that feature has been working fine since 0.9.13. I know this because I held off updating Sigil for a couple of releases while awaiting that fix.

BR
Interesting, could this be a linux-thing?

Yeah, it's very useful and I was also happy when it got back.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:46 AM   #60
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Interesting, could this be a linux-thing?
I guess it could be a linux thing, especially if Qt has a dog in the race.

The CV Window positions to the start of the PV paragraph in which you click - not to the exact place at which you click. So, if you click at the end of a long paragraph in PV, the CV window could reposition some distance prior. Monitor, window and font sizes have a bearing. I often have the CV text size quite a bit bigger than PV text - which can create an impression its not syncing correctly.

BR