Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-22-2019, 08:27 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Ahh ... the old "Well I'm not going to be updating to this new-fangled version of Sigil!" passive aggressive compliant. I think this will mark our first "major" revolt since taking over as maintainers. How quaint.

We'll miss you (right up until you eventually come around and start secretly using the newest versions again).
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #17
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwalper View Post
That single click in 9.14 has me spoiled.
You can open PageEdit with a single click, too. (You can also simply press F2.)

Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2019, 08:51 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwalper View Post
Yes, I can (1) save, (2) close the editor, (3) open new chapter, (4) open editor -- too complicated for my liking. That single click in 9.14 has me spoiled.
Or you can skip steps 1 and 2 and and just open a new chapter in PageEdit. You can have multiple instances of PageEdit open for WYSIWYG editing simultaneously. No need to save and close before moving to a new chapter. Save/close only when you're ready to commit changes.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #19
pete6055
Connoisseur
pete6055 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,

Now that book view is gone, how do you get Sigil to render html that you’ve saved to the clipboard via a simple screen copy? It’s the rendering engine that was useful occasionally.

I suppose this can now be done outside of Sigil?
pete6055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6055 View Post
Hi,

Now that book view is gone, how do you get Sigil to render html that you’ve saved to the clipboard via a simple screen copy? It’s the rendering engine that was useful occasionally.

I suppose this can now be done outside of Sigil?
You can use the new PageEdit external editing app to paste in formatted text.
Advert
Old 07-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #21
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Not complaining, just hanging on to book view and not updating. Appreciated the warning that updating would remove it.

I can't think what new killer feature could entice me to move on, but will keep reading the release notes.
The version i already have is fine for my simple edit epub needs.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:06 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Not complaining, just hanging on to book view and not updating. Appreciated the warning that updating would remove it.
No problem at all. I really tried to spread the word that it was going away as far and as I wide as I could (and as early as possible). I'm just glad that someone actually took notice of the warnings before updating.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #23
pete6055
Connoisseur
pete6055 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks...finally tested pagedit. It worked well for me, and I'm "work adverse!" Problem solved...not much of a change to work flow, so 9.16 is ready to use. Nice work guys!
pete6055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:09 PM   #24
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Maybe I'm an outlier but I find the Preview window/pane sufficient. There's plenty of horizontal space on my monitor to have it over on the right.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Maybe I'm an outlier but I find the Preview window/pane sufficient. There's plenty of horizontal space on my monitor to have it over on the right.
If you're an outlier, I am too. I leave preview docked on the right and rather small.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
And if you reread the first post again, you can roll forward again to the latest version of sigil, then install PageEdit on the side...
I read that. But that seems like Apple's 'There's a dongle for everything' issue. Take a function that was already there, lose it and replace it with something that takes more work and is not as good.

I'm not questioning the dev's decision. I'm just going to stick with the version that works for me.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:34 PM   #27
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
One of the reasons I was looking forward to 0.9.15/16 is the cleaner interface without the BookView/CodeView icons in the toolbar.

I get that there are BookView fans and I appreciate that KevinH and DiapDealer went out of their way to create PageEdit as an alternative for them.

For me, when I first started using Sigil, BookView was a source of frustration. When I realized there was Preview (and how I missed that in the beginning I don't know — must have closed that window without realizing what it was), I became a Sigil convert. Before that I was editing epubs using an HTML (non-WYSWIG) text editor and quite happy doing it that way. The combination of Code View + Preview + Sigil's epub tools have spoiled me to the point that the thought of editing epubs without Sigil makes me panic
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:24 PM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
When I realized there was Preview (and how I missed that in the beginning I don't know — must have closed that window without realizing what it was), I became a Sigil convert.
You didn't miss it. It was never visible by default.

It still isn't. It really needs to be visible in one of the dock areas on a brand-new install, but I can't find a happy medium when presenting the default gui interface on three platforms. If I enable Preview by default on Windows, it takes over and smashes all other content/widgets to the left. It's huge! MainWindow seems to do a good job of initially sizing all of the widgets EXCEPT Preview for some reason.

I'll get it eventually.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:24 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'll get it eventually.
And just like that, I believe I've had a breakthrough!
Old 07-22-2019, 10:23 PM   #30
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
You didn't miss it. It was never visible by default.
Ah. In that case I don't feel so foolish

Quote:
And just like that, I believe I've had a breakthrough!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote